Login

russian armor

1on1 / 2on2 - beginner / noob questions

30 Oct 2016, 16:06 PM

Hi im new to okw and coh 2 in general. I decided that okw is my go to faction to play. I like the idea of starving units but with high quality equipment. (I hope thats correct ;) ) i have some questions regarding okw.

- i dont have scavenge doctrine. Is it essential for playing okw to the full potential?

- whats the main disadvantage playing okw and how will my enemies exploit that?

- what are the main advantages?

- are there any mistakes i have to avoid at all costs?

- do i have to choose between t1 and t2? I dont know if puma and stuka is worth it

- what is the best tank to deal with lets say fireflys? The stugs feel so weak. Tiger? Panther? Any call in tanks? What are the general purposes for each tank?

- which commanders are usefull 1on1 and 2on2 with ostheer companion?

Ty in advance
30 Oct 2016, 16:57 PM

Hello! For your questions:

1, Yes, Scavenge is the most well-rounded, viable doctrine that's almost a must-have in your loadout. It gives you good, infiltration sniper units, Ostwind (OKW doesn't have it by default!, it CAN help you overcome the disadvantage after light vehicles rolled out. It's good against infantry, planes and the light vehicles that will be on the field by the time you get it. Another ability, probably hands-down the best cost-effective arty in the game (after the 7.5 cm ISG support ability from OST mech assault commander). An improved salvage that gives you +5 fuel (standard salvage) and +15 munitions (that's the upgrade). It also gives you a nice grenade assault that's good for garrison cleaning (if you want to knock down a wooden house from full HP, it's your best bet) as it costs 15 munitions and every alive member in the squad throws one.

2, The main disadvantages for OKW is probably the lack of handheld AT (yes, sturmpios can have 1! schreck, but they're costly so you don't want to get mb bleed). I think 1 SP with sweeper and 1 with a schreck can be a solid combo. Sadly allied early game can be so aggressive (yes, I'm looking at you penals and M3 HT). The other disadvantage is the lack of early snare so a lot of people like to use T1, flamer penal + M3 against them as soviets as you can't faust it till you convert a truck, so you either get a raketen early (270 mp, volks cost 250) or you try to survive it. From USF, mech company can be hard in the early game as it gives them the WC 51 jeep with .50 cal on it, and that too can garrison a riflemen squad. Last disadvantage is that you can't trade in fights like soviets as the units are quite expensive.

3, I'm not sure what to say in advantages. It's not an A-move faction any more, but if you go mech and puma you can easily deal with enemy light vehicles. Another one is the Kübelwagen as it can outcap the enemy and doesn't bleed you precious manpower.(mostly in 1v1 tho, but can work in 2v2)

4, Yes, one mistake and you are done :D Just kidding, but the worst mistake you can do is losing squads. Not just early game, but the whole game. OKW has 5 levels of vet and it's really painful if you lose a vet5 unit during the game.

5, Against tank destroyers you either need infantry AT (like raketenwerfer) or a superior TD (like JP4 with it's vet1 alien camo). Remember that fireflies cost 440/155 and stugs only cost 280/90. Tiger is an AI (anti-infantry) tank that can withstand fair amount of enemy fire. Panther is a said TD as it's only good against other armor and have great speed with good armor so it CAN act like a cannon fodder for enemy fire or even flank the enemy.

6, For 1v1 I would say that Scavenge, Spec Ops are a must, the last one is up to your liking (Elite Armored with it's Sturmtiger can work too but it's really situation dependent).

For 2v2 with OST mate: Scavenge AND/OR Spec Ops with either Fortifications or anything. It really doesn't matter as you'll pick the first 2 about 60-80% of the time.

Hope I helped!

Cheers :thumb:
4 Nov 2016, 06:03 AM

Has the OKW any way to reinforce their units on the field?

The batallion command (the one with the medics) it's better to place it inside your base or in the field?
4 Nov 2016, 07:18 AM

1, No, OKW doesn't have any units that could reinforce them on the field, except for the Battlegroup HQ (the medic truck) which can also serve as a retreat point but is static so vulnerable to enemy IDF.

2, Depends on the situation, gamemode and map. If you play 1v1 it is strongly advised to place it in your base sector as the maps are considerably smaller than 2v2s.

However in 2s you can also place it in your base (if you are 2 OKW mates) to help out your teammate too. The usual double OKW team consists of player 1 going for medic truck and player 2 going for mech hq. But if you have a Wehr teammate you should go mech hq, since they can place a medic bunker anywhere but don't have proper vehicle to counter allied light vehicles.

Hope I helped :thumb:
4 Nov 2016, 20:38 PM

Yikes, I find field reinformcents are escential for the german factions because they have the lowest model count of them all.
4 Nov 2016, 21:00 PM

Not really, considering Volksgrenadiers (OKW mainline infantry) consists of 5 men squads (same as USF Riflemen). Yes, all other squads are only 4-man but you won't get more than 1 of them (Obers) or you'll go dry in manpower. OKW's said main advantage is it's early game dominance. But this isn't totally true since the June patch, as Penals became terminators and sov T1 + guards meta became viable.

So overall: OKW can live without field reinforcement if you use your squads correctly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★