Login

russian armor

Open links in a new window/tab

28 Nov 2012, 09:50 AM

Is it possibile to set the links that directs to other pages automaticly to open in a new window (target=_blank)? If not possible, how about a checkbox in the link button (Ctrl+L) "open link in a new window"?
28 Nov 2012, 09:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge

whats so difficult at holding down CTRL while clicking on a link? :P
28 Nov 2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks, didn´t know that.
28 Nov 2012, 11:00 AM
Honorary Member Badge

whats so difficult at holding down CTRL while clicking on a link? :P

i have a better question why not do it? the pros include for me anyways are that I don't have to log in every time I accidentally press a link without using control. the other thing is most other sites follow the opposite format and move links to a separate tab. meaning i now have to adjust to a new format for just one site. (at-least that ive been on.) on top of that quite a few people have already asked/complained/been confused about this saying its inconvenient or don't know how to open the link to a new page leading to someone having to explain to them how to do it. which tells me this thing isn't exactly common knowledge.

so instead of stonewalling/mocking/playing games with your forumites. why don't you man up and answer the question of why you don't want to do this?

heres a solution i came up with that caters to both sides of the isle.

provide a check box allowing users to choose if they want there links to open to over existing window a new tab or a new window.
28 Nov 2012, 11:44 AM

What are "most other sites" in this case? I hate it when new tabs keep popping up without me telling my browser to do so.

At OP: clicking your middle mouse button instead of the left mouse button also opens the link in a new tab.
28 Nov 2012, 18:38 PM

+1 to huite
Whenever I want a link to open in a new tab i use the middle mouse button anyways, no matter whether the site would open it in a new one automatically.
28 Nov 2012, 18:43 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2012, 11:00 AMWiFiDi

most other sites follow the opposite format and move links to a separate tab.

so instead of stonewalling/mocking/playing games with your forumites. why don't you man up and answer the question of why you don't want to do this?

I know as many sites who open in new tabs as i know sites who open in the same tab. But i don't know a way to force a page to load in the same tab, if the site has the predefined setting to open it in a new one, while i know CTRL+click or middle mouse buttons for pages who don't.

Just like Semint said, i don't want to be forced to have 10 open tabs, but rather have the choice myself.

heres a solution i came up with that caters to both sides of the isle.

provide a check box allowing users to choose if they want there links to open to over existing window a new tab or a new window.

If Seb decides to put this under the User profile settings, it would be fine with me.
29 Nov 2012, 08:31 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I know as many sites who open in new tabs as i know sites who open in the same tab. But i don't know a way to force a page to load in the same tab, if the site has the predefined setting to open it in a new one, while i know CTRL+click or middle mouse buttons for pages who don't.

Just like Semint said, i don't want to be forced to have 10 open tabs, but rather have the choice myself.

If Seb decides to put this under the User profile settings, it would be fine with me.

okay let me say this while not having this feature really annoys me alot. I can that in my entire time on the internet ive never ever seen anyone actually like the idea of stuff not moving to tabs. me ever since tabs came out ive been using like candy i used to have to have 500 windows open instead of 1. tbph ive only ever seen people complain about this feature not being used. if there won't be a settings option to do this. I can say that there should be somewhere on the website that tells you this because so many people have asked.
29 Nov 2012, 09:06 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Best solution imo is to have a checkbox in the UserCP:

Open all links in new tabs? Yes/No

Then everybody can have it the way they want it.

It would require a ton of coding, because I think we would have to update the code in every place where there's a link (not sure on this actually), but it could be a very nice feature to have. I, like you, would choose to open links in new tabs.

I know perfectly well how to control my browser, but the simple fact of the matter is that I almost always prefer to open a link in a new tab (particularly when it's offsite for coh2.org). And furthermore, middle-mouse button is often finnicky and will tend to not work and bring up some stupid scroll funtion, and holding the cntrl key takes two hands. For me, lazyness > control in this situation.
Seb
29 Nov 2012, 12:06 PM
Admin Black Badge

I will not make it open in a new by default, it's not even worth trying to argue, as others have said it is extremely easy to ask the browser to open in new, while the inverse is not, not to mention some browser might not have tabs or the ability to open new window at all. This is entirely on the user part, it shouldn't be forced in any way.

User profile option could indeed be appropriate for this.
29 Nov 2012, 14:41 PM

In FireFox : install TabMix Plus extension
Go to options/settings and set to force everything to open a new tab, or a new window, or whatever tweaking your prefer ...
30 Nov 2012, 00:54 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Nov 2012, 14:41 PMFreQ
Go to options/settings and set to force everything to open a new tab, or a new window, or whatever tweaking your prefer ...

Wow nice! A man that solves his own problems. Now that I can respect!
30 Nov 2012, 14:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Nov 2012, 14:41 PMFreQ

:wub:

i can't believe it never occurred to me that someone would make a addon like this. so i guess this fixes my problem. :blush:

30 Nov 2012, 20:18 PM

Here's a small piece of Javascript that makes all external links open in new tabs.

Code
$("body").on("click", "a", function() {
var url = $(this).attr("href"), external = /\w+:\/\//.test(url);

if (external) { window.open(url, "_blank"); }

return !external;
});
8 Dec 2012, 00:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge

yes i don't have to use control all the time or mess with my broken middle mouse button. seb :wub:
Seb
8 Dec 2012, 00:37 AM
Admin Black Badge

o did I put it live already? Well glad it works then. It's only for links input by people with text/bbcode, not menu etc. And it's all of them even internal site links, I find that extremely inconvenient but I guess that's why it's user option. :p
8 Dec 2012, 01:25 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2012, 00:37 AMSeb
o did I put it live already? Well glad it works then. It's only for links input by people with text/bbcode, not menu etc. And it's all of them even internal site links, I find that extremely inconvenient but I guess that's why it's user option. :p

and that is exactly what i wanted. well the internal site links going to tabs i'd do without but i didn't make it. tbh perfectly content though.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 55
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment