Login

russian armor

Vanguard Operations Commander

9 Nov 2016, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired this commander, and I would ask for advice on how to best play this commander.

More specifically,
-What build orders work great with this commander?
-How, and when should I make use of the commander's abilities?

Thanks in advance!
9 Nov 2016, 15:13 PM

Hello!

1, It doesn't matter, but be mindful if you want to call in a glider. It's expensive but offers a lot of things (I'll get into it below)

Raid Operations - Use it every time you are capping on multiple fronts so you can quickly shift the frontline to your favor. For 50 muni it's a good ability, as it lets your vehicles to capture.

Forward Logistics Glider - Be mindful if you want to call in one of these beauties. It costs a lot of MP, but offers a lot of things for exchange. Firstly you don't have to build a Forward Assembly with your Sappers for 250 MP as it can be toggled on to act as one (tho it won't have weapon racks at it and can't throw smoke for the 25pdr guns. It also gives you a great close range squad called "Air Landing Officer" which can't be built from the glider once killed so babysit him as he's really valuable. He has "Officer Charge" aka "Kick their asses, we can't get hurt", it grants tons of huge bonuses (-75% received accuracy for example), costs 15 muni, but he's only 4 man squad.
Secondly, you can purchase additional Commando squads for 350 MP (5 man squads) and Medics for 180 MP (good for base-healing if you can afford it).

Crew repairs - If most of your vehicles are badly hurt and you need them back at hull HP ASAP (or you don't have enough sappers and you are impatient at the same time) [most likely after a Cromwell invasion, when you rushed your enemy with them and they got back to base / safe zone] But be aware that it costs 100 muni, so use it cautiously.

Strafing support - Use it when you have extra muni, because it costs 200 muni. Mostly when all-in assaulting, or simply assaulting a point with a bit greater force. You can also use it to help your boys defend a key location (for example a VP in close games). It lasts 90 seconds, but can't cover the whole map, so the best is when you activate it after your troops bumped into enemy resistance.

Vanguard Operation "Crocodile" - No need for explaining, get it when you can as it's a must-have unit on the field.

Hope I got everything
9 Nov 2016, 22:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

As Brits I find myself floating MP after my AEC comes out, and I don't really want to build Mortar Pits, so I would say the Forward Logistics Glider is a good addition to my build.

Don't really like Forward Retreat Points, however.

Thanks for the advice!
10 Nov 2016, 12:22 PM

To get more build order specific I really like this build with vanguard commader.

Early game i get second IS and 2 vickers hmg because vickers have better better DPS than IS in early game actually and can fight of most axis squads much better including even hmg42 because of its higher dmg than hmg42 and against sniper as well because of its higher range.

Then I tend to tech and get 1 engineer to place mines and secure flank, then at gun to counter fast 222/luchs.
You can get third IS as well but I don´t recommend it because they are only good with lmgs. You need all early munition for mines and double piats to upgrade engi.

At 3Cp call in defensive glider so it land near you base (survive) but also can shorten your retreat route. even 5 seconds is good - generaly under your HQ mgs range.

You can now push more with at gun and piats in back to counter lights, while mgs supress infantry, IS hold ground against flank and oficier with heroic charge can push away static infantry or hmgs.

You can get 1 commados for demos and stealth operations/flanks/securing mgs from enemy flanking infantry.

Then I rush centaur/cromwell depending on your situation - if you hold 50% of ground go centaur otherwise cromwell because enemy tank will come soon. You don´t go AC and thust you can get centaur much sooner.
Either of these tanks can counter lights (except puma whitch is rather situational anyway and is countered by at gun).

With lead you can start pushing (get second engi with sweeper so you wont hit teller and start getting lmg for IS if you have sulrplus resources). Just don´t get cocky and don´t lose tank.

Later on I recommend you getting another cromwell or teching for comette or stalling for croco depending on situation.

In lategame you should have 2 at guns(or at gun and firefly), 1 medium tank 2 hmgs if you don´t lost them, 1-2 commado squads (officier count as well), 2 engineer and crocodile. Use planes to finish enemy in key engangement and win the game.

Hope I helped
10 Nov 2016, 12:23 PM

Lol doublepost. sorry
10 Nov 2016, 13:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

To get more build order specific I really like this build with vanguard commader.

Early game i get second IS and 2 vickers hmg because vickers have better better DPS than IS in early game actually and can fight of most axis squads much better including even hmg42 because of its higher dmg than hmg42 and against sniper as well because of its higher range.

Then I tend to tech and get 1 engineer to place mines and secure flank, then at gun to counter fast 222/luchs.
You can get third IS as well but I don´t recommend it because they are only good with lmgs. You need all early munition for mines and double piats to upgrade engi.

At 3Cp call in defensive glider so it land near you base (survive) but also can shorten your retreat route. even 5 seconds is good - generaly under your HQ mgs range.

You can now push more with at gun and piats in back to counter lights, while mgs supress infantry, IS hold ground against flank and oficier with heroic charge can push away static infantry or hmgs.

You can get 1 commados for demos and stealth operations/flanks/securing mgs from enemy flanking infantry.

Then I rush centaur/cromwell depending on your situation - if you hold 50% of ground go centaur otherwise cromwell because enemy tank will come soon. You don´t go AC and thust you can get centaur much sooner.
Either of these tanks can counter lights (except puma whitch is rather situational anyway and is countered by at gun).

With lead you can start pushing (get second engi with sweeper so you wont hit teller and start getting lmg for IS if you have sulrplus resources). Just don´t get cocky and don´t lose tank.

Later on I recommend you getting another cromwell or teching for comette or stalling for croco depending on situation.

In lategame you should have 2 at guns(or at gun and firefly), 1 medium tank 2 hmgs if you don´t lost them, 1-2 commado squads (officier count as well), 2 engineer and crocodile. Use planes to finish enemy in key engangement and win the game.

Hope I helped

Thanks Hector!

Would you suggest use of the Universal Carrier? It seems to work well with the 1CP Raid ability, or should I keep it until late game when I have my fleet of tanks?
10 Nov 2016, 13:53 PM

Thanks Hector!

Would you suggest use of the Universal Carrier? It seems to work well with the 1CP Raid ability, or should I keep it until late game when I have my fleet of tanks?

I only use defensive bren carrier against ostheer players- with vickers upgrade it can keep sniper at bay til commados come.

I won´t suggest using this ability early on because you need any spare munition for piats and mines (and maybe bren vickers). But it have some of it use. It doesn´tonly let your tanks cap, it also make your infantry can faster so if you force enemy to full retreat, you can use it early game as well - mgs for his cutoffs, 1-2 squads can cap whole map in seconds
10 Nov 2016, 23:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I only use defensive bren carrier against ostheer players- with vickers upgrade it can keep sniper at bay til commados come.

I won´t suggest using this ability early on because you need any spare munition for piats and mines (and maybe bren vickers). But it have some of it use. It doesn´tonly let your tanks cap, it also make your infantry can faster so if you force enemy to full retreat, you can use it early game as well - mgs for his cutoffs, 1-2 squads can cap whole map in seconds

If you would build a UC, how would you fit it into your build? Does it come after all your Sections and Vickers? Or would you build it as your 3rd unit?
12 Nov 2016, 17:39 PM

If you would build a UC, how would you fit it into your build? Does it come after all your Sections and Vickers? Or would you build it as your 3rd unit?

Mostly at same time as I tech.First I go tier2 and then UC so you can get at gun sooner. Maybe even after enginners so you have mines. And yes I get both vickers and IS. Actually vickers and mines can hold 222 back for some time til you get AT gun, but still its rather risky because you need them both well positioned or one in house.

This build is only against sniper otherwise you have to defend against many grens and 222 at same time you lack at gun. Also UC is useless against everything except garrisons(flamer) or sniper (vickers) because its too squishy and its counter ussually hit the field in 1 minute
12 Nov 2016, 19:28 PM

i like UC against OKW, since kiting their squads early can reduce your own bleed. it also helps if you're going to rely on commandos instead of infantry sections. i build it immediately after my first IS or vickers.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 9
unknown 3
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak