Login

russian armor

When are heavy tanks appropriate?

24 Dec 2017, 07:59 AM

Hello all. Wondering what people think when they make they decision to put off getting medium armor and making the reach for 200+ fuel. How do you play the game during such a weak point? All ideas are appreciated, as im not 100% sure how each particular heavy fills its role or proves itself better than say 2 shermans or p4s.
24 Dec 2017, 12:51 PM

Most players "stall" for heavy tanks when they are on a back foot (lost fuel and also the lead).

They know that they won't be able to tech and get medium tank much sooner than 13 CP so they decide that they will "bypass" teching at all - they save fuel from not teching -, stick at tier2 and instead of getting medium tank at 10-12 CP, they wait for heavy tank at 13 CP.

But usually when you are not falling behind it is wiser to bet medium tanks to snowball yourself into victory and wait for heavy tanks in super lategame when you already have 2-3 + medium tanks so you aren't missing anything and definitely not have a weak point.
24 Dec 2017, 17:22 PM

Personally for me, I always take all factors into account when deciding to wait for heavy tanks. If I have enough infantry to support a single heavy tank vs 2 medium tanks, and/or enough to snare enemy tanks for my heavy.

Your amour is only as good as your infantry with it.
24 Dec 2017, 21:54 PM
Donator 11

It depends how you think of it. If you think that your mediums do there job, you shouldn't probably even pick a doctrine that has heavy support. But if you feel you will need something heavier in the late game and you pick doctrine with heaby, you usually want to get it as soon as possible. This means that if you are on the backfoot you skip teching overall. If you are in the lead you should have the fuel and cp for heavy exactly at the same time if your build involved only one medium.

Do mind that this is only valid in 1v1 and to some extent 2v2.
25 Dec 2017, 07:50 AM

If you are in the lead you should have the fuel and cp for heavy exactly at the same time if your build involved only one medium.

Do mind that this is only valid in 1v1 and to some extent 2v2.

This is not true at all, if you are in the lead you will be able to rush medium tank at 6-8 CP, much sooner than heavy tank (13 CP)

IT is always better to rush medium tanks if you are in the lead and hold both fuel because the medium tank will come much sooner and give you even better map control (now you don't have problem to hold both fuels anymore), thus you will be able to afford heavy tank at 13 CP as well. This way you end up with medium AND heavy tank.

In reality (1v1 mode) it is only wise to stall for heavy tank when you are on back foot, knowing that you will not be able to afford teching and medium tank much sooner than 13 CP.

If you are in the lead it's a waste of potential and initiative to not tech for medium tank.
25 Dec 2017, 08:24 AM

^
+1
I already saw a lot of players (include myself LUL) that have the "fuel lead" situation, but refuse to teching and crush his weak opponents whit medium tanks and let his opponent comeback .
25 Dec 2017, 23:38 PM
Donator 11

This is not true at all, if you are in the lead you will be able to rush medium tank at 6-8 CP, much sooner than heavy tank (13 CP)

IT is always better to rush medium tanks if you are in the lead and hold both fuel because the medium tank will come much sooner and give you even better map control (now you don't have problem to hold both fuels anymore), thus you will be able to afford heavy tank at 13 CP as well. This way you end up with medium AND heavy tank.

In reality (1v1 mode) it is only wise to stall for heavy tank when you are on back foot, knowing that you will not be able to afford teching and medium tank much sooner than 13 CP.

If you are in the lead it's a waste of potential and initiative to not tech for medium tank.

You did not understand me. I ment that he will have exactly the cp and fuel at the same time if he gets his heavy as a second tank, right after his rushed medium. If he is in the lead of course.

So in fact, yes, I completely agree with you, just pointed out that it is often good to build only one medium and then go for heavies instead of building 3 mediums for example. An I guess that is exactly what OP asked for.
2 Jan 2018, 13:37 PM

I think it also heavily depends on the map and the enemys army compositions, heavies can be quite situational.

For example a Tiger can be pretty useless if they have several ATG which you cant easily take out as a Tiger is difficult to reposition and also pull back when in the Paks range. 2 mediums may be able to cause better damage by hitting their flanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 40
United Kingdom 2
Germany 31

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak