Login

russian armor

Soviet Plague!

5 Feb 2018, 23:49 PM

I could really use some help with the 1v1 scenario when I play OKW vs. Soviet. The problem is fairly simple: If the Soviet player spams Maxims and follow up with the T-70 I'm toast. I've tried all the solutions I can think of (which aren't many):

Fighting the Maxims:

I've tried the ISG with incendiary rounds which would be a viable solution except for the fact that it requires constant micromanagement and protection since it can't retreat. It also requires too many ressources (since I have to have units that nearly exclusively is on protection detail) and too much micro management compared to the soviet player who can simply setup this squad from Hell and forget about it since it can hold it's own just fine.

I've tried preventing the Maxims from setting up be attacking deep in enemy territory but since they can setup (and pack up if needed) in the blink of an eye this doesn't seem to work either. The Maxim squad can escape long before I can put it down.

And yes, I've tried attacking them from multiple sides with little to no succes. Again: This method requires too much micromanagement and the Maxim turns and adjusts too quickly in order for it to be effective.

The T-70? This ace is incredibly powerful in my opinion: Highly deadly versus infantry, it's armor is waaay superior to the Luchs and don't get me started on it's circling ability versus the larger tanks in my arsenal. Helpful advice is highly appreciated since I love the versatility of OKW. Anyone?
6 Feb 2018, 04:14 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Feb 2018, 23:49 PMKKH3
I could really use some help with the 1v1 scenario when I play OKW vs. Soviet. The problem is fairly simple: If the Soviet player spams Maxims and follow up with the T-70 I'm toast. I've tried all the solutions I can think of (which aren't many):

Fighting the Maxims:

I've tried the ISG with incendiary rounds which would be a viable solution except for the fact that it requires constant micromanagement and protection since it can't retreat. It also requires too many ressources (since I have to have units that nearly exclusively is on protection detail) and too much micro management compared to the soviet player who can simply setup this squad from Hell and forget about it since it can hold it's own just fine.

I've tried preventing the Maxims from setting up be attacking deep in enemy territory but since they can setup (and pack up if needed) in the blink of an eye this doesn't seem to work either. The Maxim squad can escape long before I can put it down.

And yes, I've tried attacking them from multiple sides with little to no succes. Again: This method requires too much micromanagement and the Maxim turns and adjusts too quickly in order for it to be effective.

The T-70? This ace is incredibly powerful in my opinion: Highly deadly versus infantry, it's armor is waaay superior to the Luchs and don't get me started on it's circling ability versus the larger tanks in my arsenal. Helpful advice is highly appreciated since I love the versatility of OKW. Anyone?

Have you tried the flak track? It comes before the t70, and with a raketen backing it up (or well placed mine), it is impossible to dive by the T70. With proper sighting and targetting, the halftrack will win all engagements with infantry (even guards) allowing you some serious map control. It also has escape smoke and at vet 2 gets increased damage allowing it to almost actually kill a t70 solo.

It also forces any reasonable soviet to invest into some sort of antitank much earlier then they would normally - meaning one less maxim to deal with. If they do build a ZIS, you can take comfort in the fact they are slow and take two hits to kill the HT. Meaning, you can just drive yorr flak track to the other side of the map and go knock down a maxim over there.

Lastly, with maxim death loops, there's a high probability that you'll decrew one as well when it first hits the field (and you suprise them) and can steal it. As the HT will deal both suppression and reasonable AOE damage.

Assuming you keep the damn thing alive, it will continue to win you infantry engagments and hedge against those pesky IL2s.

For a more advanced suggestion play, try rushing pumas. They have a coaxial which deals decent damage and a turret which occasional kills models. Maxims can't do shit against pumas, so you can just drive up into their face and force them to retreat or die. Additionally, it hard counters the T70, and can even fight t34s with proper management.

6 Feb 2018, 05:49 AM

I only play 4v4s but agree with Troyd as always. The Flak Half Track is the best thing you can make now. I use it as a mobile Bofors pit. As Troyd said it needs sight or it can get rekt, especially Oorah con blobs. So I use attack ground a lot now to get it pinning units before they get within sight range. And it shoots thru some things like fences. Put it behind an object and attack ground murder stuff on the other side. Maybe even some Volks around it for sight/added attack and to faust the T70 so it cant chase your weak HT. But it is an investment so losing it will be very bad.
6 Feb 2018, 10:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2018, 04:14 AMTroyd

Have you tried the flak track? It comes before the t70, and with a raketen backing it up (or well placed mine), it is impossible to dive by the T70. With proper sighting and targetting, the halftrack will win all engagements with infantry (even guards) allowing you some serious map control. It also has escape smoke and at vet 2 gest incased damage allowing it to almost actually kill a t70 solo.

It also forces any reasonable soviet to invest into some sort of antitank much earlier then they would normally - meaning one less maxim to deal with. If they do build a ZIS, you can take comfort in the fact they are slow and take two hits to kill the HT. Meaning, you can just drive yorr flak track to the other side of the map and go knock down a maxim over there.

Lastly, with maxim death loops, there's a high probability that you'll decrew one as well when it first hits the field (and you suprise them) and can steal it. As the HT will deal both suppression and reasonable AOE damage.

Assuming you keep the damn thing alive, it will continue to win you infantry engagments and hedge against those pesky IL2s.

For a more advanced suggestion play, try rushing pumas. They have a coaxial which deals decent damagfe and a turret which occasional kills models. Maxims can't do shit against pumas, so you can just drive up into their face and force them to retreat or die. Additionally, it hard counters the T70, and can even fight t34s with proper management.

Thank you so much for this - maybe there's hope after all. I have previously tried the HT but I obviously need to get better at using it. I seem to recall that the firing delay it had (with the side panels having to open prior to firing) cost me dearly.

Just a quick couple of questions: What's the best way to provide sighting for the HT in your opinion? And I'm a bit baffled by the fact that you suggest that the Puma hard counters the T-70 - I get a small headache when I think about the last time I tried that :) I obviously have to work on my vehicle skills. What is the Puma's strengths and weaknesses in a direct confrontation with the T-70?

Thanks again for your advice!
6 Feb 2018, 10:59 AM

Maxims don't deploy as fast as they used to before the last patch. Now they are basically a 6-man MG42.

Regarding the Flak HT, use infantry in buildings to spot for it. Some doctrinal infantry units have very good sight range too like Panzerfusiliers with G43's or Jaegers.

As for Puma vs T70, the Puma has target weak point, defensive smoke and much more range than the T70. If you keep your distance there's no easy way for the T70 to hit you unless you get hit by an AT grenade.
6 Feb 2018, 12:21 PM

Maxims don't deploy as fast as they used to before the last patch. Now they are basically a 6-man MG42.

Regarding the Flak HT, use infantry in buildings to spot for it. Some doctrinal infantry units have very good sight range too like Panzerfusiliers with G43's or Jaegers.

As for Puma vs T70, the Puma has target weak point, defensive smoke and much more range than the T70. If you keep your distance there's no easy way for the T70 to hit you unless you get hit by an AT grenade.

Awesome, thanks! Will try.
3 Apr 2018, 17:57 PM

As a soviet spying on the enemy team, the thing to watch out for is your enemy seeing your puma and half-track and going SU-76 instead of T-70. In the right hands it can wipe squads as well as vehicles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★