Login

russian armor

Weekend Challenge: Stugs

3 Aug 2013, 12:41 PM

All in All the StuG was one of the most successful tank-killers of the entire war.

To be fair if you've got in a good defensive position and the Soviets are just sending endless waves of T34s towards you, of course you'll get a lot of tank kills. It's like claiming that because Rudel was the highest scoring pilot, the JU87 was therefore a viable plane.
/off-topic rambling
3 Aug 2013, 21:06 PM

Stug was initially for infantry support. Later uparmored versions with long guns did ok against tanks, but like was mentioned from covered positions.
You want to see real counterpart to Su85 you look at Jagdpanzer4.
3 Aug 2013, 21:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2013, 21:06 PMshifty
Stug was initially for infantry support. Later uparmored versions with long guns did ok against tanks, but like was mentioned from covered positions.

Ugh at the cost getting dragged into a pointless debate.. no. Go look at the armor thickness and the penetration power of the two tanks. They were almost equal. The jagdpzr4 (well most of them) had the same cannon as the panther, so its gun had much more penetrating power than the 85mm on the su85.

If you don't want to believe me, just go look at the real world specifications of these two tanks... but it doesn't matter anyway cause this is a video game. Relic has thrown out realism for balance/game mechanics so many times it really is just a waste of time to argue about this.
4 Aug 2013, 09:46 AM

To be fair if you've got in a good defensive position and the Soviets are just sending endless waves of T34s towards you, of course you'll get a lot of tank kills. It's like claiming that because Rudel was the highest scoring pilot, the JU87 was therefore a viable plane.
/off-topic rambling

Sure. No doubt the StuG was alot more viable in defensive fightin than in offensive buuut

the StuG was the highest scoring tank killer till 1943, before Germany was in fighting retreat and in " a defensive position with the Soviets just sending endless waves of T34s,"

Like I said, this is a game, game balance doesnt necesarry have to refelct reality and I would be tottally fine with the SU beeing a more powerful tankdestroyer

IF

the StuG could actually also take the role of an assault gun or atleast be cheap enough to mass produce.
5 Aug 2013, 16:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2013, 04:59 AMTri86
...This unit really needs some love here, along with the brummbar.

I take back what I said about the brummbar. It's actually not too bad. It's a nice multi-purpose unit that has even more utility than a pz4 but it needs support. But anyway this is off topic just wanted to correct myself
6 Aug 2013, 20:48 PM

#YOLO #STUGLIFE
6 Aug 2013, 20:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2013, 12:12 PMCon!
oddly enough the stug has an upkeep of 10 (not including the 1.5 modifier) whereas the p4 and ostwind only have 8. Must be something they never changed from before the big vehicle patch.

they didn't change it because nobody uses stugs anymore Kappa
6 Aug 2013, 20:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Aug 2013, 21:06 PMshifty

What i think they should do, is to put the panzerwerfer back in t3 and in t4 they should put a t4 TD like a stug IV or a jagdIV

Ohh,and most stugs had a lot of t-34 kills long before it recieved the long 75mm upgraded gun
6 Aug 2013, 22:13 PM

"Did okey against tanks", are you joking?

StuG III was the most successful tank destroyer in the entire war.
StuG "kill-counts" were only second to the Tiger aces.

Till 1943 (and maybe beyond that) no other armored fighting vehicle in the entire war achieved a "kill-death" ratio as high as the StuG.

The StuG was more than just "okey" versus tanks. /rant

But yeah, both StuG and t34 require an overhaul. I think making those machines useable will solve the PIV vs SU spam fest we have right now.

6 Aug 2013, 22:57 PM
Donator 11

I have not use it that often but was I the only one to find it effective vs. Su-85s ?
7 Aug 2013, 02:18 AM

Geez, that size change has really made the Stug a competitor to the SU8...

Zero and I played a game where my SU85 and his Stug went head on and the SU85 lost..It was slightly damaged from a PZiV already though.

The Stug/PzIV Flank is totally on.
7 Aug 2013, 05:58 AM

Stug advantages compared to PIV:

Higher penetration
Higher rate of fire
Longer range
Smaller hitbox i.e. harder to hit
Mildly cheaper in cost

Stug disadvantages compared to PIV:

Lack of mobility--fixed turret
Fewer hitpoints, thus easier to kill

Equivalent stats:

Damage
Frontal armor value

• Overall it's a very competent tank. You just have to use it carefully. If you can faust an SU85 and get a decent flank on it, the Stug can technically dispatch it quicker than the PIV can.
7 Aug 2013, 06:44 AM

i actually circlestrafed a su-85 with a stug!

i wish i had a replay, it was hilarious
8 Aug 2013, 22:15 PM

So where exactly are these replays being posted?
9 Aug 2013, 16:36 PM

i actually circlestrafed a su-85 with a stug!

i wish i had a replay, it was hilarious

The SU was engine damaged I hope.
22 Feb 2014, 14:59 PM

Permanently Banned
we need more weekend challanges
22 Feb 2014, 15:01 PM

Permanently Banned
and it could be showed like in drinking challanges,

you know the rules... MVGAME
22 Feb 2014, 15:11 PM

Thank you for reviving a Nullist thread!

22 Feb 2014, 15:15 PM

Permanently Banned
Thank you for reviving a Nullist thread!

you are welcome
22 Feb 2014, 17:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

We need more Dushkas, penals, M5, SU76, Rapid conscription, Vehicle detection, Irregulars, Partisans, 250, 222s, Brumbears, Relief infantry, Cammo, Riegels, etc...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★