Login

russian armor

Completely New Member

16 Nov 2016, 10:19 AM

Hi guys

Having played PS4 for years, I am finally making the transition back to PC gaming.
I like strategy games and what I see from Company of Heroes is very exciting.

In your opinion, should I get CoH1 or CoH2? Also, how quickly would I be able to be competitive in multiplayer?

I intend to play campaign until I understand the game.

Also, do you think getting the package deals on steam is the way to go or would the base game suffice for now?

Thanks a lot for your help. Hoping to be a frequent visitor to the forums and the game.

Cheers
16 Nov 2016, 10:51 AM

silverfox18, i'm happy to be the first answering to you.
This game is like all the other, lot of whiners & salt do don't give too much credit to other replies.

COH 1 or COH 2 ? For the price you can get both, but honestly once you played coh2, you can't play coh1 anymore.

Play campaign before multiplayer ? i never played campaign and still got godo rank in "competitive" multiplayer.

You can practice against computer with friends (or alone) or even go for some random 4 vs 4, that's where everyone learn how to play.
(don't try 1 vs 1 until you got basic knowledge or you will get wrecked).

Base game or package ? go for package on key seller website, it's cheap as hell.

otherwise, feel free to add me on steam if you need a guy to "carry" you in some 2 vs 2 (no offense when i say "carry")
16 Nov 2016, 11:23 AM

Thank you very very much for your response Very insightful.

I have decided to purchase the COH2 bundle from steam and busy downloading. Will learn the basic mechanics and then try my hand at multiplayer.

Will add you on steam :).
16 Nov 2016, 12:39 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Hey silver, you are in the right place here!
We have a nice community and you can ask questions everywhere here ;)
Gl Hf :D
16 Nov 2016, 12:40 PM

Most people look back at CoH1 with their love goggles of bias. The game was good but missed some functionalities which CoH2 provides. As for faction design, the vanilla CoH factions, USA and Wehrmacht, were better designed than the current mix of CoH2 factions. Vanilla CoH2 factions feel somewhat lackluster when it comes to options and utilities compared to the newer factions that were introduced later, such as USF, UKF and OKW.

I prefer CoH1 for faction design, but prefer CoH2 for gameplay and functionalities. As for balance, well the fact that CoH1 from 2006 has better balance than CoH2 tells you all you need to know about that spectrum.

Good luck chosing!
16 Nov 2016, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Welcome to the CoH community! I hope you enjoy your stay, and if you're looking for tips, check out the Strategy Forum (State Office)!

I play CoH 1 when I have nostalgia. The CoH 1 American, British and Panzer Elite campaigns are excellent, the Tales of Valor ones, like CoH 2's Ardennes Assault, are decent, but the Soviet CoH 2 campaign... let's just say it's not very popular.

Sometimes, CoH goes on sale, as much as 75% off, and you can buy the entire franchise for maybe $40 USD, which is a killer deal. If you already bought everything, that's perfectly fine as well!

Multiplayer, especially with a friend to practice with, is the fastest way you can enter the multiplayer and competitive scene. Some units, unit statistics, and abilities are campaign-only, so mainly campaigns will be an introduction to game mechanics.

Feel free to add me on Steam! Good luck on the battlefield!
16 Nov 2016, 13:59 PM
16 Nov 2016, 17:47 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

If you are a stats and strategies guy, this is a cool game. Coh2 has lots of mechanics compared to other RTS games (not necessarily a good thing). Cover mechanics, advanced LOS mechanics, stray projectile mechanics, etc. are not things you would find in starcraft.

The UI is ok, a lot of the decisions they made on it I like, and a lot of decisions I don't like. Although the minimap isn't perfect, it's the most informative minimap I've ever seen in an RTS. The tactical map is a little uglier (I feel like it was made retrospectively).

The game was, is, and will always be beautiful. Whenever I show my friends screenshots of the game without the UI, they always ask, "When is this coming out?"

17 Nov 2016, 10:20 AM

Thanks guys for all the inputs. I have purchased the steam bundle with the COH2 addons.
Finished the download overnight and will play after work today.

Busy reading the beginner guides on the forum.
Will have a look at the strategy topics as well.

Thanks again, you guys have been an awesome help.

Will add you guys on steam.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment