Login

russian armor

Soviets: How do they work?

• This thread is locked
13 Nov 2016, 04:55 AM

I find the soviets are like no other faction I've played before. I don't know how they are supposed to work

The harder thing to come by are the conscripts. They are cheap but they can't hold their ground against anything even with veterancy. They feel like a support unit that moves between the gaps to ATnade tanks engines so that other units can finish them, molotovs take a lifetime to throw

I have to rely on call in infantry as the guards or the shocks

Support weapons for the most part do their job and have the numbers to stay in the fight for longer times or avoid wipes.

Zis3 on the other hand is a beast, same as the Sujkas as they can be used as AT guns or Arty.

The T70 is versatile, it can scout, can cap with vet1.

T34s are good but more efective in pairs. Su85 it's also a beast.

What's the mindset of this faction? Americans use their mobility and flexibility to disrupt german positioning. Ost is about positioning and specialization
16 Nov 2016, 12:03 PM

Overall soviets are very versatile, with more empathis on anti-infantry than anti-armor. Their moment of glory is therefore in the early and mid game, whereas they tend to be at a disadvantage against late game heavy armor.

Conscripts are more of a utility unit that a frontline fighter. They get loads of doctrinal benefits that can improve them in various roles, but even the "vanilla" version has a lot of potential. Like with all other soviet units, they come in teams of six, which significantly reduce the risk of getting wiped by lucky explosions. They can also build arguably the best green cover in the whole game, so make sure to use this to build protection for your support weapons and at strategic points.

Finally they have the cheap and effective "oorah" ability, granting them unsurpassed flanking potential especially against MGs.

So to sum up about conscripts. never leave home without them, but don't overly rely on them ;)
21 Nov 2016, 04:49 AM

and what about the teching paths?

Any recomendation on them? as a Ostheer player I feel more comfortable with the support weapons path than the special rifle command.

Maxims deploy and redeploy speed make easier manouver agressively with soviet infantry. I haven't used the M3 yet
21 Nov 2016, 04:53 AM
Patrion 14

in an extremely general way, the answer is Combined Arms.

There was a time when t1 and t2 each cost 50 fu. There was a time when t3 and t4 each cost 120 fuel. you were supposed to pick t1 or t2 and t3 or t4. Now, t1 and t2 are 10/20 fu each, possible to build both of them and t4 requires t3.

yes, cons do not hold their own but its ok because SoV is supposed to be extremely combined arms design wise. and as you said, all the other units are well capable.
21 Nov 2016, 04:58 AM

Oh, so it's not that punishing to go both T1 and T2. I still can't read the costs and resource numbers in any meaningfull way.

21 Nov 2016, 05:04 AM

About openings:

What I'm currently doing its a 3 cons start for map control and as a reserve for merging. Starting engineers capture a single strategic point then return to the base to build either T1 or T2.

I'm trying to integrate the Lend & Lease tactics to my game, to support the 2 penals after the 3 cons with some Dshks.

When do you choose the T70? I think I'm using a build so heavy on infantry that slows my teching to light vehicles.
21 Nov 2016, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

About openings:

What I'm currently doing its a 3 cons start for map control and as a reserve for merging. Starting engineers capture a single strategic point then return to the base to build either T1 or T2.

I'm trying to integrate the Lend & Lease tactics to my game, to support the 2 penals after the 3 cons with some Dshks.

When do you choose the T70? I think I'm using a build so heavy on infantry that slows my teching to light vehicles.

A current build involving Tier 1 is this: Cons-T1-Penals-Penals-Cons. If you have enough momentum and map control, get Medics and go into Tier 3 and roll out a T-70: it is easily the most powerful anti-infantry light tank, simply because it can kill models very consistently.

The T-70 can also hold its own against Axis light vehicles, besting the Luchs and a lone 222 (but keep it supported against 222 mobs, and just run from Pumas).

If you'd like to integrate Lend Lease into this build, bring in 1 to 2 Dshk-38s during the time between your 2nd Conscript squad/Medics and your T-70. AT Grenades for your conscripts should be teched after your T-70, unless you are fuel-starved and can't get either Tier 3 or a T-70 by 7 minutes.
27 Nov 2016, 09:14 AM
Patrion 14

Oh, so it's not that punishing to go both T1 and T2. I still can't read the costs and resource numbers in any meaningfull way.

they are only 160mp and 10/20 fu each. the real cost is the time to build it. so good timing (when CE will fall back and build) would be required. but i only play sov in 3v3 so i cant give you more specific and skill related advice :).

but from logical standpoint, if the Winter Balance Preview goes through as is, it seems as though you will never go t2 -> t1 because penals would lose flamer and with sniper nerf.
26 Jan 2017, 20:01 PM

I know this is necro, but some things I think are core to Soviet identity haven't been mentioned

They will run out eventually! Penals and the half track are the only units you have with munitions upgrades. This means you are free to lose them, comrade! Losing squads is never fun, but it's less bad for you than for anyone else.

They will never take the Rodina! Soviets don't win by having their units survive, so much as making sure the enemy's don't. Abundant mines and harassing artillery are staples. You can't neglect core fighting troops like T-34's, conscripts, etc., but they function best when they outnumber the enemy.

One thing that's important is to always be dropping mines. If the enemy isn't exerting any pressure, you should mine a place up, then move somewhere else.

Soviets rely heavily on the "macro" aspect of the game. Outnumber them, comrade! And if you don't, use mines and artillery until you do!
26 Jan 2017, 20:10 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2017, 20:01 PMCalm
I know this is necro, but some things I think are core to Soviet identity haven't been mentioned

They will run out eventually! Penals and the half track are the only units you have with munitions upgrades. This means you are free to lose them, comrade! Losing squads is never fun, but it's less bad for you than for anyone else.

They will never take the Rodina! Soviets don't win by having their units survive, so much as making sure the enemy's don't. Abundant mines and harassing artillery are staples. You can't neglect core fighting troops like T-34's, conscripts, etc., but they function best when they outnumber the enemy.

One thing that's important is to always be dropping mines. If the enemy isn't exerting any pressure, you should mine a place up, then move somewhere else.

Soviets rely heavily on the "macro" aspect of the game. Outnumber them, comrade! And if you don't, use mines and artillery until you do!

The mine part is on point but mind one thing: no matter which is the faction you play loosing a single squad may, and often will loose you whole match. It's never acceptable. The only type of unit is acceptable to loose is scout car - for soviets, ostheer and kubel for okw. That is why some good players choose not to build them becouse they are not sure they are able to get enough of this kind of investment to make it pay for itself.
26 Jan 2017, 20:51 PM

I don't mind if you necro this post because knowing the soviet metagame its something both helpful and relevant (still).

Loosing units, vetted units can sometimes be crushing as the early units, specialy the infantry, need it to stay relevant in the late game, otherwise they would find themselves compleatly outclased by T4 units and enemy hardened infantry. That means, more bleeding
27 Jan 2017, 14:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2017, 20:01 PMCalm
stuff

I don't mind if you necro this post because knowing the soviet metagame its something both helpful and relevant (still).

Maybe yo don´t but Strategists do.

Please for the next time create new thread even with same name as "necro-thread", by this way nothing from past will return eg biasing about how was 2x tiger OP back in time because most players never read that thread and will read it from first post, realising too late its necro. This is main reason why I don´t like necros, players get confused a lot by not actually realisign its necro and will act like if it was new thread.

I can live with this one necroed thread, just please do not necro in the future, rather create new threads, It´s always better and less confusing for forum browsers

:welcome: to coh2.org

Hec
2 Feb 2017, 15:13 PM

I find the soviets are like no other faction I've played before. I don't know how they are supposed to work

The harder thing to come by are the conscripts. They are cheap but they can't hold their ground against anything even with veterancy. They feel like a support unit that moves between the gaps to ATnade tanks engines so that other units can finish them, molotovs take a lifetime to throw

I have to rely on call in infantry as the guards or the shocks

Support weapons for the most part do their job and have the numbers to stay in the fight for longer times or avoid wipes.

Zis3 on the other hand is a beast, same as the Sujkas as they can be used as AT guns or Arty.

The T70 is versatile, it can scout, can cap with vet1.

T34s are good but more efective in pairs. Su85 it's also a beast.

What's the mindset of this faction? Americans use their mobility and flexibility to disrupt german positioning. Ost is about positioning and specialization

Add me Steam and I will TELL you ;-)

Soldier12204 <- is my Steam-Name
17 Feb 2017, 10:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2016, 04:53 AMpigsoup
in an extremely general way, the answer is Combined Arms.

There was a time when t1 and t2 each cost 50 fu. There was a time when t3 and t4 each cost 120 fuel. you were supposed to pick t1 or t2 and t3 or t4. Now, t1 and t2 are 10/20 fu each, possible to build both of them and t4 requires t3.

yes, cons do not hold their own but its ok because SoV is supposed to be extremely combined arms design wise. and as you said, all the other units are well capable.

This is very true. However it is also my largest complaint regarding balance. SU requires more APM and micro to be as successful as other allied factions with the notable exception of piat infantry sections. (at least until the next patch)

The maxim, while quick to set up, must be watched at all times to prevent flanking due to its small firing arc. Cons are jack of all master of none. Zis guns cant retreat and cant cloak unless you pick certain doctrines. By necessity, T34s must be used large groups to be sucessful. SU has no sector wide offmaps and its rocket artillery is cumbersome, awkward, and slow to deliver its full payload.

This is why I play SU however. It is always a challenge.
17 Feb 2017, 12:00 PM

I haven't really adjusted fully to the new meta (i've seen a lot of penals) But I've still been going the con/maxim route. Vet 3 cons with ppsh upgrades are no joke,they take the role of shocks late/mid game. Not bad at all. And in my opinion anti tank grenades are too good to pass up. Early game attack move maxim is no joke either, use this in conjunction with cons. IMO very aggressive early game soviets is best.

I could be wrong at this but i feel soviets are best at siege and numerical superiority 1 mg isn't going to keep 2 con squads down and if you have micro and use everything soviets should be able to take anything, you can keep constant pressure or just completely dick your opponent from every angle in a single fierce motion. you may lose ten but if they lose 12 and you get area control you still win.. My 2 cents on the soviets anyway
19 Apr 2017, 16:59 PM

Soviets can be anything you want them to be. Some guys blob the everloving crap out of Cons. Some guys spend MP Penals for a frontline inf. Some guys just spam support weapons. There's a bunch of different ways to do it. But they don't always work 100% of the time.

It can be a lot to juggle, but having a diverse army will have the highest chances of winning. Penals mixed in with cons, MG's supporting, Mortars firing, armor exploiting weaknesses, and artillery softening up the hard spots.
11 May 2019, 08:05 AM

As Soviets you're always on the offensive this is the faction where you should base rape the enemy if you had the opportunity so that they don't have time to build their army. If you're into those things then you will really like the Red Army.
22 May 2019, 14:20 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The necro is real.

/locked.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 30
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W