Login

russian armor

(Auto) vaulting

12 Jul 2013, 23:47 PM

Can someone tell me why most people accept the logic of auto vaulting? Noone seems to mind. It's like summer games and CoH combined to me. My favourite vaulting moments is where retreating units absolutely need to run the furthest way possible through fire and hell along little fences to get safe back home.

I feel Relic made many sacrifices to make the game more realistic then vCoH, but this really makes no sense to me. Why spend time microing jumping over stuff. Would it be so bad to auto vault?
13 Jul 2013, 00:41 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Often RTS games do things like this to make APM more important. For example, Starcraft II used to force players to select their workers at a base if they wanted to easily count how many were mining minerals. To do this for all of your expansions in a short amount of time while you were busy doing other stuff was difficult - you needed good APM to pull it off. (They later changed it so that this is no longer required - each base now has a counter showing how many workers are mining.) Starcraft II also does this in a thousand other ways - injects, chronoboosts, and MULE drops are things that make the macro more APM intensive, for instance. These sorts of things make players with more APM better at the game than players with less APM, which raises the skill ceiling. So some people think this is good because it allows players with more APM to beat their opponents more often, which means the game rewards more skillful play.

Of course, one of the best parts of the original CoH was how low the APM requirement was for skilled players, so basically I think Relic fucked up by forcing us to click on stuff in order to make our units vault. I also think the whole "freeze to death" mechanic is dumb because fires are so plentiful that it's just an APM tax during blizzards - good players micro their units near fires when they're going to freeze, bad players lose soldiers, but aside from that it doesn't add a lot to the game. So yes, I agree with you, but I guess if someone were trying to justify Relic's decision they would say that this game is a little more like Starcraft II compared to vCoH when it comes to whether APM should matter.
13 Jul 2013, 01:28 AM

Vaulting doesn't add any APM and requiers no skills.
You just need to know the map and when to vault.

Auto vaulting would be a really bad feature as you will actually need to micro A LOT MORE - so all your squads won't have to vault the same wall at the same exact time.

Some will say that if you can vault during an action, if your squad retreat they should use the same path (so auto vault the wall while retreating).
This would be an even more retarted idea as it will bring the retreat APM actions to zero.
13 Jul 2013, 01:32 AM

I'm kinda on the fence about this. I really like manual mechanics like this because it adds another depth for the faster and better players to get an advantage over their opponent, but on the other hand it doesn't make much sense that they can't do it while retreating..
13 Jul 2013, 01:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jul 2013, 01:28 AMPepsi

What? It adds a mouse click, that increases APM requirements.
13 Jul 2013, 02:07 AM

auto vaulting on retreat would be fine. just not under normal movement.

oh and tycho, the blizzard also forces timing and positioning. it allows for some crazy fights with the limited los and movement allowed before freezing. freezing slows movement and attack speed/reloading.
13 Jul 2013, 04:04 AM

Pretty sure vaulting was primarily added to the game for one of those "new" things and marketing it. I really doubt APM and skill caps was even a consideration, so I think you may be reading too much into that. ntm... injects, chrono boosts, and mule drops are way more in depth abilities... inject/transfuse/creep, chrono any building for unit or upgrading, scan/supply drop/MULE and all the ways which decision you make impacts much more than just an apm requirement of economy control. So I do not think that is the greatest example to compare to clicking on a fence with one squad selected. :P

APM of auto-vaulting would be a mixed bag anyway. Consider if you wanted to flank an mg, but just giving a move order to the side of the mg meant your unit vaulted a fence and ran strait into its cone of fire. In order to avoid that, it would require shift clicking to take a route around which would otherwise have been accomplished with one move command if the route would have naturally taken that squad the way you wanted it to go.

Another thing to consider is that routes that are technically shorter by vaulting may not actually be faster anyway considering the slower movement in heavy snow mechanic, which, correct me if I may be wrong, typically gathers in these locations anyway, from what I remember.

As I said though, they probably just want you to think of how cool they were for putting such an awesome new thing their game every time you click on a fence. lol :rolleyes:
13 Jul 2013, 08:30 AM

I can see my retreating squad spending time vaulting that fence and dying instead of just gtfo of enemy range :/
Sometimes it can be good, other times not so good.
13 Jul 2013, 21:10 PM

I'm kinda on the fence about this.

I am fine with the way they did it, if it is in retreat they would die.
13 Jul 2013, 21:15 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Retreating units should just knock down fences.

13 Jul 2013, 23:15 PM

If a unit is retreating it should just automatically jump the fence. Otherwise, manual.
16 Jul 2013, 23:25 PM

This vaulting discussion reminds me of Doom where you just couldn't jump over even the smallest obstacles. Imagine the long awaited sequel Doom II and you had to press "e" to jump the obstacle.

AND why would you not want to move your units the shortest path possible - thats what you want most of the time - and if you wouldn't then shift click a different path. Using APMs on vaulting takes away time spent on fighting.
16 Jul 2013, 23:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jul 2013, 01:28 AMPepsi

Auto vaulting would be a really bad feature as you will actually need to micro A LOT MORE - so all your squads won't have to vault the same wall at the same exact time.

It requires no skill - however it it does add APM. And your units would not vault the same place no more than units already does now when you do it manually.
16 Jul 2013, 23:48 PM

I can imagine it would be quite annoying if you were to move a mg/pak with a unit of infantry and each took a completely different path to get to the destination.

I don't mind having the path that everything can take as the default path.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★