Login

russian armor

Can't modify individual commanders?

31 Oct 2016, 19:14 PM

CoH2 has several "archetypes" defined inside their tools and while not completely clear, it seems to allow for restrictions based up those types.

However, I have been unable to find individual commander instances below their class archetype.

Is it possible to modify individual commanders? For example, where is the Tiger Ace upgrade defined for commanders? Obviously, they require this passive to call them in, but where is it defined which commanders actually have access to them as part of their command point structure?

Follow up question, how do you define doctrinal units for commanders? Example, the Puma is only available to certain commanders, but moreover is only visible for production to those commanders. Is this a matter of

psuedo
if(pumaDoctrine == True){
panzerKorp.add(puma)
}

Basically, only want certain units to be visible if they are buildable rather than not allowing production, but still showing in production menu

Thanks
31 Oct 2016, 19:52 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The Attribute Editor only modifies XML files, so there are no if-clauses or similar stuff. I recommend watching some basic tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mdO-FQ680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsflS3R0uEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnKsZ0pzG0

What you're looking for is in the "inventory -> commander" and "inventory -> commander_ability" categories, but you can't modify them, or at least it doesn't do anything. The archetypes also have no real function, as far as I know. But still, commander abilities are set up in a fairly simple way.

Let's use the Tiger Ace as an example. You can easily find everything related to it by using the AE's search function. It's set up like this:

1. There is a Tiger Ace upgrade that is granted to the player once Elite Troops Doctrine is chosen, regardless of the current CP value. This upgrade is invisible while playing.

2. There is a Tiger Ace dispatch ability - this is what you click on to get it. To show up, it needs to be added to the ability list in the "army" category and have the proper requirements: The Tiger Ace upgrade, to make sure you have the commander, and a minimum CP value.

For every requirement, you can set a "reason" value. "usage" means that the requirement must be fulfilled for the unit or ability to be usable, while "usage_and_display" means that it must be fulfilled for it to show up and be usable. In this case, you would use "usage_and_display" for the upgrade and "usage" for the CPs.

To help you further, I would need to know what exactly you want to do. I do have a working commander mod, and you're free to look at the source files if you want to see how it works:
https://github.com/PlanetSmasherCOH/CommanderRework
1 Nov 2016, 02:31 AM

The Attribute Editor only modifies XML files, so there are no if-clauses or similar stuff. I recommend watching some basic tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mdO-FQ680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsflS3R0uEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnKsZ0pzG0

What you're looking for is in the "inventory -> commander" and "inventory -> commander_ability" categories, but you can't modify them, or at least it doesn't do anything. The archetypes also have no real function, as far as I know. But still, commander abilities are set up in a fairly simple way.

Let's use the Tiger Ace as an example. You can easily find everything related to it by using the AE's search function. It's set up like this:

1. There is a Tiger Ace upgrade that is granted to the player once Elite Troops Doctrine is chosen, regardless of the current CP value. This upgrade is invisible while playing.

2. There is a Tiger Ace dispatch ability - this is what you click on to get it. To show up, it needs to be added to the ability list in the "army" category and have the proper requirements: The Tiger Ace upgrade, to make sure you have the commander, and a minimum CP value.

For every requirement, you can set a "reason" value. "usage" means that the requirement must be fulfilled for the unit or ability to be usable, while "usage_and_display" means that it must be fulfilled for it to show up and be usable. In this case, you would use "usage_and_display" for the upgrade and "usage" for the CPs.

To help you further, I would need to know what exactly you want to do. I do have a working commander mod, and you're free to look at the source files if you want to see how it works:
https://github.com/PlanetSmasherCOH/CommanderRework

I only mentioned if-else as an example. I wasn't quite sure how to explain it in terms of the modding tools.

What I was trying to figure out was how to change the abilities that come with each commander. It would appear that the commander -> commander_abilities does contain what I am trying to modify however, you say they "don't do anything" ?

Just as an example, say I wanted to give the 'Mechanized Assault Doctrine' access to Pumas with the requisite ability, could I not simply replace or add a commander_ability to enable this function?

Essentially, what I'm trying to do is this:
1. For certain commanders give access to the Panzer IV Aus f J others the standard Panzer IV.
2. Currently, I have the conditional set so that the Support Armor Corps has both available for production, but depending on the upgrades that are met, they may or may not be able to produce them.

My question is, is it possible to only have the models available in the production menu depending on which criteria are fulfilled?

Example: Jaeger/Infantry Doctrine would only see standard Panzer IV; Armor doctrine would see the Aus F J model in their spawner. I've already created the working units, but as of now both show in the menu and are simply crossed out if the commander does not meet the requirements.
1 Nov 2016, 13:20 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2016, 02:31 AMArtigo
Just as an example, say I wanted to give the 'Mechanized Assault Doctrine' access to Pumas with the requisite ability, could I not simply replace or add a commander_ability to enable this function?

No, that doesn't work. You have to modify the Puma dispatch ability:
german\modal_ability\dispatch\puma_dispatch

The requirements could look like this:

resource (5CP; "reason" set to "usage")
any_in_list ("reason" set to "usage_and_display"):
-player_upgrade
(upgrade\german\commander\passive\puma_dispatch; "reason" set to "usage_and_display")
-player_upgrade
(upgrade\german\commander\passive\stug_iii_e_unlock; "reason" set to "usage_and_display")

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2016, 02:31 AMArtigo
Essentially, what I'm trying to do is this:
1. For certain commanders give access to the Panzer IV Aus f J others the standard Panzer IV.
2. Currently, I have the conditional set so that the Support Armor Corps has both available for production, but depending on the upgrades that are met, they may or may not be able to produce them.

My question is, is it possible to only have the models available in the production menu depending on which criteria are fulfilled?

Example: Jaeger/Infantry Doctrine would only see standard Panzer IV; Armor doctrine would see the Aus F J model in their spawner. I've already created the working units, but as of now both show in the menu and are simply crossed out if the commander does not meet the requirements.

You simply have to set the "reason" value for the required_player_upgrade you're using to "usage_and_display", as I described in my first post!
1 Nov 2016, 13:59 PM

You simply have to set the "reason" value for the required_player_upgrade you're using to "usage_and_display", as I described in my first post!

Usage_and_display - brilliant! Can't believe I overlooked that hah. Thank you for your help I do appreciate it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 76
South Africa 1
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak