Login

russian armor

DoW 3 open beta

22 Apr 2017, 13:13 PM
Patrion 15

It's a very fun RTS but makes you ashamed of spending money on It.
I feel like this game could be my guilty pleasure
22 Apr 2017, 14:10 PM

Another Relic's game where you can't customize your hotkeys in game. Relic doesn't learn.
22 Apr 2017, 15:07 PM
Benefactor 115

Its fine for a bit of casual fun but I don't think it will have any legs competitively.

That's fine though just don't get yourself worked up thinking there's gonna be massive live events and tournaments.

Relic will make a dogs dinner of the post launch support as they usually do.
22 Apr 2017, 18:30 PM

The game is boring and not dynamic, the classic mode with points (or one point) makes the game more dynamic. The absence of defensive structures also upsets me. The monotonous gameplay, the factions are pretty similar. This game is a cut off mix of Dawn of War + Dawn of War 2 + Company of Heroes
23 Apr 2017, 10:36 AM
Donator 11

I for one will not get DOW3 after trying out the open beta.

The game is BOORING and is all about blobbing. Units has no value whatsoever, there are no cover or armor play.

Just make 2000 req worth of, say, marines and attack move. Then micro the hero to whipe entire armies.

After 10 minutes or so the game is just a grind, you often have so much firepower (or lack of it) that your 2000 worth of units kill his 1500 worth in every engagement and then he starts to bleed (or you) and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Once the bleed starts its just a grind, you will whipe his squads left and right and then u need to kill the 3 objectives to win.

If you despise blobbing in COH2 this is no for you. Late game is blobs blobs blobs. There is no reason to send 2 squads left and 3 right. All it will result is in 2 (or 3) dead squads vs his total of 5. And then its game over, as the next time you attack he will have 7 and you 5.. rince and repeat, he has 9, u 5 or 3..

this guy states it good around 15 - 18 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyWTS6ouzg

I was hoping for more but right now the game is bland and so much starcrafty.

Ps. preserving troops are pointless. you can save around 160 req reinforcing from 1 guy vs buying a new full squad. But if you are floating 2000 req this does no matter, just spam the build button.
23 Apr 2017, 11:01 AM

Was hoping for more out of the game. Personally, I wonder why there is no cover, no retreat button and no veterancy? That would make it so much more engaging. Without those I feel like I m playing an unranked 4v4 SC2 game, building up a blob and a-clicking it around. I have SC2 for that already, so why play this... Elite units are fun I suppose, the Eldar 4 point assasin chick (whatever her name is) being my favorite, but they are another thing that affects balance negatively. The space marine 2 point elites (the squad that lands in pods) for instance, will just decide a big early-mid game skirmish by landing on opposing troops mid-battle and thats gg right there (since you cant retreat from there).

Even without elites, there seems to be little comeback mechanics. Essentionally if you lose a squad or two well thats it, you will be a squad or two down for the rest of the game and the chances of you winning are now drastically reduced. Many ordinary units and elites have interesting abilities, that seem to be cool and theoretically are effective, but so far my experience has been don't bother with individual squad microing and abilities, focus on getting a bigger blob of stuff and focus fire at will. The only thing you might wanna micro is the elites, and thats only for when abilities are off cd. This makes for pretty dull gameplay overall, especially in god damn mirror matches. I barely manage to stay awake in those.

So basically, interesting idea kinda mixing rts with moba, but needs so much more polishing and thought. For now I'll just stick with SC for the rts part, and HoTS for the moba :p

P.S. Nearly forgot, for me personally the way stealth works in the game is kinda stupid. Needs more ways to reveal or break stealth. For instance, 3-4 squads of eldar rangers can pretty much one-shot an enemy squad. They move in stealth and have a monstrous firing range. So focus down a squad from max range, soft paddle back a bit, get back in stealth - rince repeat. Btw 3-4 ranger squads isn't a late game army or smthn, you can get them fairly quickly, its an early-mid game comp. Dumb.
23 Apr 2017, 12:17 PM
Patrion 14

For me it is a massiv disappointment. Relic made the same mistake as the Call of Duty franchise, making a game that the community does not want.. What is it a MOBA or a rts
23 Apr 2017, 13:49 PM

It is nothing like MOBA. You control your units, you can't buy items for heroes (elites), you can't farm gold by killing minions or killing elites (heroes), there is no 3 lanes and it is no 5vs5. How is it a MOBA?

Game looks really fun, can't wait for the 1st balanace patch for this game and more modes like Victory Points or Total Annihilation without power core/shield generators because they are only slowing pace of the game and prolongs game time for no reason.
23 Apr 2017, 16:29 PM
Patrion 14

No I know its not a moba, but is it a RTS ?. We are a group of guys who have played rts for fun the last 7-10 years, and now one thinks that DAW3 is good... No one... I even think that coh2 looks better than DAW3, but that only my opinion...
23 Apr 2017, 22:51 PM

I'm with GG. The game is made of contradictory elements.

You can't retreat, but you can reinforce your squads, though they don't get experience. Unit preservation this way only works for massing units.

Most of the units have skills, some of them can turn the tide of the battle in one second (like the banshee charge that wipes squads on contact). Yet the game its one of scale. Tactics and micro work in the early 5 units each engagements.

Economy its not dynamic. There are few points to capture and its hard to harass enemy points because you first need to destroy the listining posts and the upgrades (which can't be stolen like in dow2).

24 Apr 2017, 00:24 AM

Huge 40k fan and I wanted to like DoW3 so much. Early looks had me pretty concerned but I wanted to try it for myself. After playing the beta, I like it even less than I thought I would.

I can't find enough redeeming factors to want to play it. Superficial things like animations really do make a difference to me personally and are a huge turn off with jumping terminators, etc. And then there's the other strictly gameplay reasons that others have laid out.

I'm even not inherently bothered by the divergence from DoW2 so much, as I still love and play DoW1, but this is just not doing it for me.

I'll keep my eyes on it and see how it develops over time, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything for now.
24 Apr 2017, 16:25 PM

So I've given it about 8hrs this weekend and it's a pretty decent game to be honest. They've obviously given more attention to multiplayer than they initially let on. That being said, the multiplayer is basically limited to quickmatch (no leagues, infrastructure for events). I didn't notice a live match spectating section either, but maybe I just missed it.

The early game feels a lot more consequential than other RTSs, if you lose too much territory early on it feels like it's much harder to bounce back. As you upgrade resource points however, the income rate grows significantly and by mid-late-game you can churn out units almost continuously. It makes for an interesting dynamic where single units are extremely important early on but very disposable late game. There's also a lot of room for micro with devastating ability combinations.

The impact of terrain (cover, vision, blocking) has been dumbed down compared to CoH. But given the amount of micro required by units and their abilities it doesn't feel like something's missing. The current mechanics stand on their own.

The fear-mongering over the supposed MOBA elements are over-blown. Their function is similar to base bunkers in CoH in that they prevent base rushes until late-tier units arrive. That's pretty much all they do. There's almost no impact on map control otherwise.

There's depth here, but in a more traditional sense where tactics are somewhat less impactful than in CoH but micro, macro and buildings take a bigger share of the pie.
24 Apr 2017, 20:20 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Forums be like

"Is not COH2, 0/10"
24 Apr 2017, 22:24 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2017, 20:20 PMwouren
Forums be like

"Is not COH2, 0/10"

I mean this is the CoH2 forum so....
25 Apr 2017, 16:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2017, 20:20 PMwouren
Forums be like

"Is not COH2, 0/10"

No doubt eh?

I got three matches in during the open beta.

Cons
  • You have to build base buildings. Maybe it is just me but I really liked DoWII as you didn't have to build base buildings.
  • Engine is starting to show its age.

Pros
  • Fast pace games.
  • Units have a depth of abilities.
  • You have tools to deal with blobs.
  • The music is fantastic.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 32
Peru 17
United Kingdom 42
unknown 7