Login

russian armor

State of USF artillery

6 May 2018, 23:31 PM

Well to be honest after playing CoH2 for about a thousand hours I am also fairly burned out.

Even modded for some reason I just can't stand the game anymore.

While I find myself going back to CoH after some large breaks, for some reason the game just feels like a timeless masterpiece.

Even with the new units and features that CoH2 offers, which I absolutely love, like for example the new fire effects, vaulting, more realistic hull down, units coming off map, the USF having the M7 Priest instead of the M2 105 which I never really understood in CoH but whatever, the British having a mobile machine gun, the Comet, the MG34, the LeIG, the Pak 43, the E8 and so on and so on, I think you're getting what I'm pointing at, it just feels... dull I suppose, like it's too tryharding to be an e-sports game and Relic just lost their way by trying to be like Blizzard with StartCraft, and I think that's also fairly evident from Dawn of War 3 as well.

The game would be more fun if every faction had diverse opening units like ostheer and soviets. The game feels wrong when players exploit factional weaknesses. If I know some dummy is going to spam one unit, I should be able to smash him with a good strategy. Commanders are the only way to smash factional weaknesses, but they leave you without access to basic units(rocket arty,elite troops,heavy tanks, offs map for turtles,etc)
7 May 2018, 07:16 AM

really. that's a convenient unprovable falsehood you've found.

Whats the falsehood here? I dont see your point ,

could you clarify?
7 May 2018, 12:15 PM

The game would be more fun if every faction had diverse opening units like ostheer and soviets. The game feels wrong when players exploit factional weaknesses. If I know some dummy is going to spam one unit, I should be able to smash him with a good strategy. Commanders are the only way to smash factional weaknesses, but they leave you without access to basic units(rocket arty,elite troops,heavy tanks, offs map for turtles,etc)

Tell that to the people preaching that the Armies will lose their uniqueness then.
7 May 2018, 15:47 PM

Tell that to the people preaching that the Armies will lose their uniqueness then.

They still can be unique, but factions need to be able to beat checkmate strategies before they start adding uniqueness.Age of empires 3 was in no way balanced, but at least they gave the European factions tools to deal with spam.
7 May 2018, 19:15 PM

US Mortar It's fine and does it's job as a cheap counter to garrisons and smoke dispensing with a side of light fire support.

M8 Scott Doesn't do well in clearing out AT walls unlike rocket artillery but it does provide constant AI fire support and clearing out HMGs. Only issue is that USF isn't lacking in AI firepower and in ones I rather have a Sherman that can deal with tanks to boot while still having being able to dispense smoke (granted at a munitions cost but a small price to be able to deal with tanks). A good but misguided unit that doesn't due job it's meant but at least provides free smoke barrages and constant AI pressure.

Major Artillery Hahahah..wait you serious? Okay then it's a pointless artillery barrage. Doesn't do much damage nor comes down fast so utterly fails in the aspect of trying to make up for USF rocket artillery non-doctrinal wise. Now it can be decent at forcing someone to move their HMGs squads or AT guns but that's hard to justify for the price especially given how munition hungry mid to late game USF is. Doesn't mean that the unit itself is bad as anyone whose seen my USF replays I keep him around for recon support (which is absolutely needed to find and exploit a weaknesses in the enemy line), sometimes FRP, and a fast capping squad.

I would recommend making Major Artillery it like IR path finders artillery. Comes down fast and does good damage would make it perfect for clearing out AT walls which USF currently doesn't have a unit suited to such a job. (Calliope is pretty worthless in 1's and is quite awful with all the nerfs) IR pathfinders still have use as a actual combat unit that provides excellent line of sight.

Pack Howitzer Too expensive and barrages are quite awful unless you're close which makes it vulnerable to being pushed and taken out which is quite easy with the need to have three crewmen. It can be "decent" when it has WP rounds unlocked to blunt a assault which is good but outside of that it's not worth the cost compared to getting a USF mortar. Only thing I can think that'd help it is making the barrages cooldown much lower but making them more accurate and auto fire almost pointless.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★