Login

russian armor

artillery gun game

19 Aug 2017, 18:20 PM

Hello I have played this game where I tried this artillery gun strategy. The beginning was not working how I wanted it to. How can I improve my opening without doing a much different start? Also, this is my 4th game I believe vs a human opponent. I have tried to copy gameplay behaviour from streamers, the way they move their units and what they use to support them. Can I improve upon this?

Also, how do I fight the British double mortar emplacement effectively? It can kill my mortar in one hit or whilst it is packing up and trying to run away.

How can I improve in general? I didn't feel in control during this game.

Also, I like some advice on the artillery gun. When is the best time to use it and what way to use it? I tried to hide it in a corner, is that good?

Thankyou

Here is the replay:https://www.coh2.org/replay/62874/game-with-artillery-gun
21 Aug 2017, 02:59 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Hello there,

I'd like to say that you did a good job using the leFH 18. Good positioning as well. You had some really good RNG with your howitzer, allowing it to give you some great wipes (and making him Alt+F4).

Here are some tips that I would give you:

- Building rush. While this is how Langres is often played, it doesn't really work for WM or SU, because their starting units are very poor combat units. Every other faction can do the aggressive building rush; therefore I suggest that playing as WM you should rush into the building on your side of the map (to prevent your enemy from doing so).

- Build order. Build T1 with your starting Pioneer, then have your squad cap/building rush as you produce a Grenadier. Most of the time, Pioneers don't offer enough combat power in the early game to justify getting one so soon.

- Strategy. You floated quite a bit of manpower and decided that you were going to skip T2 and rush T3 with the assistance of one (later your built another) Fuel Cache. Skipping T2 as WM is quite unfavorable, because there are so many strong units in the tier.

Panzergrenadiers demolish Infantry Sections at mid-to-close range (don't charge them recklessly though).
Sdkfz. 222 Scout Car is a decent AEC deterrent (or bait), later you can put spotting scopes on it and pretty much see the entire battlefield.
Sdkfz. 251 Halftrack is great for reinforcing on the frontline, saving you time and allowing you to keep up the pressure. Alternatively you can upgrade it into a flamer halftrack, one of the strongest units against the Brits (wrecks mortar pit, burns down houses).
7.5cm Pak 40 is one of the best AT guns in the game. Good penetration, exceptionally powerful Stun Shot Vet 1 ability.

If you are intent on rushing for T3, this is what I suggest:
- MG42
- Gren x4
- Mortar x1 (against brits get two)
- MG42
This is a very heavy T1 playstyle. MG42s can lock down territory, your Pioneers (upgrade it with a minesweeper) can cap on the side, and use your Grens in pairs (control group would be good, if you use them).
- Fuel Cache (if you can afford it)
- Pioneer
- T3 (built by above Pioneer)
- StuG if enemy rushed Centaur/Cromwell, Ostwind if you are so far ahead you can afford another tank soon. Otherwise just get a P4.
- P4 (fill your popcap with these)

- Infantry Engagements. This is probably why you did not feel in control; your Grenadiers kept losing fights against his Infantry Sections. It is advised that you upgrade all of them with LMG42s after you get your medic bunker, which would give you a distinct advantage (until he gets double Bren guns, that is). Alternatively if you'd like to play very aggressively find a doctrine that provides G43s and give your Grenadiers those instead.

- Doctrinal Choice. I would suggest refraining from picking a commander until you really need it; you picked a commander fairly early and didn't use anything from it until mid-late game. Mechanized Doctrine was a strong pick against Brits because of the Howitzer, but otherwise you only used the Spotting Scopes ability.
Most commanders are selected to hard-counter your enemy's army composition/strategy; for example Mechanized counters Brit Emplacements. Festung Armor counter USF Heavy Cavalry.

Other commanders are selected to enable a certain playstyle; for example Osttruppen Doctrine allows you to get a ton of early map presence.

Please keep in mind that I am by no means a good player, just an average one (also quite rusty due to being on vacation and not playing very much!).

Hope this helped, good luck on the battlefield!
21 Aug 2017, 09:08 AM

Hello there,

I'd like to say that you did a good job using the leFH 18. Good positioning as well. You had some really good RNG with your howitzer, allowing it to give you some great wipes (and making him Alt+F4).

Thank you.

Here are some tips that I would give you:

- Building rush. While this is how Langres is often played, it doesn't really work for WM or SU, because their starting units are very poor combat units. Every other faction can do the aggressive building rush; therefore I suggest that playing as WM you should rush into the building on your side of the map (to prevent your enemy from doing so).
- Build order. Build T1 with your starting Pioneer, then have your squad cap/building rush as you produce a Grenadier. Most of the time, Pioneers don't offer enough combat power in the early game to justify getting one so soon.

I see. Well I messed up there! I will not to that again, thank you.

- Strategy. You floated quite a bit of manpower and decided that you were going to skip T2 and rush T3 with the assistance of one (later your built another) Fuel Cache. Skipping T2 as WM is quite unfavorable, because there are so many strong units in the tier.

I see! The reason I skip t2 and just focus on having a smaller force is because I can´t keep track of much more units than that I had in this game. I find it hard to keep track if I have more, usually losing my troops. Any tips on that?

Panzergrenadiers demolish Infantry Sections at mid-to-close range (don't charge them recklessly though).
Sdkfz. 222 Scout Car is a decent AEC deterrent (or bait), later you can put spotting scopes on it and pretty much see the entire battlefield.
Sdkfz. 251 Halftrack is great for reinforcing on the frontline, saving you time and allowing you to keep up the pressure. Alternatively you can upgrade it into a flamer halftrack, one of the strongest units against the Brits (wrecks mortar pit, burns down houses).
7.5cm Pak 40 is one of the best AT guns in the game. Good penetration, exceptionally powerful Stun Shot Vet 1 ability.

Cool, I haven't actually used these units that much. I find the 222 car to be very fragile and I don't like it as a fighting unit. Will try the spotting scopes om it! I also have not used the 251 very much, or the flamethrower upgrade. The problem with Panezrgrenadiers is that I find them so expensive and they only have 4 guys, so they die very easily, especially when I have too many troops and can't keep track of them. I have not used the at gun yet, I will soon!

If you are intent on rushing for T3, this is what I suggest:
- MG42
- Gren x4
- Mortar x1 (against brits get two)
- MG42
This is a very heavy T1 playstyle. MG42s can lock down territory, your Pioneers (upgrade it with a minesweeper) can cap on the side, and use your Grens in pairs (control group would be good, if you use them).
- Fuel Cache (if you can afford it)
- Pioneer
- T3 (built by above Pioneer)
- StuG if enemy rushed Centaur/Cromwell, Ostwind if you are so far ahead you can afford another tank soon. Otherwise just get a P4.
- P4 (fill your popcap with these)

Cool I will try this! The Panzer IV however, it feels very lackluster for the its price. I find it hard to fight the cromwell or the T34-76s with it. Am I doing something wrong? I don't push it in too far without support and I keep it in positions where it can't be flanked easily. But for the Panzer IV price I can almost get 2 T34-76s...

- Infantry Engagements. This is probably why you did not feel in control; your Grenadiers kept losing fights against his Infantry Sections. It is advised that you upgrade all of them with LMG42s after you get your medic bunker, which would give you a distinct advantage (until he gets double Bren guns, that is). Alternatively if you'd like to play very aggressively find a doctrine that provides G43s and give your Grenadiers those instead.

That is a good idea! Thank you!

- Doctrinal Choice. I would suggest refraining from picking a commander until you really need it; you picked a commander fairly early and didn't use anything from it until mid-late game. Mechanized Doctrine was a strong pick against Brits because of the Howitzer, but otherwise you only used the Spotting Scopes ability.
Most commanders are selected to hard-counter your enemy's army composition/strategy; for example Mechanized counters Brit Emplacements. Festung Armor counter USF Heavy Cavalry.

I see! I can improve here certainly. I did neglect 75% of the doctrine, I just find the artillery gun so cool lol.

Other commanders are selected to enable a certain playstyle; for example Osttruppen Doctrine allows you to get a ton of early map presence.

How do I get this commander? I don't have it in my game.

Please keep in mind that I am by no means a good player, just an average one (also quite rusty due to being on vacation and not playing very much!).

Hope this helped, good luck on the battlefield!

Your tips help a lot! Enjoy your vacation and thank you a lot!
23 Aug 2017, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I see! The reason I skip t2 and just focus on having a smaller force is because I can´t keep track of much more units than that I had in this game. I find it hard to keep track if I have more, usually losing my troops. Any tips on that?

Cool, I haven't actually used these units that much. I find the 222 car to be very fragile and I don't like it as a fighting unit. Will try the spotting scopes om it! I also have not used the 251 very much, or the flamethrower upgrade. The problem with Panezrgrenadiers is that I find them so expensive and they only have 4 guys, so they die very easily, especially when I have too many troops and can't keep track of them. I have not used the at gun yet, I will soon!

The 222 is a light anti-tank platform meant to fight off M3A1 Scout Cars, M20 Utility Cars, WC51 Jeeps, and Universal Carriers (the lightest Allied vehicles). It is not meant to waltz in and wipe all your enemy's infantry, but if you use it to support your infantry, you can definitely win engagements decisively. Spotting scopes on a Vet 2 Sdkfz. 222 are pretty much maphacks; especially useful on big team game maps.

Panzergrenadiers are very fragile but exceptionally powerful when used well. Never charge them directly at your enemy, always keep them in cover (or have them hop from cover to cover).

If you have a problem microing large amounts of units, try using control groups. Select a few units (preferably 2 of the same units, e.g. two Grenadier squads) and Control-(number). You can use 1 through 9 (zero maybe, I haven't tried it) and they will be bunched up into a group. Next time, all you need to do is press the number that you designated, and you will be in control of both units.

Cool I will try this! The Panzer IV however, it feels very lackluster for the its price. I find it hard to fight the cromwell or the T34-76s with it. Am I doing something wrong? I don't push it in too far without support and I keep it in positions where it can't be flanked easily. But for the Panzer IV price I can almost get 2 T34-76s...

The Panzer IV is arguably the most underpowered medium tank in the game. You are correct by playing conservatively with it; always support your tanks. Once you achieve critical mass (4+ Panzer IVs) then you can use them as a maurading assault force on their own (e.g. infantry offensive on the right, P4 mob from the left)

How do I get this commander? I don't have it in my game.

You can get commanders in three ways; first, you can buy in from the store (one commander is around 5 USD if it's not on sale). Second, you can get it as a loot box drop (very rare occurrence, it does happen though. I've gotten a few commanders via loot boxes so far). Finally, you can buy it from the In-Game Store with supply (the coins you earn in most loot boxes).

Your tips help a lot! Enjoy your vacation and thank you a lot!

Thank you for learning!

If you'd like to learn some micro tips and tricks, check out Tightrope's YouTube channel here.

Good luck on the battlefield.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS