Login

russian armor

I can't bring myself to play this game

raw
20 Aug 2016, 14:54 PM

I tried to play some CoH2 again and the game made sure very quickly that I am too frustrated to continue playing. The game is falling apart at the seams. So many dumb bugs that make the game either outright unplayable or extremely frustrating linger around since launch. To name just a few from the top of my head:

• When the game starts, very often the mouse is invisible and tied to the camera so that I cannot do anything in the game except tilting the camera and I have to do a minimize/maximize orgy (ALT+Enter) in order to get my mouse back.
  • Sometimes the game starts *below* the actual desktop! Only remedy is killing it via task manager. (I am talking about loading into the actual game where you move units and shoot things, not the launch into main menu here.)
  • Because the mouse is contrained to the CoH2 window even if the CoH2 window is in the background you can't drag the CoH2 window around (goes well in conjunction with the bug above)
  • The main menu is extremly sluggish. I have a decent rig and get less than 20 FPS in the main menu. Clicking on commander, skins, etc... buttons to bring up the list blocks the entire UI for a couple of seconds. Argh.
  • No borderless fullscreen mode. For fucks sake.
  • The game end screen sometimes takes ages to display, particulary when the game lasted longer.

It has been 3 years by now and all these annoyances are in sum so offputting that I can't bring myself to play more than 1-2 games before I quit in frustration. Sorry for the overly dramatic title; I love the game and want to play it but I just can't anymore. Why can't you just make this game *work*, Relic?
20 Aug 2016, 14:57 PM

What?

With exception of sluggish main menu (in forst 5secs after launch) I havent faced any problem you listed (2-3 times point 1 but that's it). Still Alt+Enter isn't a big issue to click right?

I feel butthurt...
20 Aug 2016, 14:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2016, 14:54 PMraw
I tried to play some CoH2 again and the game made sure very quickly that I am too frustrated to continue playing. The game is falling apart at the seams. So many dumb bugs that make the game either outright unplayable or extremely frustrating linger around since launch. To name just a few from the top of my head:

• When the game starts, very often the mouse is invisible and tied to the camera so that I cannot do anything in the game except tilting the camera and I have to a minimize/maximize orgy (ALT+Enter) in order to get my mouse back.
  • Sometimes the game starts *below* the actual desktop! Only remedy is killing it via task manager. (I am talking about loading into the actual game where you move units and shoot things, not the launch into main menu here.)
  • Because the mouse is contrained to the CoH2 window even if the CoH2 window is in the background you can't drag the CoH2 window around (goes well in conjunction with the bug above)
  • The main menu is extremly sluggish. I have a decent rig and get less than 20 FPS in the main menu. Clicking on commander, skins, etc... buttons to bring up the list blocks the entire UI for a couple of seconds. Argh.
  • The game end screen sometimes takes ages to display, particulary when the game lasted longer.

It has been 3 years by now and all these annoyances are in sum so offputting that I can't bring myself to play 1-2 games after I quit in frustration again. I love this game and want to play it but I just can't anymore. Why can't you just make this game *work*, Relic?

Hmmm, it's no secret Relic hasn't optimized the game much, but some of these issues seem rather localized. This is the first time I've heard some of these issues at all.
20 Aug 2016, 15:37 PM

For that first issue, the better solution is alt backspace backspace (assuming you prefer the default viewing angle.)
raw
20 Aug 2016, 15:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2016, 14:59 PMGdot

Hmmm, it's no secret Relic hasn't optimized the game much, but some of these issues seem rather localized. This is the first time I've heard some of these issues at all.

I am not really interested in discussing the existance of the bugs I named. I could easily make this list a lot longer with a bit of effort. These are just the issues that jumped to mind most quickly because they are haunting me constantly since the launch of the game and Relic already knows about them anyway.

The point I am making is that the technical execution of CoH2 3 years after launch is at an all time low and for me it has reached a point where I would call it unacceptable. And I know I am not alone on that. Relic should *really* consider investing some time and money smoothing the game out instead of half-assed content updates for ingame loot (why that completely irrelevant system was prioritized over basic technical fixes is completely beyond me).
20 Aug 2016, 15:38 PM

I also never had or heard of this problems!
20 Aug 2016, 15:40 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

• When the game starts, very often the mouse is invisible and tied to the camera so that I cannot do anything in the game except tilting the camera and I have to do a minimize/maximize orgy (ALT+Enter) in order to get my mouse back.

Yo, you just need to hit the alt key. For some reason it gets stuck on in the loading screen(alt-tab issues maybe?) and you just need to hit the rotate camera button to fix it. Pretty funny that you've been doing alt+ enter the whole time and coincidentally fixing it.
raw
20 Aug 2016, 15:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2016, 15:40 PMTobis

Yo, you just need to hit the alt key. For some reason it gets stuck on in the loading screen(alt-tab issues maybe?) and you just need to hit the rotate camera button to fix it. Pretty funny that you've been doing alt+ enter the whole time and coincidentally fixing it.

Hitting rotate cam does not fix it for me. Either way, this should be fixed by now.
20 Aug 2016, 16:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2016, 15:38 PMraw

I am not really interested in discussing the existance of the bugs I named. I could easily make this list a lot longer with a bit of effort. These are just the issues that jumped to mind most quickly because they are haunting me constantly since the launch of the game and Relic already knows about them anyway.

The point I am making is that the technical execution of CoH2 3 years after launch is at an all time low and for me it has reached a point where I would call it unacceptable. And I know I am not alone on that. Relic should *really* consider investing some time and money smoothing the game out instead of half-assed content updates for ingame loot (why that completely irrelevant system was prioritized over basic technical fixes is completely beyond me).

My point was these are unique issues. Did you post about these specific issues here or official forums before? Seems like you're all pissy about something not being fixed when you never even rose the complaint in the first place.
20 Aug 2016, 17:44 PM

Nvidia? Because coh2 doesn't like geforce iirc.
20 Aug 2016, 18:20 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I have a few fixes:

See my below fix and see if that helps this issue too.

This happens sometimes when you alt-enter. See blow
    See below
    #lelicproblems
    This should fix your issues:

Go to set launch options in steam>library>Company of Heroes 2>Properties>SetLaunchOptionsand add these commands:

Code
    -nomovies -window -fullwindow -forceactive -lockMouse

That should remove all the wierd window issues you're having, and should give you borderless fullscreen as well. You might suffer a very slight drops in frames by doing thing this.(just letting it run true fullscreen always gives better frames for me) Let me know if this works.

The new war spoils thingy sucks dick, cant argue there

20 Aug 2016, 19:07 PM
Patrion 14

I have a few fixes:
The main menu is extremly sluggish. I have a decent rig and get less than 20 FPS in the main menu. Clicking on commander, skins, etc... buttons to bring up the list blocks the entire UI for a couple of seconds. Argh.
#lelicproblems

This can be remedied/fixed by deleting the background videos which cap everything at 30 or below fps. Navigate to the following folder steam/steamapps/common/Company of Heroes 2/CoH2/Movies and delete or rename everything .webm file with the name flag in it.

Sadly I still haven't figured out how to create webm files otherwise I would have made some nice background images which would probably just solve the issue but there are worse things than just a black background but responsive menus :D . Maybe someone else knows.
20 Aug 2016, 20:14 PM

Never encountered any of these problems except for the sluggish main menu and that's only on like q few occasions so yeah... Very rarely. And just because your parents or whatever got you a nice computer doesn't mean it can send a shuttle in space and can (should) run the game at 120 FPS at 1920x1080 res doesn't mean shit.

Sometimes games are not optimized and require some tweaking by the user or playing on lower than max/high settings.

No seriously, I'm sorry but you have no idea how many 12 year olds with NASA computers I've seen complain on the forums.
raw
20 Aug 2016, 20:51 PM

you have no idea how many 12 year olds with NASA computers I've seen complain on the forums.

Are you talking about yourself? Because I am 30 and bought the PC from the money I earned through my job. Not that it matters where the money for the PC comes from to make Relic's buggy mess any more valid.

@sherlock, deleting the videos helps a little but I don't think it will survive the next patch.
20 Aug 2016, 20:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2016, 20:51 PMraw

Are you talking about yourself? Because I am 30 and bought the PC from the money I earned through my job. Not that it matters where the money for the PC comes from to make Relic's buggy mess any more valid.

@sherlock, deleting the videos helps a little but I don't think it will survive the next patch.

Oh, I think I offended the big man that's 30 and works over the Internet.

Listen bud, I'm 17 and work as well and my dad recently got me a 400 dollar gaming laptop from 2011 which I've tweaked and the game enough to run it twice as better as the thousand dollar heap you've probably assembled with half the problems you've reported here.

So don't go all high and mighty on me, brah.
20 Aug 2016, 21:02 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Aug 2016, 20:51 PMraw

It won't sadly. With the next patch it will redownload these in all likelihood, which is why I'm trying to figure out how to create files one could use to replace the capped videos from Relic. One could also simply write a macro to delete the files after every patch. For me deleting these files is worth it since it does improve the menus for me quite a bit. I made relic aware of this issue and even gave them suggestions to solve it, they acknowledged it but didn't do anything so far unfortunately, but maybe we'll see something in the future :)
20 Aug 2016, 23:39 PM

Coh2 is very wierd sometimes.
Alt-Tabing while waiting for a game is a gamble, sometimes it crashes sometimes it doesn't.
Often enough I loaded into a game and have to wait 10-120 seconds until it actually starts or someone crashes.
And since 3 months I have all my menues 50% transparent, which looks wierd but I got used to it.
I think it turned this way after a crash.
21 Aug 2016, 00:40 AM

Why can't you just make this game *work*, Relic?

We created a channel around the many annoyances you describe. Check it out, maybe it will bring you some catharsis:

21 Aug 2016, 00:50 AM
Donator 11

If the main menue frustrates you already, i what the actual game does to you...

:loco:
21 Aug 2016, 04:32 AM

It won't sadly. With the next patch it will redownload these in all likelihood, which is why I'm trying to figure out how to create files one could use to replace the capped videos from Relic. One could also simply write a macro to delete the files after every patch. For me deleting these files is worth it since it does improve the menus for me quite a bit. I made relic aware of this issue and even gave them suggestions to solve it, they acknowledged it but didn't do anything so far unfortunately, but maybe we'll see something in the future :)

I have made my replay folder read only from properties, security tab as a performance tweak to my game.

I think I saw an option there called 'read' which can also be ticked, as in you deny access to the system to read that file, maybe it's worth a shot for him to try that out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★