Login

russian armor

Avoiding the tilt

1 Dec 2017, 23:15 PM

Hello you nice people of the internet.

After the untimely death of my old rig and black friday purchase of the new and better one, the hiatus seems to have messed with my strategic ability (I can't really blame it on the new and much better gaming hardware o_O )

I play as the americans but it has been a general pattern for me to be ahead for most of the game only to tilt and throw it all away in the end.

I have made some considerations on what I think I probably did wrong here, but would like some more specific feedback as well if anyone has time:

- I underestimated my opponents grenade dodging ability, which made me burn a lot of valuable munitions.
- I think it was a mistake going for armor commander. The reason I did was to be able to get the flamer and minelaying combo of combat engineers, but the better options would probably have been heavy cav for the mines for riflemen, who could also clear buildings with grenades. I still struggle more with americans because I usually rely a lot on mines for controlling the game.
- I teched for leutenant, but never got any of the t2 units which was a huge waste and mistake in hindsight. I should at least have gotten a 50. cal for crowd control and probably also a utility car, but I was afraid that I might be chased down by a 222 (though he never fielded one)
- I never teched for major, hoping to rely on wolverines in the beginning. That was probably a bad mistake as they don't seem ideal fighting under urban circumstances and the major would have made it possible for me to move my ambulance and retreat point forward which could probably have prevented the tilt.

Now that I have submitted myself to thourough self-criticism I hope one of you might take the time to finish me off and point out the more specific parts of the game where I messed up.

I'm here to learn so no need to mollycoddle me :)

Thanks in advance!

4 Dec 2017, 22:09 PM
4 Dec 2017, 22:45 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Alright i'm on this one
4 Dec 2017, 23:27 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

You got most of the points that you fell short in in your self criticism, however I think I can add to it as well.

You may not have gotten anything from the LT tech, but since I assume you were just teching it to eventually tech up to major it was alright. Yes a 50 cal would've been nice and probabaly prefered.

Don't really know why you teched captain when you had the fuel for major and then almost immediatly a sherman. Yes you wanted to rely on M10s and 105s, but still if you've got the lead on fuel by that large of a margin teching doesn't hurt. You have more options that way. Or you can do it the way you did, but then you need to take that lead and overwhelm your opponet before he can get proper counters to hold your attack. I.e. getting 3 M10s and swarming his Stug E

I'd say any of those commanders your brought were fine. Armor and rifle have flamers, heavy cav has pershing, rangers mines etc. All great, I use the exact same loadout as well. So I don't think going armor was a crucial mistake, however it needs to be used to overwhelm with the famous M10 train and bulldozers. That's one of the major keys to armor company. It's good because you can field so much for so little fuel.

I hate that map. I veto it with every faction I play and for good reason. The biggest reason is all the garrisons and the lack of flamers on 3/5 factions without doctrines. USF is one of those, so I'd consider vetoing this map.

As you saw how ineffective grenades are vs garrisons, I suggest a mortar next time instead of a 4th rifle. Another option is to overpower your opponet with BARs. Effective once you get them all equiped.

Last point is no weapon racks. This led to the vetted MG42 grens out scaling and out trading your unequipped rifles, which led to your eventual manpower bleed and surrender. On the same point, you kept pushing back into that left of center crossroad expecting a different outcome against a Stug E and pak. USF is a highly mobile faction. flank from multiple sides and force him to rotate.

Hope this helped.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

-ShadowLinkX37
5 Dec 2017, 09:16 AM

You got most of the points that you fell short in in your self criticism, however I think I can add to it as well.

You may not have gotten anything from the LT tech, but since I assume you were just teching it to eventually tech up to major it was alright. Yes a 50 cal would've been nice and probabaly prefered.

Don't really know why you teched captain when you had the fuel for major and then almost immediatly a sherman. Yes you wanted to rely on M10s and 105s, but still if you've got the lead on fuel by that large of a margin teching doesn't hurt. You have more options that way. Or you can do it the way you did, but then you need to take that lead and overwhelm your opponet before he can get proper counters to hold your attack. I.e. getting 3 M10s and swarming his Stug E

I'd say any of those commanders your brought were fine. Armor and rifle have flamers, heavy cav has pershing, rangers mines etc. All great, I use the exact same loadout as well. So I don't think going armor was a crucial mistake, however it needs to be used to overwhelm with the famous M10 train and bulldozers. That's one of the major keys to armor company. It's good because you can field so much for so little fuel.

I hate that map. I veto it with every faction I play and for good reason. The biggest reason is all the garrisons and the lack of flamers on 3/5 factions without doctrines. USF is one of those, so I'd consider vetoing this map.

As you saw how ineffective grenades are vs garrisons, I suggest a mortar next time instead of a 4th rifle. Another option is to overpower your opponet with BARs. Effective once you get them all equiped.

Last point is no weapon racks. This led to the vetted MG42 grens out scaling and out trading your unequipped rifles, which led to your eventual manpower bleed and surrender. On the same point, you kept pushing back into that left of center crossroad expecting a different outcome against a Stug E and pak. USF is a highly mobile faction. flank from multiple sides and force him to rotate.

Hope this helped.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns do not hesitate to ask.

-ShadowLinkX37

Thanks mate.

Yeah I think you have some good points. of all the commanders in my lineup I think I picked the worst on for the map though. the m10 is more efficient roaming open fields rather than close quarters urban maps and the assault grenadiers are quite a gamble.

USF is probably still the faction I'm least comfortable with and a major reason for this is the lack of easy acess to non-doctrinal mines. As such I think the heavy cav would have been better for spamming mines all over the place.

The armor commander also seem to give me tunnelvision as I hardly ever consider gunning for a major, because of the m10s. So being more flexible in this regard is certainly something I should work on as well.

Anyway, thanks for the revie3w. As you said I probably had already answered a lot of the questions myself already :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★