Login

russian armor

Asking for pointers

3 Jun 2016, 16:29 PM

I have been playing less and less recently. Was wondering if someone could give me some tips, at least in this particular situation.
My thoughts so far:
- in retrospect, i should have sent my sturms to the left and capped there, but alot of people told me that sturms should be used aggressively at the start, thats why i sent them to mid.
- skip the kubel next time? I was planning on using it for armour bait, but i underestimated how fast my opponent would get armour out, especially with zooks and nades upgrades
- should have brought the mg34 HWT alot sooner. I'm not sure why i waited so long
- near the end i tried to spawn fallschirmjäger at the same house my mg34 was in - didnt know it doesnt work on occupied buildings

My micro definitely needs work, but I am wondering if there are any obviously wrong moves I made in this game. I just couldnt keep up with map control. It felt like my opponent had a good spread of forces and yet a formidable blob at all times, i was constantly questioning the positioning/spread of my units.

Thanks in advance

4 Jun 2016, 02:34 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

moved to replay review:

You always want your strategy threads with a replay in it in replay reviews. Because it is the best forum ever. And The faction sub forums are more for build order suggestions/sharing, n shjt like that :-)
4 Jun 2016, 03:10 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Will review in the morning.
4 Jun 2016, 22:46 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Your biggest problem is not focusing on a fuel and floating. A kubel is not a great choice on this map, but whatever, once you have it you need to take your fuel. You let your opponent just push you off the field without holding anything important, and he was taking triple your fuel income for the majority of the game. Most of the reason for that is you kept floating so much manpower. 700 manpower float at 7 mins is pretty much gg, you can't hold any map presence in the early game with that high of a unit deficit. You could have had 2 whole sturmpios ffs. That's why he had so much more units than you, and that's why you held none of the map the whole game.

Flak halftrack is a bad choice in general, but it's awful on La Gleiz. Too easy to flank it. Better to save the fuel for a faster t4. So it's midgame now and you still haven't picked a doctrine, and you are still floating, and you don't have t4 out yet because of lack of fuel. At this point you should be picking luftwaffe or scavenge and bringing in some call in infantry. You were behind in map presence and unit count, and you know the opponent is making rangers, so go ahead and bolster your troops. By the time you had the fuel saved up to build t4 and make obers you were already floating 1000 manpower at 16 mins and had no field presence. There is basically no way to come back from that, and you only stayed in the game as long as you did because your opponent was a moron.

Random tips:
- Work on your unit micro and retreat sooner; you got really lucky multiple times retreating nearly dead squads with a sliver of health and not getting wiped
- Focus on holding atleast one fuel and munitions point
- Don't blob so much, spread out and use cover better. It's more efficient.
- Keep an eye on your resources to make sure you don;t float too much. If you aren't saving manpower for something anything over 500 is too much. Especially in the early game where your infantry engagements are most important.
- Kubel is not good on building heavy maps, flak halftrack is just always bad versus usf.
6 Jun 2016, 13:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2016, 22:46 PMTobis
Your biggest problem is not focusing on a fuel and floating. A kubel is not a great choice on this map, but whatever, once you have it you need to take your fuel. You let your opponent just push you off the field without holding anything important, and he was taking triple your fuel income for the majority of the game. Most of the reason for that is you kept floating so much manpower. 700 manpower float at 7 mins is pretty much gg, you can't hold any map presence in the early game with that high of a unit deficit. You could have had 2 whole sturmpios ffs. That's why he had so much more units than you, and that's why you held none of the map the whole game.

Flak halftrack is a bad choice in general, but it's awful on La Gleiz. Too easy to flank it. Better to save the fuel for a faster t4. So it's midgame now and you still haven't picked a doctrine, and you are still floating, and you don't have t4 out yet because of lack of fuel. At this point you should be picking luftwaffe or scavenge and bringing in some call in infantry. You were behind in map presence and unit count, and you know the opponent is making rangers, so go ahead and bolster your troops. By the time you had the fuel saved up to build t4 and make obers you were already floating 1000 manpower at 16 mins and had no field presence. There is basically no way to come back from that, and you only stayed in the game as long as you did because your opponent was a moron.

Random tips:
- Work on your unit micro and retreat sooner; you got really lucky multiple times retreating nearly dead squads with a sliver of health and not getting wiped
- Focus on holding atleast one fuel and munitions point
- Don't blob so much, spread out and use cover better. It's more efficient.
- Keep an eye on your resources to make sure you don;t float too much. If you aren't saving manpower for something anything over 500 is too much. Especially in the early game where your infantry engagements are most important.
- Kubel is not good on building heavy maps, flak halftrack is just always bad versus usf.

Thanks for watching.

I was floating cause I'm not use being squeezed for fuel. I usually start loosing alot later when I have more units to micro; I was expecting myself to tech sooner. I wasnt sure if buying more grens was a good idea, otherwise i didnt know what else to buy in early tiers. I really needed good infantry-based anti-infantry. I couldn't get the Obers out in time. I also wanted supression to deal with the inf blob, thats why i got the flak-track. Its just kinda annoying to have pick a doc just to deal with a zook rifle blob.

What should I have spent my req on early in the game? Should I have just gone for some jaegers?

Thanks again.
6 Jun 2016, 14:45 PM

Thanks for watching.

I was floating cause I'm not use being squeezed for fuel. I usually start loosing alot later when I have more units to micro; I was expecting myself to tech sooner. I wasnt sure if buying more grens was a good idea, otherwise i didnt know what else to buy in early tiers. I really needed good infantry-based anti-infantry. I couldn't get the Obers out in time. I also wanted supression to deal with the inf blob, thats why i got the flak-track. Its just kinda annoying to have pick a doc just to deal with a zook rifle blob.

What should I have spent my req on early in the game? Should I have just gone for some jaegers?

Thanks again.

do you use groups (Ctrl+#) with your infantry? it's something i see a lot of players that come from other RTS games do but it leads to blobbing big time. if you do, getting used to using Tab to cycle through squads and give them independent move orders (usually directional in cover) helps keep guys spread out without too much of a micro tax.

and yeah, you want to use sturms aggressively, but you have to be careful and support them where you can. old kubel was great for this... sturm + kubel (with suppression) was pretty deadly. because you're on la gleize, you could have tried a double sturm build out of the gate and used the buildings to keep the engagements at close range.

against USF, volks vs rifles early game is a toss up, so you want as many 2 (or 3) on 1s as possible.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★