Login

russian armor

2v2 Looking for help

6 Mar 2017, 12:26 PM

Me and a friend playing together, we do okay some games. But when we face somewhat aggressive opponents we tend to lose real quick. I'm Janne Guillou and my friend is Smörgåsbord.

I know some stuff is super retarded, like forgetting a paratrooper and letting it die or letting a howitzer idle in the middle of the map. However losing straight up confrontations I have no clue where I'm really messing up. It also seems we have a huge fuel deficit this game? Before we had a proper tank one of them had already popped out two. Despite us holding our fuel down for most of the game. When it comes to units and docs none of us have a clue what's meta or not either to be honest.

Any tips appreciated!
8 Mar 2017, 15:30 PM

Hi Utbildningsministern,

I can take a look at this and give you some tips on how to trade better. What is your name in game?
8 Mar 2017, 16:48 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

I'm Janne Guillou and my friend is Smörgåsbord.

Hi Utbildningsministern,

I can take a look at this and give you some tips on how to trade better. What is your name in game?

Done :)
10 Mar 2017, 19:38 PM

Hi Utbildningsministern, I haven't forgotten about you, I was away for 24 hours. I will review this today and leave some tips.
10 Mar 2017, 20:22 PM

Alright I gave it a watch and here is what I saw:

You blobbed early with a couple of units (a miniblob if you will). This is not a problem as far as wipes go, since you were only facing grens, but it meant your capping power was limited. Spread out after winning and cap points. Taking territory early will help set the pace.

You stared at your base for long periods, and told your men to cap the point at the point. Use your micro to have units set up in cover or build cover early so that they don't need to return to base early.

You kept the mortar out of combat for too long, and then let it go too close a couple of times. Be more aware of its place, use attack move to keep it following your front line.

When you forced off your opponent it may be a good time to retreat. He is going back to base so he won't cap, and you can heal up and meet him again with full health rifles.

You pick airbrone, which I completely disagreed with since you have Priests, but then you didn't really use the doc. In fact you ignored it so much that when you saw a Gren blob you did not call in an MG, and when you wanted more rifles (you already had 3 but you wanted more?) you actually built rifles, even though you could have called in airborne, you were floating MP, and immediately upgraded them to 1919's, you were floating munitions.

You were caught badly off guard by the 222, even though you had a captain. Get the zook right away against Wehr, since you want some light AT to keep the 222 at bay. You don't need to kill it, but force it back so it can't eat up your rifles.

The stuart was badly overexstended and died. You were shooting at infantry so there is no reason to flank them. Kite them at distance and pick them apart. Also, this won't matter as much in the coming patch, but when you see light vehicles stun them! You could have easily killed the luchs on the first meeting and you would not have had to follow the 222, which against a good player would have been immediately punished.

To answer your question about fuel, they held a huge majority of the map for most of the game. It also didn't help that you lost a stuart (70 fuel), teched nades (20 fuel), and had to go Mjr (120 fuel), before you could get another tank. You also built a sherman even though you were clearly losing the tank battle, you needed a Jackson for sure.

Don't call in the airstrike unless you can kill a tank. You are likely to only get 1 volley with it anyway.

Be careful, you really should not be losing squads so frequently. It will happen but losing them as often as you did burned through your MP, prevented you from capping, and constantly had you fighting with low vet squads vs. veterancy.

Issues here are things you just need to improve with careful play. Nothing you did was devastatingly wrong. You didn't give up the game in one big mistake, it was death by a thousand cuts instead. Try to control the game pace more, your opponent set the tone the entire time, and use speed to your advantage. On maps like Minsk, get some arty, either Calliope or Priest. If you don't have it yet, save up and get Calliope anyway, it is easily the best US commander right now. Get rid of airborne.

Don't be afraid to tech to Cpt then Lt, and maybe never Mjr. The Mjr is there if you need him, you don't have to get a Sherman in every game. The US is flexible enough to have commanders fill in for the Mjr.
10 Mar 2017, 20:55 PM

Okay, thanks for all the critique. Did you note anything for my soviet friend?

Any tips on how to best win engagements with my rifle, if I'm better out spreading them to cap quicker? What range are they best utilized at etc? Also if not specifically to this game, how I handle Sturmpio rushing rifles or infantry sections?
11 Mar 2017, 12:23 PM

Okay, thanks for all the critique. Did you note anything for my soviet friend?

Any tips on how to best win engagements with my rifle, if I'm better out spreading them to cap quicker? What range are they best utilized at etc? Also if not specifically to this game, how I handle Sturmpio rushing rifles or infantry sections?

I didn't watch the soviet player, but I can take a quick look at some point today.

Rifles are good at short and mid ranges, when they get Bars they become good on the move or standing still. If you give them 1919's they get really good at long range but have to be stationary. You can keep your rifles together to fight, but once you win immediately spread out and cap everything. Try to get your opponent to fight you where you want so that you can easily get the most rifles to the location as possible and preferably while still capping points.

Sturms are frightening because their close DPS is potent. However, at every range which is not handshaking their DPS is very manageable. Delay and fall back when you see them, until you can get 1 or 2 units together. Focus fire on them and quickly bring down 1 or 2 models, at this point they probably have to retreat. If they do get in close do not fight them. Retreat. Early game getting damage is as good as getting kills since no one will have medics yet. Letting a squad get chewed up but saving it is less useful then when you can let them take some damage and retreat to heal. Retreating right away keeps the Sturms from melting your face although you will tend to lose territory. I find that OKW early game right now can be quite potent at times as a result.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 35
Peru 16
United Kingdom 43
unknown 4
United States 1
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W