Login

russian armor

Countering Snipers with WFA

25 Apr 2017, 19:59 PM

Assuming that both players are equally matched, how does OKW/USF have to counter snipers? This is super annoying to deal with as my Volks/Rifles are being picked off 1 by 1 and losing engagements which have otherwise I could've won. Especially on maps like Faymonville where retreats to base are very short or Crossing where the sniper has a clear view around him. I could dive in with lights but afraid of mines, sending engies will often mean they get picked off instead. So far the only way to get the sniper is by launching an all out assault on where the sniper is(usually hanging out with his MG buddy) and sending a lone STG/BAR squad to pick him off in his retreat. It's very frustating and often leads me to make mistakes out of pure agony of the sniper. Without WFA doctrinal snipers, it's pretty much impossible to kill a well protected sniper except when he overextends. Also map control means less if you're constantly on a MP crisis trying to reinforce and tech.

P/S: If you're Viklas and reading this, yeah your sniper play was good. It was pure agony trying to get your sniper.
25 Apr 2017, 20:09 PM
Donator 11

There are 3 main posibilities:
1. Light vehicles - every faction has at least one that can easily detect snipers and often kill on retreat. Even if it doesn't kill the sniper, it still reduces your bleed becouse opponent can't go too far with it. Especially effective against brit sniper becouse of lack of snare, even though kubel my not sound like a dream vehicle for the job. M20 is also really good at it, just becouse of its mobility. It can also dive osheer base and come back alive if you can avoid eating a faust, which is a great advantage.
2. Light artillery - mortars and ISGs are very effective tools against snipers. The cool part is that they shoot automatically when the sniper reveals itself. Especially good against soviet sniper, becouse it has only 64 HP per model and so, can be wiped with one shot. And the shot doesn't even have to land dead on like in case of infantry.
3. Infantry flank - the most versatile one but you need most work to pull it off. Still, it is often the way a sniper dies. Especially good if it is a wide flank so your opponent doesn't know what exactly you are going after.

Bonus points if you can bait a sniper over mine - it happens from time to time.

Of course, later in the game everything can counter snipers, blobs, long range infantry, tanks. But the damage is already done so ideally you should be able to do it earlier.
aaa
25 Apr 2017, 22:23 PM

okw raks give a vision in front and hard counter sniper this way. Also falls and jags
26 Apr 2017, 01:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2017, 22:23 PMaaa
okw raks give a vision in front and hard counter sniper this way. Also falls and jags

Rakenten counter snipe sniper ???????? I like the way you think.
26 Apr 2017, 01:39 AM

Raketen counter snipe sniper, that's something I saw in 2v2 tournament a while ago. Raketen OP Kappa
26 Apr 2017, 02:07 AM

There are 3 main posibilities:
1. Light vehicles - every faction has at least one that can easily detect snipers and often kill on retreat. Even if it doesn't kill the sniper, it still reduces your bleed becouse opponent can't go too far with it. Especially effective against brit sniper becouse of lack of snare, even though kubel my not sound like a dream vehicle for the job. M20 is also really good at it, just becouse of its mobility. It can also dive osheer base and come back alive if you can avoid eating a faust, which is a great advantage.
2. Light artillery - mortars and ISGs are very effective tools against snipers. The cool part is that they shoot automatically when the sniper reveals itself. Especially good against soviet sniper, becouse it has only 64 HP per model and so, can be wiped with one shot. And the shot doesn't even have to land dead on like in case of infantry.
3. Infantry flank - the most versatile one but you need most work to pull it off. Still, it is often the way a sniper dies. Especially good if it is a wide flank so your opponent doesn't know what exactly you are going after.

Bonus points if you can bait a sniper over mine - it happens from time to time.

Of course, later in the game everything can counter snipers, blobs, long range infantry, tanks. But the damage is already done so ideally you should be able to do it earlier.

Lol brit sniper can snare light vehicles (with the vet1 ability) as long as it doesn't get obliterated while trying to do so. It still gets absolutely destroyed by kubels though.
26 Apr 2017, 02:18 AM

A lot of good replies already, I'll just add a bit. Snipers are 360mp compared to the 200-300 of a regular squad, and they don't shoot more than once every few seconds. If you engage his army with your entire army you theoretically have the dps advantage. It is pretty high risk high reward though. As OKW on many maps its easy, you just pick falls or scavange and pop a squad out of a building behind the sniper.

All that being said though, you dismissed one of the best solutions out of hand

I could dive in with lights but afraid of mines, sending engies will often mean they get picked off instead.

You send the engies (and another inf squad preferably) right in front of the light vehicle, then you avoid main chokes/roads once the vehicle has left the engineers behind. If you really can't sweep mines deep enough to push in with a light vehicle you should post a replay.
26 Apr 2017, 07:26 AM
Donator 11

Lol brit sniper can snare light vehicles (with the vet1 ability) as long as it doesn't get obliterated while trying to do so. It still gets absolutely destroyed by kubels though.

It does, but the sniper snare works different to most snares. If you manage to start the infantry snare animation you can be almost 100% sure it is going to hit. That is why driving through grens with light vehicle is not a good idea. In case of sniper snare, it has a significant aim time, that gets cancelled when the sniper has to rotate. So in fact it usually works only against stationary or slowly moving vehicles. If you know when the sniper is and drive in its direction, you will pass him before he is able to shoot the snare.
27 Apr 2017, 00:44 AM

It does, but the sniper snare works different to most snares. If you manage to start the infantry snare animation you can be almost 100% sure it is going to hit. That is why driving through grens with light vehicle is not a good idea. In case of sniper snare, it has a significant aim time, that gets cancelled when the sniper has to rotate. So in fact it usually works only against stationary or slowly moving vehicles. If you know when the sniper is and drive in its direction, you will pass him before he is able to shoot the snare.

Huh didn't know that. I always thought the thing was really finnicky but I didn't know why.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS