32%
34%
5%
11%
18%
Total votes: 38
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
6 Aug 2016, 00:31 AM

One thing that i have missed from vcoh was the explosions effects. In vCoh they felt just more satisfying when artillery shells exploded etc, and also felt it packed a bigger punch. Compared to coh2 it is very dimmed down, might be for performance reasons or something else, who knows. But i just made a side to side comparison.

note* the m8 scott and 105 sherman in vcoh is from the "Europe at war" mod. But i used it to show for comparison purposes
6 Aug 2016, 00:40 AM

one of the big changes coh1-coh2 was to make it less Hollywood like. Base buildings also abandon the giant barn factories and super elite Nazi tank factories in favor of more realistic tents trucks and holes in the ground.
I personally think this change was the worst thing to happen to the company of heroes franchise, and you are totally right, we should have big more satisfying explosions over the tiny explosions we have now.
6 Aug 2016, 00:44 AM

its fine, i dont wanna lose my FPS
6 Aug 2016, 00:50 AM

The effects in vCoH were sooooo good ... I miss them.
6 Aug 2016, 05:10 AM

1. Explosions were great. Much more great, than in CoH 2.

2. All other graphics-physics issues were better too. For example, hits in tanks. They looked and sounded like it is really hit in metal tincan. In CoH 2 - sometimes it looks like platic models fighting. And reflecting shells... in CoH 1 they were really great. Still remember, how Panther reflected direct hits from... 25 pounder.

3. Obviously, nobody will improve CoH 2 in all those ways, cos 1.) Relics are too lazy; 2.) Game is already bad optimised and lag even on PCs, where GTA 5 works fine, so improving graphics will only cause burn of people videocards. And nobody gonna improve optimisation, becasue *look at point 1.)* 3.) Soon comes DoW 3, so... who needs CoH 2 at all?
6 Aug 2016, 06:27 AM
Senior Referee Badge

3.) Soon comes DoW 3, so... who needs CoH 2 at all?

Me
6 Aug 2016, 07:39 AM

the only problem ive got is the ridiculous 17pounder when it shoots the dirt. so much dirt in the air caused by a 76mm gun, but it looks like some 203mm howitzer shell hitting the ground. lelic pls
6 Aug 2016, 08:00 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Did Relic ever talk about sound effects for explosive ammunition? I know that they recorded small arms at various distances and engine noises of functioning tanks but... did they do the same for artillery pieces?

If they did, then changes that may make the guns sound "weaker" would actually be more "authentic".

It's cool, though, that the M8 Scott has a model, at least in this mod. Pretty dope.
6 Aug 2016, 09:30 AM

1.) Relics are too lazy;
[...] GTA5 > CoH1 > CoH2 [...]
so... who needs CoH 2 at all?

I need CoH2.
If you prefer DoW3, or if you prefer GTA5, go on the relevant forums. If you hate Relic, don't hang around CoH2 fanforums telling people that their favourite game is not needed whilst insulting the developers.

On topic: I actually prefer the explosions in CoH2 as they are more appropriate for the intended gameplay; but I always thought the sound effects in CoH1 were better and more atmospheric.
6 Aug 2016, 10:09 AM

1. Explosions were great. Much more great, than in CoH 2.

Game is already bad optimised and lag even on PCs, where GTA 5 works fine, so improving graphics will only cause burn of people videocards. And nobody gonna improve optimisation

i agree it is shit optimized, but we aren't talking about improving the graphical quality or optimization. But increasing the size of the blast of explosions. Increasing the size of the explosion is fairly easy, seeing how in they did actually have bigger blasts for the 120mm morter before and few other projectiles. In the attribute editor there are options to change the radius and splat to the projectile. They could have it visually bigger, but doing the same damage as all projectiles do now.

This is from the Beta of coh2. Notice how much visually bigger they used to be. 43:00 shows a nice barrage

now

6 Aug 2016, 10:19 AM

i agree it is shit optimized, but we aren't talking about improving the graphics or optimization. But increasing the size of the blast of explosions. Increasing the size of the explosion is be fairly easy, seeing how in they did actually have bigger blasts for the 120mm morter before and few other projectiles. In the attribute editor there are options to change the radius and splat. They could have it visually bigger, but doing the same damage as all projectiles do now.

Well... my graphics-optimisation part of post were was just "nostaligc thoughts". And I tried to show, that vCoH had better visuals not only in explosions...

But if we talk serious, I think, if they will make visual size of explosions bigger - they will have to make them technicaly "bigger" - larger AoE damage and maybe some side effectis (like in vCoH almost all arty could supress - from mortars to heavy howitzers). That would be actually great, but... it is "indirects buff", which people don't like so much, so... it won't happen, I suppouse.

About tank-howitzers, like KV-2 or Scott - same point. Bigger explosions - bigger causes of explosions. Otherwise it will look a bit strange... But, maybe Im wrong, and there is something else behind it...

6 Aug 2016, 13:49 PM

i agree it is shit optimized, but we aren't talking about improving the graphical quality or optimization. But increasing the size of the blast of explosions. Increasing the size of the explosion is fairly easy, seeing how in they did actually have bigger blasts for the 120mm morter before and few other projectiles. In the attribute editor there are options to change the radius and splat to the projectile. They could have it visually bigger, but doing the same damage as all projectiles do now.

This is from the Beta of coh2. Notice how much visually bigger they used to be. 43:00 shows a nice barrage

now

The only problem I'd have is the amount of smoke as it's causing me to lag, other than that, I can't agree more with you, nice find.
6 Aug 2016, 14:05 PM

3.) Soon comes DoW 3, so... who needs CoH 2 at all?

Me

Me too, i dont care at all about DOW3 :D
6 Aug 2016, 14:12 PM

Me too, i dont care at all about DOW3 :D

Er... when I wrote "who cares about CoH 2", I meant in Relic, lol :D Of course, community cares, and even I do (otherwise nobody of us would be here). But do you really think, that Relic will try to improve CoH 2 anymore? It will be better for them (in $$$ meaning) to make CoH 3.
6 Aug 2016, 14:28 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Er... when I wrote "who cares about CoH 2", I meant in Relic, lol :D Of course, community cares, and even I do (otherwise nobody of us would be here). But do you really think, that Relic will try to improve CoH 2 anymore? It will be better for them (in $$$ meaning) to make CoH 3.

It would be better to start all over again with coh3, maybe they are already doing that B-) , but what new things can you do with coh3. I mean you cant pull out a whole new big army like the soviets in coh2....
6 Aug 2016, 14:43 PM

It would be better to start all over again with coh3, maybe they are already doing that B-) , but what new things can you do with coh3. I mean you cant pull out a whole new big army like the soviets in coh2....

I think they took from WW2 theme everything they could. Really hard to imagine, that they will make something new about that.

WWI strategy is most predictable way of making CoH 3 in that case. But if it will be "WWI strategy, based on unit microcontrol and saving" - it will be wierd :D WWI was a slaughter war. So... either change of topic, which risks, or... the end of series.
6 Aug 2016, 14:44 PM

In that matter you are right, i also don't think that they will do something about that.

I hope that we will get in the future a COH3 in WW2, when they do this i really hope that they will use a new and up to date engine. If they use the same, they better don't do it at all.
COH 2 came out 2013 with no SLI/CF support and very bad optimization, there is no excuse for that.

6 Aug 2016, 16:00 PM
Donator 11

yes, vcoh looked better, but from a gameplay perspective the coh2 version is better for visibility

for the sounds: i think a mix between the two sounds would be good, the sound in vcoh is missing the first sharp explosion sound, the one in coh2 is lacking in regard to the bass and thunder making it much less epic
6 Aug 2016, 16:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2016, 00:44 AMZyswen
its fine, i dont wanna lose my FPS

+1 :snfPeter:
7 Aug 2016, 12:56 PM

It will be wierd :D WWI was a slaughter war. So... either change of topic, which risks, or... the end of series.

Casulties of WW1: about 11.000.000 (11-15 mio estimated, without further casualties)
Casulties of WW2: about 60.000.000 (60-90 mio estimated, without further casualties)

Considering numbers, WW2 was more of a slaughter war. WW1 is still considered by historians that altered the lifes of many countries to come.

There is indeed risk involved taking topics which have not been fully explored to gameify real-life stories and events to fit the mold of intended game-play of a video-game. One never thought WW1 would be an interesting topic for a FPS, considering the general beliefs of trench warfare. WW1 also had quite a few war changing mechanics, e.g. the introduction of the Lincolnshire boiling water on wheels (also known as tank), and air bombardment, which are less explored in WW1 video-games. Yet a popular company managed to adapt WW1 to a FPS, albeit a bit artistically bending the history to their will and the result does look rather fun.

And it seems to pay off for that company, considering the pre-ordering numbers being rather high and other companies intending to explore the WW1 theme.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 51
Russian Federation 33

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment