Login

russian armor

Penal Battalions

9 Aug 2013, 10:23 AM

Yup, it makes things way harder. But also more challenging. As much as a I shit on PzGrens /w Schreks, they're actually the perfect units to have against it, seeing as using a T34 requires me to be pretty aggressive.

On the plus side, if things are going well for me I can save up for T34/85.
9 Aug 2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

No way in hell would I ever build more than 1 Penal. Building a unit doesn't mean you have to spam it.

You sir didn't get what i meant. I meant instead of cons, you get penals. And how come you think it's a spam?

Anyway, i don't think penals are a thought out unit in this game, it feels they just don't work properly.
9 Aug 2013, 11:12 AM

Penals need more armour I think, they cost so much more than conscripts yet have the same armour as conscripts. Otherwise I think they are a pretty good late game anti-inf unit especially if you went for a doc with guards not shocks.
11 Aug 2013, 13:38 PM

Bringing out a M3 after 3 Cons means they can have an upgunned AC before you pull it out, not a great idea.
11 Aug 2013, 16:49 PM

dont get penals as your first unit or make more than 1-2 at most, you cede map control to a smart german player and will be outteched by a fast p4/ostwind or t2 which you cant really counter without guards or as many scripts
11 Aug 2013, 17:59 PM

dont get penals as your first unit or make more than 1-2 at most, you cede map control to a smart german player and will be outteched by a fast p4/ostwind or t2 which you cant really counter without guards or as many scripts

Actually one of my best builds starts with a penal.

T1>Penal>conscript>M3>flame engineer>conscript

With this the m3 and the conscript arrive on the field at the same time and all together make up a pretty good strike force that blows through the troops that the german most likely extended due to you not being so quick to the field.
11 Aug 2013, 22:47 PM

Actually one of my best builds starts with a penal.

T1>Penal>conscript>M3>flame engineer>conscript

With this the m3 and the conscript arrive on the field at the same time and all together make up a pretty good strike force that blows through the troops that the german most likely extended due to you not being so quick to the field.

so how is this a penal build, because you used one unit to cap where the germans werent? You are living on borrowed time once ACs hit the field and drive you back off. ostheer should logically have a muni/fuel/tech advantage at this point
12 Aug 2013, 03:46 AM

so how is this a penal build, because you used one unit to cap where the germans werent? You are living on borrowed time once ACs hit the field and drive you back off. ostheer should logically have a muni/fuel/tech advantage at this point

I usually use it with the guards motor commander as well. Get some guards out as soon as possible to deal with any T2 vehicles and then get out the SU-85 pretty quickly to deal with the T3 stuff. If all goes well you can stay a bit ahead of your opponent. It might not be the best strategy, but since its rather irregular it can surprise the german player and take out Mg squads entirely with both Penals and a flame car out early.
12 Aug 2013, 04:38 AM

Here is a replay
I can't attest to my opponents skill, but it worked nonetheless. It wasn't the best display and he rage quits pretty early.

I was just trying to show you that building a penal squad as your first unit can be a good strategy, but I agree with you that there really isn't a reason to build multiple and as the game progresses they become less useful due to their low armor. Building them as my first unit is the only time I've gotten any significant use out of them since it allows them to accumulate veterancy for late game and they have a edge on the grenadiers.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★