Login

russian armor

Penal Battalions

8 Aug 2013, 10:45 AM

These guys are so under appreciated. I love Satchel Charges, they're so ridiculously powerful.

Just saying.
8 Aug 2013, 10:55 AM

I feel the timer is a bit too short .... it results in half the squad dying and giving the enemy no time to react.

It is meant to be used against fixed emplacements but these days I've seen used a lot on squads and even armor.
8 Aug 2013, 11:02 AM
Donator 11

But for example when they throw charges, I always "suicide" 1 or 2 soldiers because they didnt move so far.

Strange.
8 Aug 2013, 11:24 AM

I feel the timer is a bit too short .... it results in half the squad dying and giving the enemy no time to react.

It is meant to be used against fixed emplacements but these days I've seen used a lot on squads and even armor.

Yup, I would go as far as to call it overpowered. I'm determined the AOE is larger than what it shows ingame.

My favorite thing to do with them is to put them in an M3, drive at my enemies, throw a Satchel Charge and run away. If they're in a clump, I'm getting at least one squad + another squad's worth of models. It's also a guaranteed kill on emplacements. Quite an amazing tool.

I also have a tactic called the Jihadi Ram where I ram a tank with my T34, drive up with a M3, throw a Satchel Charge and profit.
8 Aug 2013, 12:12 PM

Penal Battalion have a ridiculous damage output from their rifles - like 3x conscripts. Plus flamer upgrade. Plus Satchels rule, as mentioned. Plus you can reinforce them for the same price as a conscript using Merge and they incur no deficit unlike other squads.

Penal Battalion rules :)
8 Aug 2013, 14:46 PM

Penal Battalion have a ridiculous damage output from their rifles - like 3x conscripts. Plus flamer upgrade. Plus Satchels rule, as mentioned. Plus you can reinforce them for the same price as a conscript using Merge and they incur no deficit unlike other squads.

Penal Battalion rules :)

1.9 x damage compared to conscipts actually
8 Aug 2013, 15:02 PM

Merged conscripts would benefit from this damage upgrade ? Really ?
8 Aug 2013, 19:54 PM

Merge gives the model the stats of the squad it is merging into iirc. That includes the weapon. If that wasn't the case Merge would be useless.
8 Aug 2013, 21:07 PM

You bring to attention some important things about an underused unit. Can you throw the satchel charge without leaving the M3? How much does the satchel charge cost?
8 Aug 2013, 21:40 PM

Reinforcing with conscripts will reduce your reinforcement cost by 50%. Very effective. It's a shame with armour value of one (Same as conscripts) penals die to basically everything.
8 Aug 2013, 22:31 PM

Penals look so sweet, imo needs build time reduction so they are used in early game
8 Aug 2013, 23:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2013, 14:46 PMCon!

1.9 x damage compared to conscipts actually

Do they actually do double the damage, or do they have lower accuracy or something that lowers their fighting value?

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2013, 21:40 PMHissy
Reinforcing with conscripts will reduce your reinforcement cost by 50%. Very effective. It's a shame with armour value of one (Same as conscripts) penals die to basically everything.

So they can't stand against PG even with better damage?
8 Aug 2013, 23:58 PM

They actually do double damage. I actually think it might be more when you take into account firing speed etc but the CoH2.stats site doesn't exist anymore.

Vs PG's they will die as fast as conscripts but you can reinforce them for same cost with merge, plus they do more rifle damage, plus if you have a flamer upgrade the PG's will be unlikely to close with you to do their max damage =)
9 Aug 2013, 00:01 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

The downside is they cost 360 mp and t1 has such a long building time. So by going penals, you are already loosing necessary map control. They are strong tho, but i'd like to see them in a different strat, going 3-4 penals first is time consuming and most probably will hurt your teching + map control.
9 Aug 2013, 00:36 AM

No way in hell would I ever build more than 1 Penal. Building a unit doesn't mean you have to spam it.
9 Aug 2013, 00:46 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Way too expensive, should be around 300 as they lose to pgrens
9 Aug 2013, 01:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2013, 23:01 PMAbdul

Do they actually do double the damage, or do they have lower accuracy or something that lowers their fighting value?

So they can't stand against PG even with better damage?

Just used this. Don't know how accuracy factors into it. [GUIDE] COH2: List of infantry weapons by damage per second (DPS)
9 Aug 2013, 01:54 AM

I've found the best build that incorporates Penal Battalion is

-3-4 Conscripts
-Tier 1
-M3A1 with Flamer Engies
-Penal Battalion

-Sniper or Tech to Tier 4 depending on fuel

The Scout Car let's you take field control while you're getting your Penal Battalion out.

I actually don't upgrade mine with flamers till the very late game. It stops you wanting to charge all the time and getting them massacred and it means there is no chance of a flame pack detonating. Once they get vet they obliterate all even with just rifles.
9 Aug 2013, 02:27 AM

I have 3x Con ---> 1x Penal 1x M3 ---> T3, T34 + Guards Rifle Spam

I refuse to inflict that dull and boring ass SU-85 spam on people(And myself). My way doesn't work as well, but it works enough for me to maintain a high positive win rate.
9 Aug 2013, 02:45 AM

I find going Tier 1 - Tier 3 makes dealing with a Panzer 4 extremely hard. The only AT you have being Guards and T-34's. So I shamelessly go Tier 4 ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★