Login

russian armor

1v1 Checkpoint USF v OST

25 May 2017, 08:07 AM

Hello again strategists! I return today more confident than when I started but disheartened after an hour long slog on Arnheim Checkpoint. I felt like as the game went on I struggled more and more. I lose paratroopers stupidly more than once, and never get in range to snare my opponent's tiger. Should i have left him to his devices and not wasted resources in mid, and just locked down the sides? What were my biggest mistakes beyond unit preservation? Should the P47 strike be placed behind the enemy armor instead of on top of it? I felt like I was winning most of the game, until my opponent requisitioned a tiger tank despite my fuel control. Looking forward to your advice.

25 May 2017, 12:29 PM
Strategist Badge

ill take a look after today for you :)
25 May 2017, 21:23 PM
Strategist Badge

Okay the cap order at the start was ineffective and strange. Make sure you are either going to connect the resource points very soon or just cap something you can connect right away.

You neglected the buildings at the start and if your opponent was a little more aggressive you would have had a really hard time getting them back. If you have a squad in the center it can also help you see what the other guy is doing.

You insta-locked (well pretty soon) Airbourne without having much reason too, i feel. You would have probably been better off with a commander with flamers or the calliope for better indirect fire.

You teched Major pretty early and while you did get a sherman out very quickly I think you didnt make enough use of the Sherman to when you had that advantage. When the sherman was on the field the other guy have one at gun and that was it. You probably could have ended the game at that moment. Else-wise i think you probably should have prioritized more infantry as you were very low on it for a long time.

Scotts can be good but i think if you mostly want to just win then a Sherman with HE shells is always better.

I dont think you have the micro skills to micro intensively two different fights on either side of the map, at least not against riflenades. In that case focusing on one fight is a better idea. If you cant win both fights, win one.

When you got the jackson the other guy had one Stug and 2 at guns. All of which make your jackson ineffective and it means you cant fight infantry with it. Shermans have a higher rate of fire, can fight inf and can take more hits. With Stug armour what it is the Sherman pens it fine anyway. Better to get more shermans and then go for a big rush and kill everything at once with overwhelming numbers.

Towards the end of the game you did get a little taxed, you blobbed and forgot squads here and there. That said you got unlucky vs that Tiger.

Things to focus on: micro of squads across the map (tactical map helps), knowing when to retreat to not lose squads, and using audio-ques to help you identify when a nade is thrown/shot.

There are many things you can do to learn, watch people like HelpingHans or Luvnest streaming and Tightropes micro tips and tricks videos.

The flanking at the start of the game was good tho and you had a good teching and build order over-all. I dont know if you have a standard build order you use every game but yours was fine for this game.

Food for thought the Thompsons on the paratroopers are very good :)

Hope this helps man! Goodluck!
26 May 2017, 00:35 AM

Your advice is much appreciated. I think I may swap Rifle Company into the Airborne slot, since most of my losses come from trying to make paratroopers work. In this game I wanted to use the open spaces to see how dual M1919s would stand up to MG42 Grenadiers.

The cap order was to ensure fuels were taken, but admittedy im not sure what a good cap order is or why a certain order is good or better than another. Any advice on this front?

Youre right about needing more infantry and shermans, it was a key hole in my play for the whole game. I had picked airborne to get a pathfinder squad and a fast m20, and completely forgot to get either. This was a big mistake and hurt a lot. It might just be in my head, but shermans seem useless even againt medium, let alone heavy armor. I find they bounce shots left and right, and get penned and die easily, essentially throwing away 110 fuel.

Lastly, is p47 strike meant to be so inconsistent? For 240 munitions, I expected at least a few solid hits on the Tiger, but felt like they just didnt do enough for the 480 I spent. If I will be forgoing this ability along with the doctrine, where is it suggested I spend munis that pile up once squads are upgraded? More nades? The lack of mines can be such a headache as USF.

Thanks again for the reply and time spent watching that terribly long game. Heres hoping I can implement what youve given me and close games out when I have an advantage. :)
26 May 2017, 09:42 AM
Strategist Badge

Here is how I use Airbourne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_hUPvW8dY

#shamelessselfpromotion

However yeah the strafe isn't great, but if you are going to use it, do so in conjunction with a larger push, so that the strike might finish off an already damaged tiger or help damage it so that your jacksons can finish the job. It is always quite the detraction, and remember that the zone is pretty big on it so in order for the enemy to get out the zone of fire tey have to move their tanks WAAAY back, so can be good to gain map back.

Can orders are as simple as: connect resources to your base sector and head for the area of the map that has the resources you want. Simply put just cap stuff in order. Later on once you have more experience and you have a definite plan, you can experiment but its generally better to not try and be too fancy with it.

Shermans are very good tanks for the cost, with LOADS of utility; the crew can rep its own tank, the smoke shells on it are great, the HE shells + 50.cal wipe inf all the time and the AP shells can deal fair damage to anything that comes out of Ost T3 and can handle a OKw P4 as well. Just dont they and play the Shermans like you would a heavier tank.

About the muni, Zooks can be a great way to keep your RE squads relevant in the later game.

Something i wanted to say as well is that you can play a little slower, prepare positions and formations. So keep a squad or two near your scotts (maybe a zooked RE and a rifle) so that when the other dude moved his (unsupported) pak up to fire at the scott you could have pushed it away or taken it.
1 Jun 2017, 09:19 AM

I thought I was having deja-vu when I watched it and realized I saw this game as soon as it was posted when I was researching how to play after WBP. Your Stuart was monstrous and the Paras were its teeth! Your poor opponent just couldn't keep up in that game. wp for sure. Your micro outclasses my own by a fair margin ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★