Login

russian armor

Company of Heroes 2 Mines

19 Jan 2018, 20:25 PM

My question regarding mines in CoH2 is: why do they function differently than CoH1? I really felt that CoH1s mines were in a fantastic place - they deal high suppression (often pinning squads), while dealing moderate damage to infantry. However, they weren't gimped like CoH2s mines, and if you were walking around with a 5 man Volksgrenadier in CoH1, and happened to hit a mine while the squad was clumped and at low squad HP... OUCH, you could get a squad wipe. However, I believe this is a matter of risk taking and not RNG.

I understand historically, CoH2s mines dealt 100 damage to all targets and therefore often wiped grenadier squads completely due to their clumping and the 80 health of each man.

But, why was the fix merely to cap the number of casualties of the mine at 2 men? This to me is such a rushed band-aid fix - to tone down how lethal a mine is by limiting its power.

So I ask of the community, how would you feel about, if there were to be another patch, changing the mines to behave as they did in CoH1? This would be done by means of increasing suppression and greatly decreasing the lethal range of mines. AOE damage in this game has short/medium/long ranges. By merely adjusting the "short range" to something very small (so short range affects only squad members that hit the mine) you can make the mine lethal to all squad models that hit it, but reduce the mine damage to say, 50% at medium range and 25% at long range. With this setup, mines CAN have the potential to be lethal, but more likely will only kill 1-2 members most of the time, while severely damaging the rest. I think now more than ever, this change we be even better due to the changes in squad spacing.

Thoughts?
19 Jan 2018, 21:59 PM

I don't know if mines on doors were/are as much of an issue as it used to be in coh2, but having to lose a full health squad just because you didn't sweep every garrison and looked from multiple camera angles is just as bad as demo charges on capture points, if not even worse.
19 Jan 2018, 22:04 PM

I don't know if mines on doors were/are as much of an issue as it used to be in coh2, but having to lose a full health squad just because you didn't sweep every garrison and looked from multiple camera angles is just as bad as demo charges on capture points, if not even worse.

That's true; I didn't think of that reason. But would this still happen even after the new patch? Would be interesting to test. Maybe I'll whip up a quick mod to do so.
19 Jan 2018, 22:39 PM

The 2 entity thing with mines had to do with the above mentioned reason as a stopgap measure before squad formations, garrison loading, and squad ai were ever looked at.
20 Jan 2018, 13:10 PM

I don't like mines in CoH2 at all. At least when it comes to using them. I've lost could of how many times I placed S-Mines on a point, just to have the enemy infantry plow through and take the point anyway, no sweepers. They just don't do enough damage...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 25
unknown 5
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak