Login

russian armor

Why so much love for scavenge

9 Oct 2017, 08:19 AM

Most people playing okw keep saying when asked that scavenge is one of the best if not the best doctrine to pick.
Obviously which commander to choose is situational but i wonder why scavenge is picked so often, because to me it seems inferior compared to others commander generally speaking, when okw had trouble with munitions sure, but now it's a different story.
Would someone kindly enlight me on how you take advantage from this doctrine and tell me why you think it's so good?
9 Oct 2017, 12:29 PM

Most people playing okw keep saying when asked that scavenge is one of the best if not the best doctrine to pick.
Obviously which commander to choose is situational but i wonder why scavenge is picked so often, because to me it seems inferior compared to others commander generally speaking, when okw had trouble with munitions sure, but now it's a different story.
Would someone kindly enlight me on how you take advantage from this doctrine and tell me why you think it's so good?

I would actually like to know this as well.

My guess would be that it has something to do with the ostwind, but considering that this requires 8 CP it means that you would generally not be able to field this before about 15 minutes into the game. This is also the point where you can usually afford a P4 and your opponent is also fielding medium armor, which means that unlike the luchs, the time for anti-infantry armor has almost come and passed.

The JLI always seem underwhelming to me in a faction which can already field strong infantry, the improved scavange as you also mention is more of a complimentary buff which won't make much difference in 1v1, the barrage is not much different or better than from what you find in other commanders and the infiltration grenades can be nice but are also accessable from the (IMO) much more useful Spec Ops Commander.
9 Oct 2017, 13:00 PM

Jaeger light infantry are great adition to your army and synerzise really well with volks because they have a sniper rifle that snipes any model below 70% of health. Volks have high DPS to hurt models with their STGs and then JLI snipe wounded from behind the volks.

Ostwind is a really good call-in in current Light vehicle meta. First you can go double Luchs or Luchs + Puma to put huge amound of pressure on your opponent. Then at 8 CP (because you´re very agressive your CPs are acquired faster) you call in Ostwind medium tank that hardcounters infantry and light armor alike to win the game.

This build is very popular against the British Forces because they lack A) snare to soft-counter light vehicles (AC is hardcountered by Puma) B) they lack any 8CP medium call in tank (Valentine doesn´t count as it´s a joke on wheels :D)

Against Soviets and especially USF this build (and so the commander) become less and less used because Allied players learned how to counter this - M10 spam and Lend Lease Sherman is no the meta and both these vehicles counter infantry and Ostwind alike (well M10 only to some extend but USF player also can call in Bulldozer Sherman).

Anyway this commander is still great punishement against USF players that refused to go Armor Company - once you see Smoke offmap drop or Ranger you will know he picked Pershing Commander and so the Scavenge commander is a great way to punish him for not going M10.

The infiltration grenades are very cheap (15 munnition) and nuke any wooden house. They are very strong against maxim spammer players or against UKF (his IS need to stand still, UKF players use Vickers ...)

All other 2 abilities are meh -thorough salvage is more of a debuff than buff because usually you want to remove a team wapon from map with salvage and now the salvage takes much longer so its riskier, Artillery strike is nice but you wont build your 1v1 strategy around an offmap artillery strike.

CONCLUSION: Scavenge Commander was very strong before last patch because everyone was either going Brits, Maxims or Pershing and he countered each of these. Now he is still a great 3rd commander in your roster but he isnt your primary pick in most situation - Special Ops is much safer against meta Sov/USF - you can use infiltration grenades as well + Command Panther hardcounters M10/Lend Lease Shermans.

Hope I helped you, feell free to ask if you have any questions (eg what commander should I use in what situation ...)

Cheers
Hector
9 Oct 2017, 13:09 PM

Jaeger light infantry are great adition to your army and synerzise really well with volks because they have a sniper rifle that snipes any model below 70% of health. Volks have high DPS to hurt models with their STGs and then JLI snipe wounded from behind the volks.

Ostwind is a really good call-in in current Light vehicle meta. First you can go double Luchs or Luchs + Puma to put huge amound of pressure on your opponent. Then at 8 CP (because you´re very agressive your CPs are acquired faster) you call in Ostwind medium tank that hardcounters infantry and light armor alike to win the game.

This build is very popular against the British Forces because they lack A) snare to soft-counter light vehicles (AC is hardcountered by Puma) B) they lack any 8CP medium call in tank (Valentine doesn´t count as it´s a joke on wheels :D)

Against Soviets and especially USF this build (and so the commander) become less and less used because Allied players learned how to counter this - M10 spam and Lend Lease Sherman is no the meta and both these vehicles counter infantry and Ostwind alike (well M10 only to some extend but USF player also can call in Bulldozer Sherman).

Anyway this commander is still great punishement against USF players that refused to go Armor Company - once you see Smoke offmap drop or Ranger you will know he picked Pershing Commander and so the Scavenge commander is a great way to punish him for not going M10.

The infiltration grenades are very cheap (15 munnition) and nuke any wooden house. They are very strong against maxim spammer players or against UKF (his IS need to stand still, UKF players use Vickers ...)

All other 2 abilities are meh -thorough salvage is more of a debuff than buff because usually you want to remove a team wapon from map with salvage and now the salvage takes much longer so its riskier, Artillery strike is nice but you wont build your 1v1 strategy around an offmap artillery strike.

CONCLUSION: Scavenge Commander was very strong before last patch because everyone was either going Brits, Maxims or Pershing and he countered each of these. Now he is still a great 3rd commander in your roster but he isnt your primary pick in most situation - Special Ops is much safer against meta Sov/USF - you can use infiltration grenades as well + Command Panther hardcounters M10/Lend Lease Shermans.

Hope I helped you, feell free to ask if you have any questions (eg what commander should I use in what situation ...)

Cheers
Hector

Quality answer as always Hector!

I'll keep this in mind next time I'm facing off against a brit player (Although I seem to only be meeting soviets atm..)
9 Oct 2017, 14:01 PM

Quality answer as always Hector!

Thank you :sibHeart:

- do not go Ostwind when you think enemy has a fuel lead and will field cromwell soon. Then doublerakk into p4 is much much safer
9 Oct 2017, 18:51 PM

Cheers
Hector

Hey thanks for the detailed answer.
So based on what you say scavenge is picked more often in 1v1 right?
as a primarily 2v2 player i tend to choose: elite armor, spec ops and breakthrough as my 3 commanders, do you think it's ok? Or you would recommend swapping one for scavenge?
9 Oct 2017, 19:01 PM

Hey thanks for the detailed answer.
So based on what you say scavenge is picked more often in 1v1 right?
as a primarily 2v2 player i tend to choose: elite armor, spec ops and breakthrough as my 3 commanders, do you think it's ok? Or you would recommend swapping one for scavenge?

I do not like to butt in 2v2 discussion as I have never played 2v2 competitively, but what I know from the others the scavenge doc is not picked much in 2v2 - Commando Panther and Jagtiger is the meta.

I would not say scavenge doctrine is picked more often in 1v1 than other doctrines. The most picked doctrine is Special Operations because it counters current meta.

In short:

ukfukfAGAINST UKFukfukf

Go whatever you want, you can still win because they don´t have good medium call in tank - only crocodile which is countered either by commando panther or JP4

usfusfAGAINST USFusfusf

If you are sure that USF player isn´t playing with Armored Doctrine go Scavenger to punish him with fast Ostwind. If he is going Armored Doctrine go Special Operations to punish him for going Armored Doctrine

sovietssovietsAGAINST SOVIETSsovietssoviets

If you see Penals and Lend Lease/Counterattack Tactics in his roster pick Special Operations Doctrine.

If you see Maxims and commander without call in medium tank (eg Shock Frontline or Guard Motor) go Scavenge Doctrine.
10 Oct 2017, 10:21 AM

I do not like to butt in 2v2 discussion as I have never played 2v2 competitively, but what I know from the others the scavenge doc is not picked much in 2v2 - Commando Panther and Jagtiger is the meta.

I would not say scavenge doctrine is picked more often in 1v1 than other doctrines. The most picked doctrine is Special Operations because it counters current meta.

In short:

ukfukfAGAINST UKFukfukf

Go whatever you want, you can still win because they don´t have good medium call in tank - only crocodile which is countered either by commando panther or JP4

usfusfAGAINST USFusfusf

If you are sure that USF player isn´t playing with Armored Doctrine go Scavenger to punish him with fast Ostwind. If he is going Armored Doctrine go Special Operations to punish him for going Armored Doctrine

sovietssovietsAGAINST SOVIETSsovietssoviets

If you see Penals and Lend Lease/Counterattack Tactics in his roster pick Special Operations Doctrine.

If you see Maxims and commander without call in medium tank (eg Shock Frontline or Guard Motor) go Scavenge Doctrine.

Ok thanks a lot for the useful tips :)
10 Oct 2017, 10:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Oct 2017, 10:21 AManerkas

Ok thanks a lot for the useful tips :)

No problem :)
29 Nov 2017, 06:24 AM

Damn it... I opened this thread in another tab, posted mine, then realized this thread is literally about the same thing.

I've been using practically nothing but this doctrine since picking it up and giving it a serious go.

The sight range of the Jaegers is just too good to pass up. It allows engaging at longer range and generally clears up so much more of the map than you'd usually see that I just can't live without it anymore.

The amount of troop coordination I pull off and the better defensive arrangements I setup thanks to the increased visibility is just huge.

And having actual grenades on Volks is super valuable too. The Ostwind is surprisingly potent nowadays, and seems it's being somewhat buffed even further in the upcoming patch, so it's just such a powerful doctrine that I'm honestly searching for reasons to use any of the others (hence that new thread I made and now can't delete).
19 Jan 2018, 22:49 PM

this doctrine is good in blobs as well.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 29
Peru 14
United Kingdom 47
unknown 8
United States 3
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #