Login

russian armor

How to use the IS-2?

5 Sep 2017, 05:04 AM

I can't work my way with this unit. It doesn't even pay itself most of the time.
Everything penetrates it with ease. Once I've even saw two P4s bully it out of the map just by firing at the frontal armor.

Its supposed to be a breakthrough tank but I find it more usefull at camping VPs as it shreds infantry with its main gun and the mounted dshka.

It can't push a line neither slug against enemy armor. It feels like a very expensive infantry killer, something the KV8 already does by half of the fuel cost while also being decent at bouncing AT fire.
6 Sep 2017, 05:37 AM

As you can see, the IS2 is not a tank counter. It's just a heavier, slower version of the T34-85 with better splash damage and penetrating, but slower reloading speed. Which mean a jack of all trades, master of none tank.

So it's better against tanks than the KV-8. You should use the IS2 as a support for your main force, not slug against enemy armor. If no support it can lose to a lone Jadpanzer 4. You can push against enemy infantry but be careful it can go down very fast with schrecks and paks.

Really if you want to push an Axis line, better use T34s. At least this small tank have the number and the speed to do so.

Sorry for my English!

6 Sep 2017, 08:04 AM

It suffers from Tiger I syndrome. It isn't great stock, but only gets good when it becomes vet 2 or above.

For now, use it only when you face Ostheer on close quarters maps.
9 Sep 2017, 20:33 PM

It suffers from Tiger I syndrome. It isn't great stock, but only gets good when it becomes vet 2 or above.

For now, use it only when you face Ostheer on close quarters maps.

It's a straight up better tiger with less ROF actually, with same armor as KING TIGER but less damage than king tiger.
12 Sep 2017, 07:22 AM

It's a straight up better tiger with less ROF actually, with same armor as KING TIGER but less damage than king tiger.

It is a great machine to vet up your enemy's paks and stugs.
1 Jan 2018, 13:50 PM

What he means by " The Tiger 1 Syndrome " is that the Tiger wasn't very good until it gained some veterancy bonuses.

Personally, as a long time Soviet player don't bother using the IS-2. You're correct in your findings, it's expensive and not very effective for the cost. Better off building other tanks.

Personally, to counter german armor I spam Su76s, 3-4 of them does nicely. Barrage positions, and you can hard counter any tank out there.. and if you lose one it's so cheap it doesn't matter.

Mark target, and it's deadly.. push w/ Penals w/ Satchels and upgrades or Tank Hunters and german armor will run away.

As a side note, I'd bring out a Tiger anytime I can. But I almost never use the IS-2, maybe if it got an upgrade like the KV-1 where it was 35% faster to repair. But this tank (at least if I remember) was the Stalin Tank, designed to duke it out w/ Tigers as it boasts a 122mm gun and fires 60 lb shells. Yet it can barely fight any tank on the field sadly in game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS