Login

russian armor

How do I finish off my opponent as Ostheer early game?

15 Jul 2016, 20:50 PM

Permanently Banned
This is quite the opposite of what Ostheer typically does: winning in a few minutes. But I some scenarios, I was able to get my opponents entire force to retreat, then I cap his cutoff and guard it with a mg. Of course to prevent counterharassment, the rest of my force is near my own resources. Now my opponent is desperately fighting to get his cutoff back in the first few minutes. If the roles were reversed, this situation would be gg for Ostheer as you'd expect a quick stuart/t70/aec to wreck you soon and knowing that your fuel starved, he can probably get two light tanks to end the game. But Ostheer doesn't have any units that pack a punch till tier 3.

Should I go for a bunch of 222s? I'm always wary of getting more than one 222 cuz the micro tax on them is just not worth it, unless I'm facing Brits. And even if you cutoff an allied player, they can still get out their light tanks reasonably quickly. The question is how do I keep the allied player pinned in his base? I won't be able to grab all of his territory, so he might have a secret fuel cache I don't know about, and out of the blue he somehow scrapes out the fuel for a stuart and wrecks all my 222s. Other than the risk of overspending on light vehicles, I would like to get 222s but the risk is too high. And the 222 has poor mobility for a "car." The panzer elite armored car is the same thing yet much more nimble. The 222 can't brake fast enough, doesn't turn as fast and the PE armored car, cannot accelerate much faster from light tanks and therefore can be easily chased by light tanks (which is ridiculous since it's just a lightly armored car ffs.) I'm not asking the 222 to have the great anti-inf capabilities of the PE armored car, but maybe its speed and maneuver should get a buff (or at least buffed behind veterancy.)

Currently, Ostheer doesn't have any shock units that can capitalize on early victorious battles. Half the time, I'm unable to contain the opponent and he is able to break out of his base. I even invest in mg bunkers against his cutoff but it doesn't always work. I get such a bad feeling that I can't punish or capitalize off my opponents mistakes very well as Ostheer but if my mg wan't set up in time/facing wrong way/ riflemen crawled into nade range, pak misses at close range/ hits terrain instead of tank, all those can be gg for Ostheer. Whereas losing a rifle, cons squad is no biggie.
16 Jul 2016, 18:46 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

This is quite the opposite of what Ostheer typically does: winning in a few minutes. But I some scenarios, I was able to get my opponents entire force to retreat, then I cap his cutoff and guard it with a mg. Of course to prevent counterharassment, the rest of my force is near my own resources. Now my opponent is desperately fighting to get his cutoff back in the first few minutes. If the roles were reversed, this situation would be gg for Ostheer as you'd expect a quick stuart/t70/aec to wreck you soon and knowing that your fuel starved, he can probably get two light tanks to end the game. But Ostheer doesn't have any units that pack a punch till tier 3.

Should I go for a bunch of 222s? I'm always wary of getting more than one 222 cuz the micro tax on them is just not worth it, unless I'm facing Brits. And even if you cutoff an allied player, they can still get out their light tanks reasonably quickly. The question is how do I keep the allied player pinned in his base? I won't be able to grab all of his territory, so he might have a secret fuel cache I don't know about, and out of the blue he somehow scrapes out the fuel for a stuart and wrecks all my 222s. Other than the risk of overspending on light vehicles, I would like to get 222s but the risk is too high. And the 222 has poor mobility for a "car." The panzer elite armored car is the same thing yet much more nimble. The 222 can't brake fast enough, doesn't turn as fast and the PE armored car, cannot accelerate much faster from light tanks and therefore can be easily chased by light tanks (which is ridiculous since it's just a lightly armored car ffs.) I'm not asking the 222 to have the great anti-inf capabilities of the PE armored car, but maybe its speed and maneuver should get a buff (or at least buffed behind veterancy.)

Currently, Ostheer doesn't have any shock units that can capitalize on early victorious battles. Half the time, I'm unable to contain the opponent and he is able to break out of his base. I even invest in mg bunkers against his cutoff but it doesn't always work. I get such a bad feeling that I can't punish or capitalize off my opponents mistakes very well as Ostheer but if my mg wan't set up in time/facing wrong way/ riflemen crawled into nade range, pak misses at close range/ hits terrain instead of tank, all those can be gg for Ostheer. Whereas losing a rifle, cons squad is no biggie.

In short, you don't. That's really not how Ostheer is designed. Locking down your opponent early game like that is only going to happen if they make a grave mistake or you are just significantly better than them. What you want to do is dig into some good green cover positions and just hold them out, wait for your own vehicles. You aren't going to beat them solely with infantry unless you kill whatever light vehicle they have immediately. If you want to be able to be super aggressive in the early game you should play another faction.

If you want an alternative to the 222, the flame-ht is amazing now. If you see brits go for bofors get a flame-ht and it's gg, just rush his base and wipe everything on retreat.
16 Jul 2016, 19:38 PM

FlameHTs they just roflstomp everything, just watch out for mines and you are golden.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight