Login

russian armor

Soviets!!... What do we do now?

22 Aug 2013, 11:48 AM

I tried to play with T34 of course but it's not good enough especially if there is a pak(or Schrecks) on the field. All games I tried T34 I lost. One game I lost 2 T34s and because other player was so noob, I could make snipers and SU85 to finish him.
So to answer your questions We do what we did before sniper + SU85 and ONLY then make T34 to retain map control and consolidate position and save manpower.
22 Aug 2013, 12:06 PM

I played 2 games as Soviet last night and I've gotta say, I was extremely satisfied. The changes to the T34 were excellent. I was actually able to go T1>T3 and combat German T3. Although a T34 can't beat a P4 head to head, that is absolutely fine.

I ended up just stacking 3 t34s and rushing any armor. They dropped the fuel to 85 =0. Didn't even consider using ram once.
22 Aug 2013, 12:08 PM
Benefactor 115

I guess you should ram only if you have an su85 or a ZiS in the back, otherwise it's suicide
22 Aug 2013, 13:27 PM

any idea to what to do with soviet now after the patch?

Survive until you can bring the still broken SU-85?
And yes, I do play as Russians as well.

On team games, I'm starting with 1-2 conscripts, 0-1 M3 (depends on how many grens they have), and 2 snipers. Germans have a lot of problems with snipers until they can field scout cars. And the fact that you will force him to make a scout car kinda slows him down a bit.
My team mate goes T2 with ATs and mortars for harassment.

Mid-game is variable, but trying not to spend much fuel. Guards or T2+AT to keep scout cars in check. Survive the German T3 if he goes for it and get a SU-85 as fast as you can.
If you get to a point where you have 2 SU-85s, 2 snipers and 1-2 other inf squads... it's pretty much GG.

EDIT: And yeah, I haven't yet started using the T34, as I think the SU-85 is still ridiculous OP and I find it hard not to rush for it. But I guess that on team games you can have each player building a type of tank (one goes for fast T34 and the other aims for the SU-85).
22 Aug 2013, 13:34 PM

I dont know how good the german opponents I have been meeting in 2v2 auto have been, but they definitely weren't leaderboard tops. What I've been doing however as soviets in 2v2 is to do the same thing two PE players (similar tech structure) would do in old coh. In ancient coh:of two PE playes would often do a combined t1t3 + t2+t4 meaning they had all unit types available. I think soviets need to do this too.

This has worked well vs both heavy grens, heavy mg and combinations:

Soviet1: goes 3-4 conscripts and then builds a sniper and then techs to t3 getting a t70 or t34 out.

Soviet2: goes a few conscrips and then techs to early m3 flamers and then techs to su85s.

If they are contending with you by doing well with their infantry the stealing of a mg42 has consolidated many games. If you are even on fuel you get out your armor before they do a soviets and this is a window of opportunity to take vps and start defending.

I also find that soviets should focus on letting their tanks kill the german infantry and not fight the p4s and ostwinds and shit head on in rushes. Let the su85 deal with tanks.

And seeing as how conscript starts have a small capping advantage early game unless they go fast 2nd pioneer, I've found it to pay off to rush obvious buildings and stuff at the beginning to avoid the first mg42 to get into a very good position.
22 Aug 2013, 17:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 11:46 AMtuvok
haven't had any luck with my usual cons->m3+sniper->su85 strat, won some games using combined T2 and guards/doctrinal mortars though.
t34 is still useless bullcrap and su85 is seriously nerfed
oorah nerf is subtle but makes early game even worse

Skipping T3 and going straight for the SU-85 is no longer an option. T34s do a lot more damage now and if used correctly, can be a pain in the Panzer. Saw this with my own eyes yesterday, when I had a T34 creep up on a P4 from behind.

The 50% decreased movement speed when in Long Range mode was necessary, as it was nearly unbeatable if micro-managed correctly. You can still use it like you did pre-patch, only with the exception of needing another unit to scout ahead. If you don't put it in Long Vision Mode, it is still the beast it was before.

Like I said before, both parties are going to have to adapt their tactics and from this, a new meta-game will flow.

Update: Forget what I said about skipping T3 no longer being an option.
22 Aug 2013, 18:15 PM

2 cons, Molotov, base healing, t1, scout cars+flame for the engines, 2 snipers and 2(shock, guards, cons) depending on commander and in any order, t3, t34 spamming, t70 if he goes too much infantry. and win. if you are not winning adjust strategy accordingly.
22 Aug 2013, 18:21 PM

2 cons, Molotov, base healing, t1, scout cars+flame for the engines, 2 snipers and 2(shock, guards, cons) depending on commander and in any order, t3, t34 spamming, t70 if he goes too much infantry. and win. if you are not winning adjust strategy accordingly.

A valid strategy, if you go for Guard Rifles. If you go with Shock Troops, you have no valid response to the improved german T2. You could go for AT grenades and keep your conscripts together, but I don't know if they will be able to take down a Scout Car, let alone a Flamer Halftrack...
22 Aug 2013, 23:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 11:46 AMtuvok
haven't had any luck with my usual cons->m3+sniper->su85 strat, won some games using combined T2 and guards/doctrinal mortars though.
t34 is still useless bullcrap and su85 is seriously nerfed
oorah nerf is subtle but makes early game even worse

SU-85 has not been seriously nerfed. It is slower with focussed sight on so not as good at chasing things when it doesn't have a spotter. That is more or less all. I had one bust up 3 P-IVs and an Ostwind today with a guard squad out in front. Would've felt bad if the German player hadn't been making bunkers all game.

T34s actually pretty good... can kill a P-IV if you manage to outflank it.

The ram penetration nerf - I believe the chance is still 100% to ram a P-IV. Ram has more range but also more minimum range and requires better micro now.

I've played a couple of games as Soviets this patch (not a ton). So far won with T2->T3 and with T1->T4. Was seriously behind on fuel both games.
24 Aug 2013, 14:38 PM

It seems to me that basically the German tiers have units that counter the same Soviet tier.
For example the Panther>Su-85
P4>T-34, T-70, give the SU a run for it's money. Ostwind>All the infantry that ever existed
Pgrens, Flammens and mortars (especially MHT)>Any weapon team you ever owned.

I know it's a combined arms game, but with some well placed MGs and a scout car/flammen, I feel that Soviet play can be very easily shut down. I feel the soviets lack some proper mobile AT like the PGrens schrecks. Yes we have guards but their peashooters will not knock a medium tank around. Button is effective but I think a slightly more dedicated AT infantry unit might be required. A supported flammen will rape a supported Guard squad early game.

To be fair some of it may be my skill level. I don't think things are too outbalanced but I really find myself either winning outright from the start or struggling even when I've been doing rather well at the beginning as soon as the midgame comes about and shuts down my flanking and harassing.
25 Aug 2013, 08:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2013, 14:38 PMJonky

I know it's a combined arms game, but with some well placed MGs and a scout car/flammen, I feel that Soviet play can be very easily shut down. I feel the soviets lack some proper mobile AT like the PGrens schrecks. Yes we have guards but their peashooters will not knock a medium tank around. Button is effective but I think a slightly more dedicated AT infantry unit might be required. A supported flammen will rape a supported Guard squad early game.

Soviet AT is sort of split up. It consists of fast and mobile units which, won't deal a lot of damage, to chase tanks down and immobilize them (guards, at-nades, ram) and the less mobile damage dealers such as paks, Su-85, doctrinal tanks (I count the lack of a turret as a mobility deficit).

The germans on the other hand lack the stopping power against tanks but their units deal more damage while also being highly mobile.

So I think Sov and German AT is fairly balanced, although I think some sov units could need a slight buff to some of their AT.
25 Aug 2013, 23:47 PM

A valid strategy, if you go for Guard Rifles. If you go with Shock Troops, you have no valid response to the improved german T2. You could go for AT grenades and keep your conscripts together, but I don't know if they will be able to take down a Scout Car, let alone a Flamer Halftrack...

yeah that advice was 1 day before the patch. now its fucked.

what i have now. is go t1 t2 since "t3 t4 sucks"(debatable) and. try to get some call ins. a bunch of conscripts. a sniper a mortar and maxims. and use at nades as AT. wich is kind of weird.
26 Aug 2013, 01:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Aug 2013, 23:03 PMBlovski

T34s actually pretty good... can kill a P-IV if you manage to outflank it.

I'm not so sure about this. 1v1 I still think the P4 wins regardless of which direction they're facing. At least, I haven't seen a 1v1 end in the T34's favor yet, and that includes three instances in which the T34 front was facing the P4 rear (two of these examples were given in that original twitch broadcast announcing the patch). I think you still need to 2v1 the P4 to win, but it's certainly easier than before.
26 Aug 2013, 14:54 PM

At this point I tend to T2 - T3 and I've heard some good things about T1 - T4 (though I'm not sure it incorporates the new patch).

I basically rush T70s followed by T34s and I play very aggressively. It worked in 1vs1 on both occasions , though I'm not sure it translates well to larger maps. I believe this build has been posted before by someone else (or at least something very simular), though not in this thread. In both games I played with this technique, I didn't run into an early Scout Car, so when it happens to you, you might want to consider building some AT earlier on.

Use your engineer to cap your own fuel point. Build two conscripts and send them to your opponents fuel point. Don't upgrade to molotovs or AT grenades, conserve your fuel.

Go T2 and build 2 maxim squads. Go T3 and start building T70s (amount depends on situation). Then save up for your first T34 and build a Field Gun if you find the chance. (field gun can be replaced by other unit if found necessary)

Continue to build T34s, and use your floating MP to get supporting units depending on what to counter. If played aggressively, you should be able to hold both fuel points, so Panzers should be a rare problem. I went for Heavy Mortars on both occasions, because the enemy started to pump out AT Guns. This last bit really depends on what you are dealing with, but the map control superiority should give you plenty of an advantage to stand ground or even rush their base.

Like I said, it's a rather standard T3 rush.

Update: forgot to mention it, but extra fuel caches are also required, as early on as possible. I did it around the period my maxims were on the field.
26 Aug 2013, 19:23 PM

At this point I tend to T2 - T3 and I've heard some good things about T1 - T4 (though I'm not sure it incorporates the new patch).

I basically rush T70s followed by T34s and I play very aggressively. It worked in 1vs1 on both occasions , though I'm not sure it translates well to larger maps. I believe this build has been posted before by someone else (or at least something very simular), though not in this thread. In both games I played with this technique, I didn't run into an early Scout Car, so when it happens to you, you might want to consider building some AT earlier on.

Use your engineer to cap your own fuel point. Build two conscripts and send them to your opponents fuel point. Don't upgrade to molotovs or AT grenades, conserve your fuel.

Go T2 and build 2 maxim squads. Go T3 and start building T70s (amount depends on situation). Then save up for your first T34 and build a Field Gun if you find the chance. (field gun can be replaced by other unit if found necessary)

Continue to build T34s, and use your floating MP to get supporting units depending on what to counter. If played aggressively, you should be able to hold both fuel points, so Panzers should be a rare problem. I went for Heavy Mortars on both occasions, because the enemy started to pump out AT Guns. This last bit really depends on what you are dealing with, but the map control superiority should give you plenty of an advantage to stand ground or even rush their base.

Like I said, it's a rather standard T3 rush.

Update: forgot to mention it, but extra fuel caches are also required, as early on as possible. I did it around the period my maxims were on the field.

Long time Lurker, first time post;

I Like T2-T3 but, I'm having a hard time finding a reason to not go T 1/2 (who cares) to T4 and pick Guards +120mm Motor doctrine, Get both those units, and only get T2 for ATgun to support my enveitable Su-85.

However, Most low-level german players don't rush for Ostwind (why? i have no idea) and the meta game for low level, In my experience, seems to be "WHO's GONNA GET IT 1st?!" (PIV or SU-85).

Since I love the Guards + 120mm Motor Doctine (sorry, forgot the name), I love the Double (atk+) T34 Call-In since the recent T-34 buff; it's like a DOUBLE buff! :)

I always always always, get/try to get 1 fuel chache and either try to defend "that side of the map" or if my enemy is (what I like to call when my enemy attacks 1 area of the map the whole game) HeadButting 1 area, i build the cache on the oppisite side.

Lastly, i'm never afraid to go hunting for my enemy's cache, as taking it out early gives a huge advantage (due to wasting 200MP which is always about HALF-WAY to any unit).
27 Aug 2013, 13:49 PM

Right now I think T1 - T4 with doctrinal mortars/guards seems optimal. Although this doctrine may not be strong if the Germans manage to draw the game out for a long time and they start getting enough panthers.

The doctrinal mortars can handle the mg 42's and guards and scripts can handle the scout cars. Although I can't say I've dealt with a scout car spam. This strategy may not handle a spam well but can certainly handle a couple of scout cars. I don't like strategies relying on as squishy of a unit as snipers. Too much risk for reward. Personally I like fielding the 120mm mortar that beats german mortars and forces the 42's to die or move.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★