Login

russian armor

1v1 Brits vs Wermacht, can't keep up in tech

17 Apr 2017, 19:51 PM

I've been going through a British phase recently and been really trying to improve myself in 1v1s, but I'm not exactly sure what to do in this case. I can't pinpoint what I did wrong other than bad early early game play and losing time on a fuel point. I think I should have gotten an AT gun earlier due to being behind on fuel.

Retreating enemies really frustrated me this game, and I feel tons of enemies got out luckily. Doesn't excuse my loss though.

Thank you for reading.
18 Apr 2017, 07:56 AM

Gonna watch this one in near future (1 day max :) ).

If you feel over motivated there is still second unreviewed replay.
20 Apr 2017, 16:21 PM

Hello Bazzyboss,

First I want to apologise for late reply. Hope you will forgive me. Because of my late replay I tried to give you the best response I could. So let´s beggin.

EARLY GAME AND CAPPING ORDERS

The super early game capping order is extremly important, as you saw in this game. Your enemy went full-agressive and wasn´t prepared for it. That´s why I recommend you to stick to this capping order for this map. Yes, there are more agressive ones, but since you aren´t pro yet, I wouldn´t recommend them with Brits, because you do one mistake and you´re out of game. This one is my favorite and in my opinion also one of the best. It allows you to hold your side easily, waiting for enemy mistake, then gaining his part of map (especially cut off).

Look at the picture. You can clearly see that first IS (infantry section) must get your cut off (so you get income from fuel) and then rush the house - to disallow your enemy to get it - like he did in your game.
Second I recommend you to get Vickers HMG and rush house with it. Once you secure the house with the vickers, nothing except prolonger mortar fire will force you to lose your part of map.
Second IS should cap fuel ASAP
Thirs IS should get middle VP and then - if enemy made mistake not getting house/abandoning it in order to attack you, then get it. Once you win a fight on your side, move other forces there as well- getting his fuel/cut off. Vickers should be almost always in the house, to hold your side. Do note that once the vickers vet, nothing can pass through it (gets range bonus while in building at vet1).

Vickers
I want to recommend you to get at least one vickers on most maps, especially on open one like Langres is. Vickers will allow you to supress enemy infantry squads - forcing them to react(retreat) and thus giving your IS edge in the combat. Also it can lockdown key parts of map easily once vet - only tanks/artillery can flush it out.

I´m not going to tell you what you should have and what you shouldn´t have done in your situation in the early game because you f*cked the capping order and there isn´t much you could have done. Only think you could, though, flanking his HMG42 in house instaed of bashing your head against the wall. If you have got his cut off, he would have lost his whole income. Also you could have fought on the other part of the map, instaed of bashing against the inpenetrable HMG (you cannot counter HMG in house until you get sniper/flamer/mortar pit/tank)

!A general rule is to always stand still with IS, because they have almost 0 DPS when moving. Commandos and engineers should stand still as long as retreater is approaching them, and once he starts moving away from them, pursue him until he runs our of range/is killed/HMG or more squads cover his retreat.A tip about killing retreating squads

The mid game

Let´s start with your mortar pit position. I´ll tell it straight. Your mortar pit position was BAD.

Here is an image showing where is should have been built - behind the hedges in your base on left/right. A well positioned mortar pit is covered from incoming fire (hedges) and can also land waste on key positions - houses on your side of map. You needed to disembark the HMG. But your mortar pit couldn´t do it. Mistake. Next time position it in your base so it´s really well protected and can also fire at units in houses on your part of map.

Here I want to show you another image. This images wants to tell you what you should do with your squads. If you had position on his part of map, you should have secured the house there with vickers, so mortar pit is better protected. Royal engineer shown there should have went for real cut off (that really cuts enemy resources), instaed of getting "fake cut off".

The build order

Your build order was a bit messed. I want to recommend you to never get 5th member upgrade before first tank, you don´t need him. 4 member IS can fight unvetted axis squads on their own terms. And if you start losing, get ONLY brens weapon rack and give them brens. Or use infiltration commados and their grenades. Just please don´t get 5th member before first tank, 35 fuel is a huge setback and you will hardly recover from it even if you are winning in terms of map control. It´s not worth.

You need cromwell ASAP, to start gaining ground, getting agressive, fighting HMG´s and mortar off, pursuing sniper and fighting axis tanks on equal terms. Afterwards you´re free to get 5th member if you want.

Also don´t forget to get one AT gun after first engineer to not get ouverun by 222 or flammenHT.

And never buy grenades for the IS. They are wasted resources both munnition and fuel, they suck horribly. Istaed of them, stick to mines, lmgs and commados gammon bombs.

Infiltration commados
You need to flush the HMG out, it was positioned badly since you attacked it with engineers first time. Do not hesitate, buy the infiltration commados into house as shown in the picture , then move them, throw gammon bomb inside house (it will collapse, killing HMG inside), then get the mortar and do whatever you want with them. Just get that goddamn HMG, it was pesting you for such a long time already.

