Login

russian armor

Hey! Aspiring caster here.

24 Sep 2016, 00:41 AM

Hey guys, I'm bitwise.
Some people ask about the name - just like the words clockwise, lengthwise, etc., it just means related to bits (binary digits). I was an IRC operator in a computer enthusiast channel and it was a triple entendre.

I've been playing Company of Heroes since the first release, and have quite a bit of experience in other strategy games (RTSes like Dawn of War, Starcraft, Warcraft, C&C, etc, also turn-based like Civilization and Warlords). I spend most of my game time not getting better against humans, but theory-crafting and testing game mechanics, which is most easily done versus AIs.

I started making YouTube videos on gaming in 2006, though I never got serious about it, and I've retired my old content. I recently started making CoH 2 videos again and would love it if you could check them out and give me any feedback on them.

My channel is here: The Bitwise

Here's an embed of my latest attempt:
(I know there were a few times where I just let the camera sit somewhere uninteresting while I was talking, I'll make sure to work on that in the future)

Thanks for all the work you guys do keeping this community running and offering services like the replay library.
24 Sep 2016, 03:01 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Initial opinion: Your style of casting seems to be catered to entry level gamers. This isn't a negative or positive thing, it's just a fact. If you channel that, maybe trying to cast instructional games from your viewers, I think you could do something interesting. I would definitely stick around to see what you would do with that kind of formula.
It is important, though, that you play the game to some extent to keep your understanding of the game fresh in your mind. Otherwise, you may start giving tainted advice after a while like some casters I've seen.

Please ask me if you have any questions.
24 Sep 2016, 16:03 PM

Thanks! I'll take your advice to heart. I'm not actually sure what kind of viewership I'm going to get (if any), so I've been in the habit of making stuff that seems accessible for people unfamiliar with CoH 2. Whether that's the right choice for tournament replays, I'm not sure.

I will focus on some more automatch vs humans -- I'm pretty experienced against AIs, but they don't usually use tactics like driving around with a flamethrower squad firing out of a half-track.

Do you have any suggestions on a good place to share CoH 2 vids?
25 Sep 2016, 05:18 AM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

I would definitely encourage you to continue to cater to people relatively inexperienced or unfamiliar with the game.

You can post them on this site by starting a thread for your videos. The community page for steam could be another opportunity.

You should use everything about being a small caster to your advantage, including interacting with viewers by encouraging people to comment, and offering advice to players who send in their replays (maybe even starting with a promise to at least look at anyone's replay if they send it to you).

I'd be willing to stick around for a while and call you out in private if you say something blatantly incorrect while casting. I know a few good casters casters who fall victim to honest chronic mistakes (calling the MG-34 the MG-42 etc.) that kind of take away from the experience.
26 Sep 2016, 11:53 AM

Quick feedback: scrolling is too much esp in and out. When you talk about the west side push from Jove, you jump around the map too much. Try to explain more how to counter what the opponent is doing. So vs X you should do Y etc. If you see ZYX you should counter with TYU. This is if you keep going down the learning new players path. To be interesting for high level plays you really need to know every detail so I think you do well starting at a lower level / entry level. GL. Your voice is very nice to listen to btw. Keep it up.
29 Sep 2016, 21:15 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I made a thread in the CoH2 Shoutcasts section here: https://www.coh2.org/topic/56743/bitwise-casts

I'll focus on zooming and panning less in future games. It's think it's one of those things that looks really obvious as 'what not to do' for the end viewer, but is hard to avoid while trying to cast.

I felt I gave advice on counters, though some of it was at the end of the match. I will try to mention it more during.
29 Sep 2016, 21:31 PM

I like your voice man, nice to listen to. Keep working on those tips you got and you will get there!
30 Sep 2016, 00:18 AM
Patrion 14

nice voice? i shall check it out :).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment