Login

russian armor

Dawn of War to CoH

5 May 2016, 18:02 PM

Australian magic, I'm guessing you also dislike Star Wars.

Why would I? Half of my room is covered by SW things. But it's a bit different thing. High-end technology saber is not the same like metal sword in a futuristic word. You gonna jump out with things like vibroblade from SW. Sure, it's a metal sword but only idiot would spent time and resources to equip army with vibroblades vs laser guns. It would be like running with a slingshot vs dug down machine guns.
Still, you won't find anyone using vibroblade vs guns.

I'm guessing you don't have much truck with fantasy gaming, then.

Opposite.
Ive spent countless hours with Warlords Battlecry III - pure fantasy RTS.
If we are not talking about RTS then probably I could mention dozens fantasy games I have played.

Im just avoiding games that looks stupid, have ridiculous theme etc.
5 May 2016, 18:20 PM

Well I am glad to hear you like Star Wars. : )

But seriously man you gotta learn more about 40k. The swords aren't like metal objects from the Middle Ages, they're technologically advanced weapons designed for the setting,like light sabers.
5 May 2016, 18:29 PM

Opposite.
Ive spent countless hours with - pure fantasy RTS.
If we are not talking about RTS then probably I could mention dozens fantasy games I have played.

Im just avoiding games that looks stupid, have ridiculous theme etc.

Fair enough; I was thinking of all those games that have ludicrous armour and weapons. That falls into the "look stupid" category for me the same way DoW does. I actually think DoW is at the low end of the spectrum here.

Just a remark on swords; they're there, but not really at the levels of whole units, let alone armies. usually they are officer weapons, which is not entirely unreasonable as if an officer is fighting personally things must already be at close quarters. Other than that they are in the hands of elite shock units who seek to close suddenly and engage the enemy corps-a-corps, thus negating their ranged weapons. It's not quite as daft as it may appear.

And frankly, there have often been times in Counter-Strike when I've wished for a sword.
5 May 2016, 19:58 PM
Donator 33

Why would I? Half of my room is covered by SW things. But it's a bit different thing. High-end technology saber is not the same like metal sword in a futuristic word. You gonna jump out with things like vibroblade from SW. Sure, it's a metal sword but only idiot would spent time and resources to equip army with vibroblades vs laser guns. It would be like running with a slingshot vs dug down machine guns.
Still, you won't find anyone using vibroblade vs guns.

That's actually exactly the same in in WH40k. The swords and axes you see aren't simple metal swords but either Power Swords/Axes or Chainswords/axes, or my personal favorite, Lightning Claws. Their super hightech swords with Power weapons being designed to cut through heavy armor like a knife through butter and with Chain weapons designed to brutalize the enemy. They are vibroblade equivalents.

Typically, melee combatants equipped with these weapons normally have a way to close the distance between them and their targets quickly or wear extremely heavy armor, or both. Assault Marines normally are equipped with Chainswords and a Bolter Pistol along with Space Marine armor and jump packs, they can easily close the distance between them and their target and cut them to shreds. The even heavier version of Assault Marines, Assault Terminator Marines, are equipped with harder hitting Thunderhammers and Shields, the even stronger Terminator armor, and teleporter packs.

We're talking about multi-ton monstrousities just landing into the middle densely packed laser gun formations wrecking havoc because of their superior melee weapons and armor. Your regular rank-and-file human, the typical Guardsman, would never dream of doing that. He'll hid behind a nice piece of cover taking potshots with his lasgun and hope the Commissar doesn't decide to make an example of him.
5 May 2016, 20:38 PM

Your regular rank-and-file human, the typical Guardsman, would never dream of doing that. He'll hid behind a nice piece of cover taking potshots with his lasgun and hope the Commissar doesn't decide to make an example of him.

Unless they get sick and tired of holding the line with something menacing to support them...
5 May 2016, 20:41 PM

Because people are having problems with swords, here are some guns:

5 May 2016, 20:46 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Unless they get sick and tired of holding the line with something menacing to support them...

BEEEEEIIIINBLAAAAADE!!!

5 May 2016, 20:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2016, 20:46 PMVuther

BEEEEEIIIINBLAAAAADE!!!

lol,I was just about to post that too.
5 May 2016, 20:50 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

lol,I was just about to post that too.

We stand together, brother.
5 May 2016, 20:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2016, 20:50 PMVuther

We stand together, brother.
6 May 2016, 04:50 AM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post5 May 2016, 11:40 AMRMMLz

Not quite. They are simply different. Simply because they are RTS games made by the same company does not mean they should be the same. We give Relic hell (and they deserve some of it) but you can't argue that they have bright designers and they can come up with new game play ideas. Unless they decide to listen to Sega and mess with the game and sell factions as DLC (Chaos is a pre-order DLC in CA's Warhammer: Total War wich is ludicrous).

thematically yes, they're quite different. mechanically, coh, coh2, and dow2 are quite similar.

knockback and melee, and to some extent stuns, are also thematically appropriate to WWII, just slightly differently from 40k, and would add depth to the game.
6 May 2016, 10:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 May 2016, 21:44 PMSwift

Because you probably have no context of the world of 40k. I think I'm going to end up sitting on this thread defending Warhammer. Plus, watch DoW II casts, they're far more informative of the way the game works.

All in favor of summarizing the lore for the .ORG community? I'm totally up for it.

-The Emperor guides my blade pen keyboard.
6 May 2016, 11:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2016, 10:59 AMRMMLz

All in favor of summarizing the lore for the .ORG community? I'm totally up for it.

-The Emperor guides my blade pen keyboard.
Dibs on the Imperial Guard.
6 May 2016, 11:53 AM

Dibs on the Imperial Guard.

"Men, we are the first, last and often only line of defence the Imperium has against what is out there. You and that fine piece of Imperial weaponry you hold in your hands is all that is keeping humanity alive. Most of you will probably not live to see your second year in the Guard and most of you will probably never see your homeworlds again, but I can guarantee you that when you do fall, with a prayer to the most high and mighty God-Emperor on your lips, you will have earned the right to call yourself a man!"
— Staff Sergeant Vermak, 12th Cadian Shock Regiment

Long live Cadia Prime.

Maybe there is something wrong with me but this game looks so stupid and ridiculous. Armor taken out of the moon - completly stupid design of them. Especially the shoulderguards on the trailer.
Units look in a way that I'd rather laugh instead of zooming and watching every detail.
Swords vs machine guns.

For me, this game looks like it's made for some freaks.

Well, that " stupid and ridiculous" will turn to a sense of pride and fandom if you know the back story, and it depends on your personal taste as you said. But again, that universe is Epic, like the work of Tolkien. Things like Hobbits and wizard with 2 meters of beard are also stupid, but watch the movies of read the books and they become epic.

Oh, and about the melee and swords, they are not simply swords. They are called "Power Weapons" and they are technologically advanced.

A power fist

Not only that, but there is another concept in this universe called "The Machine Spirit". Basically, all pieces of machinery have "Spirits" which can help mankind, or oppose it. So judge not a weapon by its look.
6 May 2016, 15:23 PM

Alright my turn.

THE WARP

The warp is another dimension that is strongly linked to the material realm, effectively everything that happens in the material realm is echoed inside this would-be void, where no matter exists. It is made up of the psychic footprint of everything in the material universe and consists of raw emotion as everything, living or not, has at least a tiny soul. And because of this it is home to the Chaos Daemons.

It looks something like this:

Without the warp, nothing would be possible. The Imperium is so vast, spanning the whole galaxy, that the warp is necessary for travel, psychic communication via Astropaths (human warp vessels) and defence. Yet the warp is also the realm of Chaos, where all the negative emotion and psychic feedback coalesces into the form of four great powers of Chaos, and when a psyker becomes active in the material world, it creates a possible gateway for daemons to emerge from and tear into the real world.

Warp travel:

By using warp engines, Imperial ships can make faster-than-light jumps through space, and so the galaxy can be crossed in a matter of months. However, doing so unprotected would mean the ship would be devoured instantly, sucked into the warp, becoming possessed and soon floating back out as hulk, infested with daemonic corruption. So Imperial ships travel through the warp with Gellar fields to shield themselves from these forces.

The warp is probably the most dangerous aspect of human existence, as constantly new psykers are born who have no training or shielding, and are easily tempted by the voices in their head to embrace their power and unleash a daemonic horde. So the Inquisition conducts an operation to round up these psykers and... dispose of them, depending on their strength.

Instead of magic, 40k has psychic power. This is directly harnessed warp energy that when controlled and wielded by a strong mind can bring devastation or provide foresight. Ork psykers manifest power in destructive, clumsy ways that increase in volume the more Orks are around. Although everything has a soul, all Eldar (excluding Dark Eldar) are vaguely psychic, often represented by a telepathy in family or close kin, and Eldar make the best telepaths and diviners. Humans are said to be the most powerful psykers of any species when trained properly, which takes time and effort and rarely amounts to many succeeding, but when they do they become capable of manifesting almost anything. Other species like Tau have little knowledge of the warp and barely register, whereas the Necrons despise the warp, waging war against it whenever possible.

And then you have the four Chaos Gods who live in the warp, who only exist because they are made up of the emotional discharge. Ironically Chaos needs the continuation of mankind and others in order to keep existing, as without the psychic feedback they would simply dissipate. There are also other aspects such as the Old Ones, who first opened the realm of Chaos to fight the C'Tan, and the Eye of Terror, btu I've rambled enough.

I can't believe I bothered writing this.
6 May 2016, 21:03 PM

Here's my favorite guys from the Imperial Guard or Astra Militarum to those who want to be fancy.

The Death Korps of Krieg

These people hail from the deathworld of Krieg, a planet destroyed by nuclear fire. Shamed by the civil war which turned away from the Emperor's light, they vow to dedicate their lives since there is nothing left from the remains of their world.

Using the tactics their ancestors used in the Krieg Civil War. The regiments of the Death Korps specialize in trench warfare, sieges, and attrition battles.

Their zealotry knows no bounds as they charge in droves by the command of their officers, often dying to never concede an inch of ground. This reputation for their ranks has changed the priorities of the commissars attached to their regiments. Rather than shooting those from the Death Korps, they become the voice of reason to prevent additional losses on the battlefields of the galaxy.

One of their most notable operations was the Siege of Verdun Vraks, a fortress city whose population had became heretics. For eleven years, the Death Korps fought through trenches, craters, and pillboxes in order to defeat their foe and so they did.

Waves of grenadiers charged forth to clear the lines with the transports of guardsmen moving across the fields of no man's land. On the flanks, the infamous Death Riders probe any points of weakness to the enemy's defensive line. Down below, engineers and sappers fight in close quarter battles with shotguns and acid grenades.

Their cold and hard attitude is brought to them by the grim world they live on and they hope to that one day, they die to cleanse the sins of their fathers.

"In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."
- Final litany of the Litany of Sacrifice, recited by Krieg Korpsmen when entering battle.

Swiftsabre, you are not the only one.
8 May 2016, 10:01 AM
8 May 2016, 12:36 PM

I just hope the Death Korps of Krieg are included in Dawn of War as part of a skin for the Imperial Guard faction. Just like they did for Dawn of War II.
9 May 2016, 06:05 AM

I just hope the Death Korps of Krieg are included in Dawn of War as part of a skin for the Imperial Guard faction. Just like they did for Dawn of War II.

They will probably put them behind pay wall. Actually WH40K universe has A LOT OF potential for half ass DLC policies. Th whole Chaos faction of CA's WH:TW is a pre-order DLC.
9 May 2016, 07:58 AM

@Australian Magic

Here's the answer to your melee queries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep8zPCfMB1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HET6FRZVi14
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 35
Peru 16
United Kingdom 43
unknown 4
United States 1