The cover fights and mines - holding territory

Last but not least I want to show you how and where you should keep your IS in order to win fights and defend efficiently.

Always get important houses when defending, enemy will have hard time to force your from houses but will defeat you easily in the open. Then priorise green cover because it grants you 50% damage reduction from both shells (mortars/tanks) and small arms fire. If there is no good cover nearby, stick to yellow cover, but only then if you are sure there is no tank/indirect fire unit nearby. Your squads are clumped in yellow cover and also get 100% damage from shells (only 75% from small arms though, and also IS get attack bonuses when behind cover), so they are easily wiped with a single shell.

And always make sure the cover is between you and enemy, becuase cover works directionally (except craters and bushes, they work always). Also cover isn´t applied when enemy squad is 10 or less feets near you (grenade min range is 5 feets for example).

!Always plant mines on important locations like behind key cover or on main roads. Mines win games. Infantry harmed and supressed by mines won´t win the fight. And extended tank with engine damage cause by the mine will hardly escape to safety - if you have AT source nearby ofcourse.COH2.ORG Tips

The lategame

I´m not going into this stage of game, because your previous mistakes already led you to loss. And panzer 4 against unprepared army was the last nail in the coffin.

I hope you will get something from this review. If you don´t understand anything, feel free to ask, thats why I´m here. No matter if you don´t understand my sentence or you don´t understand why I adviced you something or you want general discussion about some unit/strategy/build order. That´s why I´m here after all. And don´t be ashmed if you do not understand something, I´m not a native speaker after all and if you don´t understand it, I´ll try to explain it somehow else

GL on the battlefield Commrade.

20 Apr 2017, 16:21 PM

20 Apr 2017, 17:36 PM

Hello Bazzyboss,

First I want to apologise for late reply. Hope you will forgive me. Because of my late replay I tried to give you the best response I could. So let´s beggin.

It's a great review and I have no problems with the time, I appreciate all the work on the replay reviews here.

Your build order was a bit messed. I want to recommend you to never get 5th member upgrade before first tank, you don´t need him. 4 member IS can fight unvetted axis squads on their own terms. And if you start losing, get ONLY brens weapon rack and give them brens

This sounds like it might work with Wermacht enemies, but what about OKW squads? Their STGs make me feel like I would need the additional firepower to hold control of the map and keep up.

And never buy grenades for the IS. They are wasted resources both munnition and fuel, they suck horribly,Istaed of them, stick to mines, lmgs and commados gammon bombs.

But how do you deal with MG building rushes in the very early game? The Mortar pit needs tech and an engineer squad, and Infiltration commandos come at 3 CPs.

And by lmgs, do you mean forcing them out the buildings with purely brens?

Your squads are clumped in yellow cover and also get 100% damage from shells (only 75% from small arms though, and also IS get attack bonuses when behind cover), so they are easily wiped with a single shell.

I didn't know that about the shells, thanks! Main reason I cling to cover so much is the cover bonus on the squads, I may be overrating it.

The mortar pit placement I understand, emplacements are one of my very weak points. Thank you for the time and effort, especially with the map drawings.
20 Apr 2017, 18:07 PM

It's a great review and I have no problems with the time, I appreciate all the work on the replay reviews here.

This sounds like it might work with Wermacht enemies, but what about OKW squads? Their STGs make me feel like I would need the additional firepower to hold control of the map and keep up.

Always stay behind cover at long range when fighting against stg volks. I think it´s pretty much to same if you fight LMG grens or STG volks. Both will outfight you on equal terms, so you either tech for brens or use enviroment as your friend (using houses, green cover).

There is nothing bad at gatting bren upgrade if it helps you, just don´t get 5th member upgrade before first tank.

Also I think IS outfight volks with STG at long range but cannot outfight grens with LMG at long range.

But how do you deal with MG building rushes in the very early game? The Mortar pit needs tech and an engineer squad, and Infiltration commandos come at 3 CPs.

You cannot. That´s why you must always get the important house first (look at the capping order), so you can hold your ground until you get right tools.

And by lmgs, do you mean forcing them out the buildings with purely brens?

Normal infantry is forced to ungarrison much easily. You don´t have to worry about the supression, so all you have to do is to charge with engineers with flamers while IS covers you. If he stays in building, he will burn. If he ungarrison, your engineers will take building and together with IS will outfight him. This is called putting enemy into lose-lose situation.

I didn't know that about the shells, thanks! Main reason I cling to cover so much is the cover bonus on the squads, I may be overrating it.

Always stick to cover to get defensive and offensive bonuses, but not at the cost of putting your squads under risk of losing them because of lucky mortar shot.

The mortar pit placement I understand, emplacements are one of my very weak points. Thank you for the time and effort, especially with the map drawings.

There can be written a guide about emplacements and mortar pit in general. Oh wait ...

Mortar emplacement guide 2017
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight