Login

russian armor

Is this computer ok to play COH2? -- Dell XPS 27 AOI

5 Nov 2017, 00:57 AM
Donator 11

I know that some gamers would disagree, but if you are actually using your PC profesionally and gaming is nothing more than a hobby for you, you should think of spending the money you have for your PC on best components, like CPU, GPU, more or faster ram and so on and not on monitor. Gaming is the only field of computer usage where high refresh rate monitors make any difference and even there its not a big one. Definitely not worth the price of linked ASUS products, unless you make a living off gaming.
5 Nov 2017, 01:21 AM
Donator 11

I know that some gamers would disagree, but if you are actually using your PC profesionally and gaming is nothing more than a hobby for you, you should think of spending the money you have for your PC on best components, like CPU, GPU, more or faster ram and so on and not on monitor. Gaming is the only field of computer usage where high refresh rate monitors make any difference and even there its not a big one. Definitely not worth the price of linked ASUS products, unless you make a living off gaming.

I would agree generally - these premium monitors are stupidly expensive and I think 240hz is also silly BUT having gsync or freesync and moving beyond the archaic 60 hz fixed with dropped frames and halving to 30fps everytime your gpu drops below 60 (with vsync) is moving from 20C tech and should be high on the list of priorities

It's all relative - I owned my last monitor for 8-10 years which reduces the significance of price. If you buy a new monitor despite the painful cost you wants this tech (to above 60hz at least)
5 Nov 2017, 17:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2017, 23:41 PMmpjb

If I understand correctly this is a 240 Hz monitor. Do you also need to achieve 240 fps at minimum to benefit from the high frequency?

omg, it was sarcasm :*(
You don't need 240 fucking fps to play coh2 ... 20-30 fps is enough on a rts.

i could play it on my smartphone and still wreck most of the folks still hanging around on this game, you definately don't need to spend money on geting a better computer just because of 4k on coh2.
5 Nov 2017, 17:45 PM
Donator 11

Probably best to ignore saucisson masque - I've read many of his posts and concluded he was probably bullied at school.

No-one NEEDS this stuff but we're not called PC master race for nothing. At low fps (like 20-30) I find scrolling causes stuttering in this any many games.

On the monitor front good advice is to sink your cash into a great PC and then save up for a monitor in the future with 4k hdr and gsync/freesync when prices have dropped a bit (because the premium monitors are now 8k 500hz or something)
5 Nov 2017, 21:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2017, 17:45 PMArray
Probably best to ignore saucisson masque - I've read many of his posts and concluded he was probably bullied at school.

No-one NEEDS this stuff but we're not called PC master race for nothing. At low fps (like 20-30) I find scrolling causes stuttering in this any many games.

On the monitor front good advice is to sink your cash into a great PC and then save up for a monitor in the future with 4k hdr and gsync/freesync when prices have dropped a bit (because the premium monitors are now 8k 500hz or something)

Yes, I will first build a good PC and keep my old 24 inch FHD (1080p) monitor. I can decide after that if and what type of monitor I need. I'll also be using the new PC for CFD (computational fluid dynamics) and CRD simulations and Matlab programming. I think in the end a big 4K monitor will probably be beneficial for work and nice to have for games.
8 Nov 2017, 09:30 AM
Donator 11

That sounds reasonable, but keep in mind that even a gtx1080ti can still struggle in 4k, which is why most professional gamers rather use the aforementioned 1080p high Hz designs.

make sure to post your configuration before buying it, to avoid mistakes. which store are you planning to buy from?

oh, and fuck matlab, i`m currently using it for my master thesis and oh boy, i`m quite a bit fed up ^^

8 Nov 2017, 10:33 AM

That sounds reasonable, but keep in mind that even a gtx1080ti can still struggle in 4k, which is why most professional gamers rather use the aforementioned 1080p high Hz designs.

make sure to post your configuration before buying it, to avoid mistakes. which store are you planning to buy from?

oh, and fuck matlab, i`m currently using it for my master thesis and oh boy, i`m quite a bit fed up ^^

I think I will be buying from a local store here in the Netherlands:
https://www.computerstore.nl/category/211478/computer-onderdelen.html

Will try to build my own system according to the following configuration:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Virtual-Reality-155/Buy_182

but with a higher wattage PSU (750 watt), an extra 4 TB hdd and maybe a good high frequency 1080p gaming monitor from asus.

As the 8700K processor is currently in short supply (and expensive), maybe use the 7700K.

8 Nov 2017, 14:16 PM
Donator 11

I agree on the gpu - it makes sense to not go all out on this component at this point but instead plan the rest of the build to be futureproofed enough that you add at true 4K card in 18month to two years shortly after /before a monitor upgrade and then get 4+ years of happy gaming
8 Nov 2017, 16:00 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Nov 2017, 10:33 AMmpjb

I think I will be buying from a local store here in the Netherlands:
https://www.computerstore.nl/category/211478/computer-onderdelen.html

Will try to build my own system according to the following configuration:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Virtual-Reality-155/Buy_182

but with a higher wattage PSU (750 watt), an extra 4 TB hdd and maybe a good high frequency 1080p gaming monitor from asus.

As the 8700K processor is currently in short supply (and expensive), maybe use the 7700K.

some comments on this build:

-you dont need a 750w psu, 550 is enough, even with overclocking. quality of the psu is more important than that.

-the cpu cooler is too small, i would get a brocken 3 or macho rev. b

-waiting for the 8700k will be really worth it because of the additional cores. if you dont want to wait, go ryzen

- the 1070 is overpriced due to ethereum mining, the 1080 has strangely enough a better performance/buck. get a good custom design of the 1080!
8 Nov 2017, 18:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2017, 17:45 PMArray

yeah sure i was bullied at school :clap:

just saying you got much better things to do with money than to buy super expensive computer part, especially when the one you got can already run your game very well (even in 4k)
8 Nov 2017, 22:24 PM
Donator 11

yeah sure i was bullied at school :clap:

just saying you got much better things to do with money than to buy super expensive computer part, especially when the one you got can already run your game very well (even in 4k)

Sorry I was quite rude - I apologise, but you are also often quite snarky in your posts to people. COH2 doesn't need too much mainly because its 4 years old and even lower end systems can overcome its poor optimisation but I imagine th OP might be interested in other games too and ideally reap its value over a number of years.

4K HDR (10-bit!) is going to be the new standard format replacing 1080p. It's not quite here yet fully and hardware (and software) currently is either not quite at the format (see 8-bit HDR) and/or is overpriced. But give it a year or two and 1080p non HDR is going to look like the poor mans/womans choice - even console players will have better tech!

As ever technology needs to be bought yesterday or tomorrow. You sometimes have to spend a bit to enjoy cutting edge NOW and avoid buying something that's old hat in 12 months.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★