Login

russian armor

Reworked Doctrinal system

12 Aug 2013, 20:43 PM

If we compare CoH1 docs to CoH2 docs we can notice that CoH2 is like ancient game and COH1 a future one.

I've come up with this idea, i know that Relic won't abandon DLC stuff like commanders so new system must have them.

Let's take german docs for example - they will have 3 Doctrines that can't be replaced in lobby (for example, defensive, blitzkrieg and Terror) and each doctrine has 3 trees and each tree will have 3 abilities to unlock. These trees will be called commanders (DLC COMMANDERS ALSO) which can be changed in Lobby like it is now. So each doctrine can be made with it's own way, abilities unlocked like it was in CoH1 and i bet we would get many many more abilities and units.

http://imageshack.us/f/32/gkhm.png/

I think that this photo would say more than 1000 words :(
12 Aug 2013, 20:49 PM
Donator 11

could be interesting.
12 Aug 2013, 21:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Disregard

*can you delete posts?
Two
12 Aug 2013, 22:51 PM

Just bring back vcoh style doctrines :/
12 Aug 2013, 23:03 PM

thats what i wrote here, keep in mind that Relic won't abandon idea of DLC's
13 Aug 2013, 01:07 AM

So from what I understand what you're saying is this;

You merge the 3 commanders into a single doctrine, where you buy your way up each tree with command points? So for example I could go buy up to G43 on Jaeger Infantry and then get a Mortar Halftrack from Spearhead?

And by "merge the 3 commanders" I mean you pick 3 commanders before searching and that is your doctrine?

If that is the case, it's a pretty solid idea, I thought that was what Relic was gonna do in the first place when I first read about Commanders. I think it's the best way to meet the old style and satisfy CoH1 vets, while bringing flavor and variety to each player's playstyles and being a new thing that CoH2's dev team can claim was theirs.
13 Aug 2013, 01:34 AM

Actually, it sounds like you would select 6 commanders (2 per doctrine) before hitting the automatch button. Basically it's just the same as COH1 but you have some limited customization within each doctrine. When I heard about the DLC commander system, I assumed this would be the way they would handle it. I didn't realize they'd neuter it so badly. For what it's worth, I like your idea.
13 Aug 2013, 02:16 AM

I like the idea but it would force relic to rework everything. I want to believe they're willing to make big changes but do they have the manpower? Are they happy with the game and the way its designed?

I have to admit I really do miss the old doctrine setup. Currently, the games are getting dull too quickly and your doctrinal options run out if the games go longer than say 20-30 minutes. It then turns into a limited option spamfest. It's like eating cheap raman with some ragu store bought and comparing it to a nice ma and pop's Italian resturant. Yea, both are considered food but the homemade stuff will be a bit different each time, be higher quality, and will keep you coming back for more.
13 Aug 2013, 02:59 AM

Though I didn't play vCoH much, I like the first one's system better and like the suggestions here. The only thing is that it might be too much work as this basically splits 1 commander in half, doubling the amount of commanders and, with 6 commanders chosen, will increase the interactions between them (which might be a nightmare for balancing).

Maybe an easier way similar to the original suggestion is to just basically make each commander similar to a vCoH doctrine? Add an ability to each commander and split them into two trees, like so:

Then the rest of the system can either be the same as in CoH 2 (they can pick any 3 commanders) or, for something closer to CoH 1, be like the original suggestion and have 3 doctrines/commands. Mock up:
13 Aug 2013, 03:45 AM

Anything would be better than the current boring system.

Bring back the CoH Online system and I would be so, so happy.
13 Aug 2013, 13:22 PM

This is what I'd do;

Commander being mix and match(So you pick 3 and go into the game and that's your doctrine), and the abilities that overlap between commanders being used as tech switchers.
13 Aug 2013, 13:58 PM

Permanently Banned
Commanders are unbalanced, and superficially a DLC ploy.

My recomendation is to stop caring.
Not that I dont respect your enthusiasm and good ideas, but it aint gonna happen.

13 Aug 2013, 14:05 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Id like to see this back too, from TOV single player

more customization :P

13 Aug 2013, 14:15 PM

I would be happy if they just said that each ability is worth a certain point value, you have 15 points to play with, create-a-commander.

It's not complicated, would be easy to implement, and (assuming that the points values are already balanced) wouldn't unbalance the game.

It might, shock horror, even increase variety. After all, if I want the 120mm Mortar that instantly limits me to 1 doctrine, and I never get to play with an IS2 or SU150 (or whatever it's called). If I could replace the pointless radio intercepts with a mortar crew, or guards, or shock troops, life would be good.

Equally as some doctrines are more popular than others because the early game decides the endgame so heavily, then rather than rarely meeting certain units I might come across them if someone wants an Elefant to go with their Opel Blitz.
13 Aug 2013, 14:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Aug 2013, 13:58 PMNullist

Not that I dont respect your enthusiasm and good ideas, but it aint gonna happen.

Of course they are. It doesn't mean a good and interesting mechanic can't be made out of them. With the way I suggested(And others with theirs), they can still rob us blind with DLC and all that crap and be very much compatible with what we're suggesting. I honestly doubt they can add more commanders without introducing a tonne of new weapons and abilities, so milking us for DLC content wouldn't even be the worst thing in the world, given that if you know where to look you can get all the DLC now for like 2 bucks.
13 Aug 2013, 19:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Aug 2013, 13:58 PMNullist

You're right, I think we all realize this but it doesn't mean we can't try to make it better or try to help relic realize that the current system is really dull and uninteresting from a gaming and strategic standpoint (compared to vCOH)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★