Login

russian armor

Armor Company vs Rifle Company

23 Aug 2016, 17:55 PM

I'd like to see how other compare and contrast these two commanders. I feel like there's only room in my roster for one or the other (although this thread may change that belief, perhaps I just need to let go of Airborne...). In any case, this is strictly for team games. 1v1 in CoH just isn't my thing. Armor and Rifle are interesting because they have quite a few similarities, but also several key differences. There are a couple of asymmetrical comparisons below as the companies are a bit asymmetrical.

My questions (also the TL:DR part if you don't want to read my analysis):
So what do you think. Are the two companies interchangeable? Would you have both in your lineup? What situation(maps, opponents, allies etc) would you rather have one or the other?

My analysis:
AE vs RE with flamethrowers.
They both have the ability to acquire a flamethrower infantry. This is done in different ways and both have the pros and cons. REs are cheaper than AEs and since you start the game with one you do not need to drop MP just to get one unlike AEs which cost a whopping 280MP. The squads have comparable squishiness although RE does get a 5th man at vet 2. AEs of course have the legendary demo charge and the handy AT mine. In terms of needing a flamethrower both squads do the job about the same - sure AE might get a squad wipe due to those nasty grease guns, but the RE will still displace units from a building. AE do have more utility but it comes at a cost. I'd say Armor has the advantage in this category but only if you really use the AEs demo charges and mines. RE's equipped with flamethrowers are adequate building clearers.

Elite vehicle crew, rifleman flares, fire up
Rifle comapny clearly wins in terms of added abilities. Elite vehicle crew is a complete waste. Use those 90 MU on another demo charge or just throw another nade or something. Flares are handy as is the fire up ability. Not saying I use either just a whole ton, but I'd say both are far and away better than elite vehicle crew.

white phosphorus vs 240mm
As much as I enjoy dropping 240mm hell on kraut positions it's a frustratingly RNG and super expensive barrage that is more about potential area denial than actually killing anything (although it can and it is awesome when it does). White phosphorus on the other hand is one of the most useful off map barrages in the USF line up, especially vs Ostheer with all their danged team weapons. It's also incredibly nasty in that it slows down retreating units so if timed and cast properly you can get some pretty devastating squad wipes. WP barrage is also available much sooner.

Easy 8 vs M10 and 105mm Sherman.
This is the meat of the comparison right here I'd say. Easy 8 is one of the best all around tanks in the game. However, it's not exactly cheap, it's not the best tank for killing other tanks, and it's not the best tank for killing infantry, it's also not the best tank for spearheading an assault. But, but... it can do all of those things respectably and it's one of the only ones that can. It also has to be constructed not just called in, but it is available as soon as you get a Major and is not CP dependent like M10 or 105mm sherman.
Contrast that with the M10/M4 105mm. M10 is great, truly great, one of my favorite units in CoH2. Its fast, has good range, and (something often overlooked with tanks) it has a very fast reload. It also has good vet abilities, and even after the price hike it's still a fairly inexpensive vehicle. This is usefully because it's a great 'suicide mission tank' when you know that to kill that germany heavy tank limping away the only thing you can do is sacrifice a tank or let them repair nothing does the job better and dealing a coup-de-gras than M10s. The main thing is that it is very efficient at countering both Ost and OKW midgame tanks. Heck, a small swarm of M10s is on of the best anti-elephant/jagdtiger tactics around if it's executed properly. You'll still need Jacksons though to fend of tigers/king tigers. As an added benefit it's also useful for running infantry over, but it's anti-infantry capabilities stop there.
Now, the 105mm sherman *sigh* it has it's uses. I wouldn't say it's a particularly great tank, it's not bad either. I still think M10 works best with stock M4 set to anti-infantry rounds.

When comparing these three though I'd have to point out - Easy 8 is far better in tight spaces than M10. M10 needs space to move around - especially since m10s are usually run in packs of 2-3. 105mm Sherman is handy against massive OKW blobs and its one of the better tanks at wiping AT guns from the front, but there are other ways to deal with those threats.

23 Aug 2016, 22:52 PM

REs now get their 5th man at Vet3, not Vet 2.

As for the Commanders, I rarely pick Armor for the flamers, I pick it because I need M10s to avoid being obliterated by Stug-Es or Prostwind call-ins... Fight fire with fire so to speak.
24 Aug 2016, 07:55 AM

I think armor is a must right now.

Enginners give you mines and demos, while RET don´t, keep that in mind.

Sprint is as useless as vehicle crew thopsons XD

Flare is good, but in my opinion too situational because you need too much munny for smoke and bars

I think both arty are useful in their own manners, phosporus rekt pak walls and 240 mm rekt okw forward bases.

And here comes the main point for armored. Those 2 tanks are call ins. And in call in meta (puma, stug e , oswinds) you need m10s as counterpick to those tanks whitch would rekt you, they can also crush infantry and swarm tanks later on.

Buldozer is great if you attack ground with it.

Easy 8 is fine, but right now sherman for AI and flanks while jacson for tanks is much better combo.

SO for e its armored co, because you need to counterpick and survive 2 oswinds, 2 stug e etc, and believe me, if you went light vehicle you wont have sherman at time they show up ;)
24 Aug 2016, 15:42 PM

Sprint is useful for flanking behind enemy tank and popping AT grenade. That's about all I use it for but it is useful for that.

From what both of you have said seems like the main reason to go armored over rifle is just to counter the current 2.5- early T3 meta axis vehicle push.

Are there other options for dealing with that? 57MM AT gun? Bazookas? Stuart?

25 Aug 2016, 07:31 AM

Flares are good combined with Scott and Jackson, See flares as a munitions trade for MP. You lose less models.
25 Aug 2016, 07:42 AM

Sprint is useful for flanking behind enemy tank and popping AT grenade. That's about all I use it for but it is useful for that.

From what both of you have said seems like the main reason to go armored over rifle is just to counter the current 2.5- early T3 meta axis vehicle push.

Are there other options for dealing with that? 57MM AT gun? Bazookas? Stuart?

ostheer tier 3 or okw tier4 itself is not problem, if they went light vehilce as you, both will have around same time medium on field, if they played without vehicle, you gained map and can possibly get sherman even faster.

What is hovewr problem are call ins, OKW will never have problem to field 1-2 oswinds at 8 CP because they dont have to pay 135 fuel for tier4 to build them, same with oshteer stug e.

And because they are AI tanks you need tank yourself to counter them without big bleed. Thats why you go m10 because you also save fuel (youre not going tier 4 direcly, you will go it after 2 m10s)

Hope you understand it better now, armored co is counterpick against meta doctrines
7 Oct 2016, 21:09 PM
Admin Red  Badge

I think that Armour Company has an huge advantage by granting you both decent AT and AI tanks earlier than Rifle without teching. Furthermore you can call in Assault Engineers to give them flamers which turns Rifle Company superfluous in my opinion because flamers would be the reason why I would choose Rifle over Armour. I can't tell which offmap of both Companies is better since they fulfill different roles: Armour's artillery barrage on the one hand is called in to displace hostile positions Rifle's phosphorous rounds on the other hand are used to strike decisively.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★