Login

russian armor

Blizzard 'Kills' XP awarded to last-hit unit

7 Aug 2013, 05:52 AM

Yes, awkward title, bare with me.
This bug was found by TradeMrk, and we did some tests.

The Premise:
According to TradeMrk, he noticed that units in base would gain vet for no obvious reasons - particularly during blizzards. Since they weren't taking losses (they were in the HQ) and weren't fighting (in HQ), there was no obvious source for this XP. However, there was something getting kills: The Blizzard.

The setup:
What we did was very simple; we loaded up a winter map (Langreskaya Winter), and got into combat. After a unit got a single kill (1 squad member), the unit would then retreat to HQ. In this case, a gren squad firing on Russian engies.

(We tested this with multiple units - I just took pics of one case)

The unit that took the LOSS would stay on the field until the blizzard started getting kills.

At this point we waited for the blizzard to start killing guys; and we saw what we expected.

As you can see, the gren squad has gained the XP and a 'kill' for the combat engie dying - despite being in base.
And again:

What's interesting is that when the 4th squad member died, the gren WAS NOT awarded XP or a 'kill'.

By using multiple cases, we came to the conclusion (or logical correlation) that the grens (in this case) were awarded XP based on 'assists' - basically that the last squad to damage a MODEL was awarded the kill and XP.

We're fairly certain that this is a bug; cold 'kills' should be neutral, in that they are attributed to player-error, NOT actual PVP actions. In addition, more 'direct' (although still indirect) kills, such as mines, do NOT grant XP via the assist function - neither by getting kills directly, or by triggering a 'last-hit' scenario for the engineers that planted them.

7 Aug 2013, 05:56 AM

Lol awesome find
7 Aug 2013, 07:16 AM

IMPRESSIVE
7 Aug 2013, 07:28 AM

hehe I like this one
7 Aug 2013, 08:01 AM

Good job!

The mine case got me thinking.. what if a conscript damages a grenadier squad, and the grenadiers then walk into a mine. Will the conscript gain last-hit xp?
7 Aug 2013, 08:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Aug 2013, 08:01 AMQvazar
Good job!

The mine case got me thinking.. what if a conscript damages a grenadier squad, and the grenadiers then walk into a mine. Will the conscript gain last-hit xp?

Unfortunately No it does not and neither will friendly fire we tested both extensively and it seems that when the unit is actively killed by either a mine or a friendly unit the kill is awarded to that source and not the enemy unit who last dealt damage.

The blizzard mechanic seems to give a neutral kill and therefore defaults to any unit who dealt damage to them last.
7 Aug 2013, 08:21 AM

TradeMrk and Doomlord52 the new mythbusters? :)
7 Aug 2013, 08:22 AM

Unfortunately No it does not and neither will friendly fire we tested both extensively and it seems that when the unit is actively killed by either a mine or a friendly unit the kill is awarded to that source and not the enemy unit who last dealt damage.

The blizzard mechanic seems to give a neutral kill and therefore defaults to any unit who dealt damage to them last.

Yeah that makes perfect sense. :)
9 Aug 2013, 11:00 AM

Although this may be a small issue is there any chance of a fix or confirmation that this is working as intended? :) thanks!
9 Aug 2013, 12:06 PM

I actually noticed during a blizzard that my cons were just walking around with periodic "+50XP" signs popping up. I thought it was just a display bug.
9 Aug 2013, 12:48 PM

wow..nice find
10 Aug 2013, 22:39 PM

General Winter is a nihilist.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak