Login

russian armor

Fixed Starting Positions

6 Aug 2013, 18:29 PM

Is there a reason why they removed them back in old vCoH? If memory serves me right, originally factions always had fixed starting positions in maps and was later changed.

I can understand the philosophy of "spicing things up", but doesn't it over-complicate map balancing and design?

A lot of people in the competitive scene have voiced the need for fixed starting positions, particularly for tournament play, I was wondering how much impact simply assigning fixed positions to maps in automatch (keeping random option in custom games) would do?

From a map design perspective, you could design around the faction starting points, or is there an actually issue with this kind of change?

6 Aug 2013, 19:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Isn't there some kind of ad hoc consensus that has been used in some of the recent tournaments? Like, Ostheer is always south or west. I feel like I saw that somewhere.
6 Aug 2013, 20:29 PM

I never thought of it as a big deal. Mixed starting places has its benefits as well as its drawbacks.
6 Aug 2013, 23:39 PM

The reason why I state it, is actually for map balancing, more than just "fair play".

The advantage of random starting positions is that adaptability can come into play, and certain strategies become viable from that position, which otherwise wouldn't be feasable.

The disadvantage, is that certain maps can give a significant advantage to one faction or the other. Most maps rarely present this issue, but I can imagine that from a mapmaking point of view, it is A LOT easier to design and fix maps if you have at least that constant.

This is especially true when we consider that CoH maps are practically never symmetrical.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★