Login

russian armor

[2v2] How to deal with this playstyle?

18 May 2016, 03:55 AM

Title said it all. I was playing as Ost and my enemies was a team (thanks leaderboards page). Things started to get worse when the Brit built Mortar and Bofors to defend it, thus making me and my random teammate struggle on wiping it out. After like 30 mins the nightmare slowly came in.

Can anyone pinpoint where did I screw up and how to avoid it?

Thank you.
19 May 2016, 17:13 PM
Donator 11

Lemme have a look.
19 May 2016, 19:08 PM
Donator 11

So, start looks solid, normal stuff there, but then both of you decide not to build any counters, or use existing units as intended.

There's a lot of general gameplay mistakes happening, i'll try to adress some highlights that happen repeatedly.

Don't use attack move on mortars before they're in range, especially not on two together.
You do this all game long, and you end up fully retreating, and they end up sitting in your base for most of the time.

Apropo bunching up: all of your AT forces are around OKWs T3, besides no threat to it on the field.
This isn't just bad, it's really bad. But why?

Right, those Stuarts are still roaming around - not like they could kill the T3 anyways.
You want those AT guns on the field to cover your infantry. You build 2x Pak40, good, but they're basically just sitting around somewhere on the map, not covering or doing anything.

Tank scouting, without backup. Not the greatest idea, as you probably noticed shortly after.
You also do this several times with other Panthers, and even your Tiger. Use Pios with sweeper for scouting, or even any infantry, not your priciest unit on the field.
If you want to commit, then i.e. drive around somewhere and trade with the Priests, hopefully doing more economical damage than you suffer.

So, how and why did you lose this game?
  • You picked a Tiger doctrine, but instantly teched to Panthers as your first vehicle, single 222 aside. Panthers are tank destroyers, not all around units. Your doctrine gives you the benefit of going for something early, like some P4 or Stug, and still having something way heavier later on.
  • Besides, there was basically no armor on the field to begin with, and your mate had T3 out. So instead you stall for Panthers, which won't help you, while losing units left and right, as well as your window for medium tank agression towards the emplacements.
  • You picked the perfect doctrine to counter emplacements, but didn't call in a single mortar HT the whole game.
  • Both of you never bothered to burst down the emplacements, hard engage them, or build any other heavier indirect fire. Instead i see a squad or two running towards them, and running back shortly after.
  • There wasn't a single attempt of going around to get some Priests down.
  • At one point you had a Tiger, 2x Pak40, one Pio squad, and you keep building PGrens and upgrade them with Schrecks, basically not having any AI unit on the field besides the Tiger.
  • All game long: both of you focused heavily on getting heavier armor out, and countering armor, rebuild it over and over, even though there's no point in doing so.

Stuff you should have done instead:
  • Spread out mortars with your buddies ISG, and barrage their emplacements to death
  • Get the mortar HT out
  • seriously, get the mortar HT out
  • Don't fast tech to Panthers, they're not the answer to everything, and you already had good AT on the field
  • instead get fast infantry superiority, and capture all around those emplacements - not like he can follow you.
  • veto open maps like Vaux as Axis :snfPeter:
  • Don't play a game of attrition vs. emplacement / indirect heavy enemies. You will lose, slowly, and painfully. At one point you have to commit.

and your enemy was like...

19 May 2016, 19:30 PM

On a side note, consider adding a commander with LeFH to your loadout. Personally I added Mechanized to my 2v2 loadout for Brits that go super heavy on emplacements. Though Mortar HT works good as a fast counter to emplacements (make sure to use the Incendiary Barrage). Its all about keeping constant pressure and not letting the Brit repair

You can see a good replay of LeFH wrecking Emplacement heavy Brits here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6YVJ_DonAo
19 May 2016, 20:10 PM

Noted all of those errors. Thanks

About the attack move on mortar teams. I used the barrage ability (unless I misread it), thus clump them up together. I tried to bust down the Emplacement with mortar team (since I'm not having good memories with them) and .... yeah it didn't end well.

About the Pak, when and where should I put them for ... being a decent unit? (as in defending infantry from tanks and stuff).

About the Priest, I admitted that I didn't try to kill any of it for the whole game, that's my critical error (among many other in the whole game).

I will consider using Mechanized doctrine later on, just need to know where and when to use LeFH gun instead of blindly build it.
19 May 2016, 20:32 PM
Donator 11

Goes for both attack modes. Btw.: just 2 mortars vs. 2 emplacement doesn't cut it anyways.

I.e. middle, in a crossfire angle, to bait a Stuart into it. Or keep them a little in the back when you engage somewhere. Or you could have taken south side, and attack ground on bofors / mortars (or scout with Pios). Etc, etc.
Having 4 / 4 ATs guns around OKWs T3 with only Stuarts around is pointless.

LeFH can be nice, but depending on situation it might do you more harm than good. Be careful with that.

You've seen emplacement spam and two Stuarts, which cost a lot of fuel, so there won't be any medium tanks around for some time - your window of opportunity. Then move your stuff together step by step, not one by one.
22 May 2016, 20:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2016, 19:08 PMkamk

and your enemy was like...

I've played with TheWalt when he's done that. I didn't watch the replay but think I know how it went. You played too passively and let it turn into a war of attrition. He has no suppression so infantry can run rampant (unless Rocket had bofors nearby), his starting infantry is mostly RE's that upgrade to bazookas so you should've been able to take advantage of that.
22 May 2016, 20:54 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Very well presented analysis, Kamk. Thank you.:)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★