Login

russian armor

Biggest Concern for COH 2

28 Nov 2012, 00:34 AM

I hope that Relic don't make the same mistake as they did with OF and that is try to change the equation to be different because they are worried about the gameplay being stale.

The big thing that really hurt OF was the fact that they tried so hard to make the factions different that they forgot what made the game great. No MG's, No Snipers, Limited Gimmicky abilities and Linear tech choices.

I'm really worried when they have already stated that they are moving away from the sniper camo mechanic, no medics and the cold mechanic.

Companies are starting to become much wiser and listen to the professionals of the community and I hope Relic is in this basket. Valve have done it for CS-GO and it is paying dividends, look at what happened with CSS when they didn't.

Don't Fuck up this fantastic franchise Relic, you have created something special and if you fuck this up, I hope you get gobbled up and spat out by EA :)
28 Nov 2012, 00:47 AM

My hopes are high on this one. That being said we will always be comparing it to classic CoH (wehr/american) and I'm not sure it would be wise to do that since CoH2 is trying to capture the war on the Eastern Front and the challenges those times brought to both army's.

As 12azor mentioned in his article it "feels" like CoH. So as long as they don't stray too much I think it will be okay, but different.
28 Nov 2012, 00:58 AM

My only real worry so far is the Commander/Doctrine situation. Every other new feature sounds good, on paper at least.
28 Nov 2012, 04:48 AM

That new resources system is worrying me.
28 Nov 2012, 08:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge

People should stop wishing for COH1 with new graphics. We all love COH1 and it still looks sharp. But after playing it for 6 years i expect some fresh air.

As warhawks said, it should feel like COH1, but it shouldn't be a 1on1 copy.

From what i have read so far, they are adding new features, and tweak existing concepts. It doesn't look like a completely odd design to me, yet. MGs and Snipers are in the game, so the Beta is there to sharpen their role.
28 Nov 2012, 09:15 AM
Caster Badge

Why is moving away from Sniper camo a bad idea ? One of my favorite ones to be honest. No more invisible guys shooting people left and right :p Allows for more tactics.. and no more sniper spam. Plus, it would rather render the whole point of True sight a bit moot if you could just send in an invisible guy :)

Plus there is a beta to help with those matters.

Anyways, the core is CoH from what i can see. But they are obviously trying to make their improvements.
28 Nov 2012, 10:47 AM

I'm hate gimmicky shit but the sniper mechanics for COH 1 is a masterpiece albeit unfinished. Sniping appearing and uncamoing for longer and longer times is brilliant.

In saying that, it could be better but realistically we were so close but Relic ran out of time on the last patch and we have an unperfected yet extremely fun sniper mechanic as a result.

Realism is cool but you have to always consider gameplay first.

The perfect example of this is red orchestra. For red orch 2, they went for realism over gameplay and the game was a dismal failure.
28 Nov 2012, 11:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2012, 10:47 AMHeathen
In saying that, it could be better but realistically we were so close but Relic ran out of time on the last patch and we have an unperfected yet extremely fun sniper mechanic as a result.

An extremely fun sniper mechanic that sucks the joy right out of you! :(
28 Nov 2012, 14:30 PM

My hopes are high on this one. That being said we will always be comparing it to classic CoH (wehr/american) and I'm not sure it would be wise to do that since CoH2 is trying to capture the war on the Eastern Front and the challenges those times brought to both army's.

As 12azor mentioned in his article it "feels" like CoH. So as long as they don't stray too much I think it will be okay, but different.

War on eastern front was a bloodbath. In a game standpoint if you were to try to make both armies realistic to this war Germany will have such a superior army that USSR should almost always lose unless the player builds about 10 times more infantry and just blobs them to win. Which is essentially what Stalin did to win.
28 Nov 2012, 14:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I am pretty sure Relic is intelligent enough to not go for a realistic approach, but have gameplay in mind.

actually i hope realism geeks stay away from this forum, cause arguing with them is kinda tedious
28 Nov 2012, 14:56 PM

War on eastern front was a bloodbath. In a game standpoint if you were to try to make both armies realistic to this war Germany will have such a superior army that USSR should almost always lose unless the player builds about 10 times more infantry and just blobs them to win. Which is essentially what Stalin did to win.

I see German WW2 propaganda still affects minds of people. In fact it's really funny to read "German army was superior" guys when "superior" army began and lost both World Wars. Can't you understand that it's impossible to win "just blobbing' - no one belligerent could do it even during WWI (without real tanks, planes, SMGs).

I hope... no I'm sure that Relic won't make hordes of Russians storming one MG42 - it'll be as stupid (not this Brit-shit again, lol) as not fully historically accurate. Saying "Red Army sucked" you're humiliating Wehrmacht - it's a shame to loose to inferior enemy, nein?
28 Nov 2012, 15:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge

my biggest concern is the mirco payments and anything to do with the purchasing system will they fuck that up. that remains to be seen.
28 Nov 2012, 15:11 PM
Honorary Member Badge

The perfect example of this is red orchestra. For red orch 2, they went for realism over gameplay and the game was a dismal failure.

actually its funny everyone loved red orchestra 1 that played it regularly. anyways had a nice following the biggest problem was that they tried to satisfy both the realism crowd and the run and gun crowd and basically killed there game. not only that but they handled marketing terribly and the game doesn't even work much less have any of the features that were promised shortly after release.

big ro1 fan liked ro1 just the way it was then they felt the need to call over the cod crowd with ro2 and now all the ro1 guys have pretty much left and a new following has been established.
28 Nov 2012, 16:39 PM
Caster Badge

I'm hate gimmicky shit but the sniper mechanics for COH 1 is a masterpiece albeit unfinished. Sniping appearing and uncamoing for longer and longer times is brilliant.

Realism is cool but you have to always consider gameplay first.

Well that would be your opinion. Personally i always found snipers to be tiresome and not really fitting in the game. Largely because they could move around invisibly. The current of only camo in cover makes much more sense to be honest. Also allows for something more sensible tactically when it comes to something invisible.. rather than just trying to guess and hope you get lucky.

And finally as i also tried to say. Fact is, with the new line of sight system. A unit that can move around invisibly would be rather .. Problematic. And would also undermine it. Why bother scouting intelligently when you can send in a magician ?
29 Nov 2012, 02:02 AM

WiFiDi, if you actually looked at what killed RO2, it was because it was too realistic. Guns became uberpowerful, MP40 was a laser gun and it was supposed to be a short range weapon only.

You get killed heaps more easily in RO2 that RO1, that made it harder to get into the game. The core components of the game were far more realistic. People like yourself often misunderstood what actually killed the game because RO2 threw in some gimmicky shit to try and make it easier to get into.

The bottom line is that the guns were completely unbalanced in RO2, in RO1, the balance while accidental was incredible. I don't know if you ever played a MOD for RO called Darkest Hour but that improved the gun balance even better and made for an unparalleled game. It did arcady things that made the game so much better to play like making PPSH recoil higher, Semi Automatic snipers less accurate than Bolt action snipers, MG's far more powerful and accurate, bolt actions more accurate, grenades less powerful.

The point is, Realism is great but in small doses. The dynamic of snipers is genius. Pulling off that Counter snipe is engrossing, important and flat out fun and rewarding. Remembering when I say this, I also think it isn't perfected but still fucking genius none the less even in the form it is for 2.602.

I also comprehend more than most the need for something different but it can be done while keeping the core fun gameplay.

I may come across as being critical and negative but trust me when I say that I want COH2 to succeed. The amount of hours entertainment make it best game I have ever played and I have played a lot of games.
29 Nov 2012, 07:31 AM

Heathen, about the snipers: if i remember correctly, some thq/relic guy once said that they found that the snipers are a bit too powerful in CoH1, in the sense that a player with perfect micro (cloak/uncloak) has an advantage over players with less micro. So they wanted this micro game to disappear, and instead bring in some new goals for the snipers ( = providing line of sight for the other units ).
29 Nov 2012, 08:17 AM

Pionr, Prepare yourself for rapeage.

" if i remember correctly, some thq/relic guy once said that they found that the snipers are a bit too powerful in CoH1, in the sense that a player with perfect micro (cloak/uncloak) has an advantage over players with less micro."

Get some lube my friend.
29 Nov 2012, 11:40 AM
Caster Badge

Why on earth should he do that ? He just reported on what he recalled.

And i can understand that line of thinking from THQ/Relic. In a game about Tactics and strategy. Micromanagement should not be the key. Actual strategy ought to be.

If you want Micromanagement to be the defining factor. There are games that suit that desire.
29 Nov 2012, 12:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge

micromanagement is just as much a part of a strategy game as the other components you listed up. COH1 was already extremely low on micromanagement. Reducing it even more will leave almost no room anymore to distinguish between good and great players.
29 Nov 2012, 12:56 PM

Heathen, i can understand that you do not like what i wrote, but try to keep it a bit civil, if you can do that at least.

And i agree with OnkelSam.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS