Login

russian armor

Filter

26 Nov 2016, 14:22 PM

Hi is there a way to filter the game so you don't play against people in Asia, I don't mind playing against them but the lag is really bad for me to match up with all of these people in China and Korea. I'm like on the other side of the planet and the lag is just notorious, unplayable in fact.

Why is it even auto-matching like that? They should have created separate servers for the player base in their respective continents NA,EU,Asia....
26 Nov 2016, 16:30 PM

I wish it was possible.
26 Nov 2016, 19:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

There is only 1 server and it's on NY.
26 Nov 2016, 19:30 PM

I'm experiencing alot of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQh4f0bOS4 so maybe it isn't connection? I don't know how to resolve it. Running a 980 GTX with Decent Cable internet actually great internet Overwatch and SC2 have no issues.
27 Nov 2016, 02:55 AM

There is only 1 server and it's on NY.

WTF did I just read? Did you ever bother to read that blog post from Relic a long time ago when they introduced battle servers? The game uses Steamworks to set up a virtual "host computer" (instead of having a player host the game as was done upon release) over which all traffic of all playing party members runs. These battle servers (named thus by Relic) are basically nothing but computing power in Valve's server network that is drawn upon once a match is initiated. The actual server location is selected depending on the best possible solution for all players involved, which means that players from regions with a small player base end up with higher ping (because the longer the search goes, the higher the specified (fixed) "distance" of players permitted into your search pool gets).

This was basically the biggest technical update ever done to this game, and also the most important of all patches since release. Incidentally this also means that the multiplayer will continue to work even if Relic (or Sega) goes belly-up, as long as Valve continues to run their server network and CDN. Additionally, COH1 was also brought up to a similar system with the relocation from Sega's servers to Steamwork.
27 Nov 2016, 03:00 AM

I'm experiencing alot of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQh4f0bOS4 so maybe it isn't connection? I don't know how to resolve it. Running a 980 GTX with Decent Cable internet actually great internet Overwatch and SC2 have no issues.

That looks very much like resource problems with the battle server. Either the virtual host didn't get enough resources and it took a while for the system to reallocate enough calculation power, or the virtual host was switched to a different physical machine entirely. Optimally this should happen fast enough for you to not notice it (aside from it being another source for the above mentioned "black hole bug"), but if the host was switched to a machine at a drastically different physical location in the network, the data transfer may not happen fast enough.

This was much, much worse during the times of player hosts though, to the point that the game was unplayable if the host player had a bad internet connection and/or a weak PC.
27 Nov 2016, 03:03 AM
Donator 11

WTF did I just read? Did you ever bother to read that blog post from Relic a long time ago when they introduced battle servers? The game uses Steamworks to set up a virtual "host computer" (instead of having a player host the game as was done upon release) over which all traffic of all playing party members runs. These battle servers (named thus by Relic) are basically nothing but computing power in Valve's server network that is drawn upon once a match is initiated. The actual server location is selected depending on the best possible solution for all players involved, which means that players from regions with a small player base end up with higher ping (because the longer the search goes, the higher the specified (fixed) "distance" of players permitted into your search pool gets).

This was basically the biggest technical update ever done to this game, and also the most important of all patches since release. Incidentally this also means that the multiplayer will continue to work even if Relic (or Sega) goes belly-up, as long as Valve continues to run their server network and CDN. Additionally, COH1 was also brought up to a similar system with the relocation from Sega's servers to Steamwork.

If it really works how you say it works then the best solution is to set yourself a max search time and research every time it gets hit. One can write yourself a script that does it for quite easily if it becomes to much of a chore. This solution also makes sure you get more ballanced matches, but makes searching quite a long process.

As for the last paragraph, I don't thing the system would work without relic main server, as this is where ladder seems to be located. Also, the game connects you to that server every time it starts. If it fails to connect it shows the "you have no connection to server" popup and disables multiplayer until restarted.
27 Nov 2016, 05:04 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Source?
Since the implementation of the battle servers, all communications are relayed through the server hosted on AWS in New Jersey (unless something changed). The whole point of it is removing the issues which happened during the release of the game (a single player could mess up the connection of all the people involved in a match) and replacing the whole P2P from CoH1.
Not sure where is it, but there was a post on old Relics forums giving you the IP so you could trace/ping (they disable it later) it in case you were having issues with it.

What OP is suffering is a sum of:
-Performance issues (if it's exactly to what Romeo vid display)
-ISP issues
-Distance to server
-The "input delay" from the game itself

27 Nov 2016, 08:41 AM

WTF did I just read? Did you ever bother to read that blog post from Relic a long time ago when they introduced battle servers? *snip*

I've just gone through the blog and none of the posts seem to say anything about how the servers actually work. Any mention of Steamworks is in relation to when they had to move the earlier games over from the previous Relic servers. I'm guessing you got that mixed up, unless you can provide a source.

At any rate, you can see your ping to the server (whatever type it may be) in CELO, and I've only ever noticed it report a ping equal to from here to USA for me, even when playing against another Australian.

Since they got rid of P2P there's no way the other players should theoretically be able to cause lag for you anymore. Only your connection to the Battleserver should matter because the Battleserver runs a control simulation of the game at a (presumably) uninterrupted rate. That's why the game suddenly runs at a very fast speed until it catches up after an interruption.

However, the game's engine is so poorly made that it can be hard to tell what's a connection problem and what's a performance problem. Those pauses are very common.
27 Nov 2016, 11:51 AM

Just lost another game due to this lag freeze, it's very difficult to micro when you're dealing with Feeze, Speed up, Freeze, Lag, Speed up, Freeze... And of course I'm playing people from Russia and all other parts of the world. And I'm sure it's not my internet because if I go to any other game SC2, Overwatch, BF1 I don't experience any of these Spikes and this input delays are killing the game for me, forget playing axis because the micro is too intensive those spikes would just end the game.

Gotta blob and play poorly with brits or something only to acomodate the notorious lag spikes and still no clue if it's Graphical or Connection
27 Nov 2016, 12:16 PM
Donator 11

Just lost another game due to this lag freeze, it's very difficult to micro when you're dealing with Feeze, Speed up, Freeze, Lag, Speed up, Freeze... And of course I'm playing people from Russia and all other parts of the world. And I'm sure it's not my internet because if I go to any other game SC2, Overwatch, BF1 I don't experience any of these Spikes and this input delays are killing the game for me, forget playing axis because the micro is too intensive those spikes would just end the game.

Gotta blob and play poorly with brits or something only to acomodate the notorious lag spikes and still no clue if it's Graphical or Connection

All of us play with people from the other side of the world, yet only a few experience these issues. You are looking for a problem where it is not hiding.
27 Nov 2016, 12:33 PM

All of us play with people from the other side of the world, yet only a few experience these issues. You are looking for a problem where it is not hiding.

Are you blind did you not see the video that was posted? What is that? I guess according to your ignorant Ass I should probably seek counseling and talk to a shrink because I'm making up these problems as they are a figment of my imagination and thus I need psychological help.

Ignorant Prick
27 Nov 2016, 13:50 PM
Donator 11

Are you blind did you not see the video that was posted? What is that? I guess according to your ignorant Ass I should probably seek counseling and talk to a shrink because I'm making up these problems as they are a figment of my imagination and thus I need psychological help.

Ignorant Prick

I think you misunderstood me. I said the problem probably doesn't lie in a fact that you are playing against russians/australians/koreans or whoever else, just becouse we all play them and not all of us get this problem...

So, even if the filter existed, it wouldn't most probably have solved your problem, that's all.
28 Nov 2016, 02:04 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Ignorant Prick

Wow calm down.
Firstly, comparing Relic vs EA/Blizzard is like fighting a Kolibri vs a Deagle. CoH2 has 1 server on NY. Not sure for BF1 (they changed their server policies limiting the locations) but it used to have server providers on Argentina/Brazil/USA Florida-NY-WestCoast/UK/Germany/Japan/Australia/etc. SC2 probably has servers on NA/EU/SEA/Korea. Overwatch has plenty of servers on each of those zones (ex:"Hey folks, for the Americas region we have servers in Los Angeles, Chicago, Sydney, Singapore and São Paulo.")

Secondly you should list your full specs and where are you from. What is your res/graph/fps performance in game.

A full list you could go through:

1-ISP: It doesn't matter if you have a "great internet" provider, sometimes there are gonna be problems on the routing.
IT REALLY MATTERS where you live and which nodes you use till you arrive here 54.209.64.161 (ping is disabled for obvious reasons).
Also most of the time it doesn't matter how much speed you have (unless you are really peaking your download/upload) rather than the REAL quality of the ISP infrastructure.

2-Modem/router/Ethernet: packet loss due to hardware problems or physical interventions.

3-PC Performance: CoH2 is not the best optimized game. That's a reality. On the other hand, you might want to try playing on potato mode (not necessarily all low will achieve this, you might need to tweak) having a HUGE fps bank and restarting the game every some games and see if the problems persists.
Stick to 1v1 games if possible (4v4 tends to degrade the game really fast).
28 Nov 2016, 09:35 AM

Wow calm down.
Firstly, comparing Relic vs EA/Blizzard is like fighting a Kolibri vs a Deagle. CoH2 has 1 server on NY. Not sure for BF1 (they changed their server policies limiting the locations) but it used to have server providers on Argentina/Brazil/USA Florida-NY-WestCoast/UK/Germany/Japan/Australia/etc. SC2 probably has servers on NA/EU/SEA/Korea. Overwatch has plenty of servers on each of those zones (ex:"Hey folks, for the Americas region we have servers in Los Angeles, Chicago, Sydney, Singapore and São Paulo.")

Secondly you should list your full specs and where are you from. What is your res/graph/fps performance in game.

A full list you could go through:

1-ISP: It doesn't matter if you have a "great internet" provider, sometimes there are gonna be problems on the routing.
IT REALLY MATTERS where you live and which nodes you use till you arrive here 54.209.64.161 (ping is disabled for obvious reasons).
Also most of the time it doesn't matter how much speed you have (unless you are really peaking your download/upload) rather than the REAL quality of the ISP infrastructure.

2-Modem/router/Ethernet: packet loss due to hardware problems or physical interventions.

3-PC Performance: CoH2 is not the best optimized game. That's a reality. On the other hand, you might want to try playing on potato mode (not necessarily all low will achieve this, you might need to tweak) having a HUGE fps bank and restarting the game every some games and see if the problems persists.
Stick to 1v1 games if possible (4v4 tends to degrade the game really fast).

+1, well explained and i confirm.
RELIC has only ONE server to host coh 2 battles : it's a amazon gaming server hosted in america.
You won't have any problem by playing with asian dude since the only lag you can feel in game is YOUR lag to the server, which is usually not more than 250 ms (fine for coh2).

The freeze in the video you showed is 100% sure made by your computer and not the connection. When you loose connection to coh 2 server, it's completely different.

Here, it might be caused by anything, sound issue related to bundle grenade or even graphic issue, and you might want to verify COH 2 directory with steam cache / update graphic driver / change coh 2 settings.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United Kingdom 176
unknown 6
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak