Login

russian armor

Backteching

29 Jul 2013, 18:53 PM

I recall Peter from Relic talking about how Ostheer has been built around being able to backtech easily. It seems to me that many Ostheer players are afraid of backteching, since it wasn't very prevalent in vCoH.

It makes Ostheer much more flexible than Soviets. Soviets have to make a choice between T3 or T4, and they have to stick with their decision for a while. If Soviets go T4, the Ostheer counter is T2, while if Soviets go T3, the Ostheer counter is T3 or T4. So the safest bet as Ostheer is to go straight to T3, then backtech to T2 if Soviets go for T4, which is most likely to get the Su85. The Su85 is completely useless against Ostheer T2 and Pgrens.
29 Jul 2013, 22:39 PM

However Katusha's and Su-76's are strong vs T2 which means the soviet player can quite easily deal with a backtech. However there is definitely a chance to backtech as ost as the buildings are very cheap and also quick to build. The only real reason I could see though is to go back and get Pgrens with Shreks?? MAYBE a pak but i still don't think they warrant the cost at all....
31 Jul 2013, 03:14 AM

http://www.coh2.org/replays/6043/t1-t3-t2-backteching

Here's an example.

With P4's on the field, there's no way the Soviet player can afford build a Kat or an Su76. The idea behind this strat is to take advantage of the fact that the only reliable counter to a quick P4 is the Su85. Force his hand into building one, and have the counter ready once it comes out. Ofcourse, I'm no expert, and I lucked out when the other player went T3 first, but I'm curious on more expert's take on this.
31 Jul 2013, 06:05 AM

You can severely hurt or kill a P4 tank with 2 SU76's + Guard or ATG. There are to many underused units at the moment, don't be afraid to branch out. SU-76 are a soft vehicle counter that can quickly adapt to tackle on infantry/support. It's main gun is a bit inaccurate so dont expect kills, but it makes units jump a fair bit.

Shock Troops can also nullify a heavy T2 from Ostheer, just be careful of FHT.
T1 use Snipers or T2 use Maxims if you have gone a Guard doctrine to handle them PG's. You can do it either way.

However you are certainly right. Once you make that teching decision for Soviets I do feel locked in for a longer period of time in comparison to Ostheer.
31 Jul 2013, 07:24 AM

They should really fix the su85 sniping its own counter though. (pgrens and even paks)
Last night I had a vet 2 pgren squad attack an unsupported su85 and it sniped 2 guys with the first shot. Infuriating. Its about it's scatter and angle values being too good, Ace posted about this in another thread.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★