Login

russian armor

Broken Sdkfz 250 Halftrack Spec/Gloss Maps?

12 Jul 2016, 04:26 AM

Hi,

I've almost finished a Ostheer skin set I've been working on, but I've got a technical problem with at least one unit before I can complete it.

The default Specular and/or Gloss maps for the Sdkfz 250 Halftrack appear to be broken. If I submit only the Diffuse as an input, the vehicle is always way too light in colour compared to the rest of my vehicles. For the rest of the vehicles, the modding tool appears to create a suitable vanilla output file without me doing anything.

If I try and save each input file manually from the respective layer groups in the provided PSD file (disabling only snow layers), the lighting over the whole vehicle just goes crazy, varying between reasonable and very dark, depending on which way it is facing, with certain patches being inverted.

Note: I actually have these massive lighting failures for any spec/gloss/norm manual input files with any vehicle, so I'm limited to modding only Diffuse textures unless someone can offer some guidance. I would love to have fun with normal file bump mapping in future.

Has anyone else modded skins for Ostheer and encountered/found a way around this problem?

Edit:
Possibly related is a problem I've noticed with the normal halftrack as well. When the light vehicle class is modded (even when it was only one unrelated vehicle) the canvas on the halftrack doesn't change accordingly when I upgrade to the flamethrower.

Before upgrade (correct):

After upgrade (broken):

What it should look like:

A mod that only changes the 222, and yet still breaks the half-track canvas:

Thanks
15 Jul 2016, 15:58 PM

Hello. What I think is happening is that the game has a few different, random "appearances" for the upgraded SdKfz 251. I did a quick test with Janne's cheatmod and spawned 15 halftracks, upgraded them to flame, and 2 out the 15 had the covering all the way. The rest looked like what you've described as "broken".

It appears there's no reason or requirement why sometimes it spawns fully covered or not.

Similarly, the SdKfz 222/221 will spawn with a random look as well. Sometimes they will have a rolled up canvas with a chest on the front end, sometimes nothing, sometimes rolled up canvas on rear only, etc..

As far as your lighting question, I believe your problem is your burn settings if you are saving _nrm, _gls, and _spc separately. I personally don't export all those because the file size of the skin pack starts to get really large. I just try to adjust the _dif's coloring, lightness, etc. to compensate. I can send you my burn settings if you want to see if that works for you.
16 Jul 2016, 01:52 AM

Hello. What I think is happening is that the game has a few different, random "appearances" for the upgraded SdKfz 251.

As far as your lighting question, I believe your problem is your burn settings if you are saving _nrm, _gls, and _spc separately.

Huh. Interesting catch on the randomness. Odd that it's happened every time for me, but I'll try some more tests on my end.

As for the lighting, I only tried including the nrm/spc/gls files because I was experiencing the same issue as this: https://www.coh2.org/topic/37265/skin-mod-gloss-question/page/1#post_id554377

I meant to include screenshots, but didn't get around to it, sorry.

Several vehicles are probably too light, but the Sdkfz 250 is the most noticeable. What should be pure black is nothing like it. It just seems to be a mistake with the default files the mod maker uses (my best guess is that it's using the much lighter snow-based textures on some vehicles instead of summer textures).

So for that reason I tried using textures from the PSD files, but that sends the lighting on pretty much all the vehicles completely crazy. It's most noticeable on low-angle lighting maps like Crossing in the Woods when you turn the vehicle around. After some research last night, it's possible I need to disable 'flip' for the nrm/gls/spc burn settings.

If you have successfully burned nrm/gls/spc files, I'd definitely love to see your settings.
16 Jul 2016, 15:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2016, 01:52 AMCyanara

Huh. Interesting catch on the randomness. Odd that it's happened every time for me, but I'll try some more tests on my end.

As for the lighting, I only tried including the nrm/spc/gls files because I was experiencing the same issue as this: https://www.coh2.org/topic/37265/skin-mod-gloss-question/page/1#post_id554377

I meant to include screenshots, but didn't get around to it, sorry.

Several vehicles are probably too light, but the Sdkfz 250 is the most noticeable. What should be pure black is nothing like it. It just seems to be a mistake with the default files the mod maker uses (my best guess is that it's using the much lighter snow-based textures on some vehicles instead of summer textures).

So for that reason I tried using textures from the PSD files, but that sends the lighting on pretty much all the vehicles completely crazy. It's most noticeable on low-angle lighting maps like Crossing in the Woods when you turn the vehicle around. After some research last night, it's possible I need to disable 'flip' for the nrm/gls/spc burn settings.

If you have successfully burned nrm/gls/spc files, I'd definitely love to see your settings.

Try these burn settings. There are two you need to have.
http://imgur.com/a/ll45J

I believe Eliwood provided these to me awhile ago. Let me know if that solves your lighting issue.

17 Jul 2016, 02:14 AM

Try these burn settings. There are two you need to have.
http://imgur.com/a/ll45J

I believe Eliwood provided these to me awhile ago. Let me know if that solves your lighting issue.

Hmm, the only difference I can see between those and the defaults is that texture sharpening is enabled for mipmaps. While that's probably a good thing to enable, it's very unlikely to have anything to do with lighting.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 63
unknown 14
unknown 10

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak