Login

russian armor

Installing the War Spoils Beta Faster

4 May 2016, 02:35 AM

Note: If you are considering the War Spoils beta, it apparently also lets you Automatch with the new balance preview changes! Sign ups are here if they still work: http://companyofheroes.teasersites.com/

I saw in the Shoutbox that the War Spoils Beta is 28GB to download. This isn't surprising, as it would be a separate copy of the normal game with minor changes.

If your Internet connect is ADSL2+ quality or less (or has low data limits), you probably don't want to have to download 28GB from scratch. However, you should be able to skip most of that.

Locate your Game Directory

In Steam, find COH2
Right-click and select Properties
Go to Local Files
Select Browse Local Files

Copy Your Existing Directory

Make a copy of your current COH2 folder in Steam (in the same parent folder) and rename it Company of Heroes 2 - Test Build

Then when you initiate the Beta download, it should search for existing files and find most of them.

Note: This might only work if you haven't already started the download. However, if you have started, you can try copying your COH2 files and skipping straight to verification.

The most reliable way is to select the Delete Local Content option for the beta in Steam and start over. It's up to you whether that is worth it.

Verification

Once the download is complete, I recommend verifying the files to make sure the new ones replaced the old ones.

Right-click on the game in your Steam Library
Select Properties
Select Local Files
Click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache

That shouldn't take long, and you'll be good to go!

Please leave any feedback below.

Edit: Looks like Relic already suggested this themselves: https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/comment/244241#Comment_244241

4 May 2016, 08:43 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Copy Your Existing Directory

Make a copy of your current COH2 folder in Steam (in the same parent folder) and rename it Company of Heroes 2 - Private Test.

Then when you initiate the Beta download, it should search for existing files and find most of them.

Sadly, it does not work by me. And I download only with 500-600 kbs...

I made the "new" folder, but steam still install now 28,8 gb...
4 May 2016, 09:00 AM

Hmm, ok. Can you just check if it has made a different folder in your Steam games directory? A single typo will mean that it won't find the correct folder.

Unfortunately I don't have a key yet, so I can't do it myself to verify everything.
4 May 2016, 09:12 AM

It does work, well at least for me it did. It will download about half of 28.8GB then tell you it's done/
4 May 2016, 09:24 AM

It does work, well at least for me it did. It will download about half of 28.8GB then tell you it's done/

Ok, I had a full stop at the end of the folder name. It's possible you copied that Sturmpanther, which would have stopped Steam recognising it.

4 May 2016, 09:48 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Ok, I had a full stop at the end of the folder name. It's possible you copied that Sturmpanther, which would have stopped Steam recognising it.

And how can I change this fullstop thing?
4 May 2016, 10:29 AM

And how can I change this fullstop thing?

Assuming your folders aren't meant to be in a different language, close Steam and make sure the beta folder name is exactly this:

Company of Heroes 2 - Private Test

Then start Steam again and verify the files if you can.

You may need to completely delete any existing download first though. Sometimes Steam won't look for existing files unless you're starting a clean download. I wouldn't recommend this if you have already downloaded a lot of the beta. Better to just finish it in that case.
4 May 2016, 10:30 AM

works great for me, thanks for the post!
4 May 2016, 14:48 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Assuming your folders aren't meant to be in a different language, close Steam and make sure the beta folder name is exactly this:

Company of Heroes 2 - Private Test

Then start Steam again and verify the files if you can.

You may need to completely delete any existing download first though. Sometimes Steam won't look for existing files unless you're starting a clean download. I wouldn't recommend this if you have already downloaded a lot of the beta. Better to just finish it in that case.

My problem is, i can't verify the files.
About the option: local files is all gray.

I delete the started download. changed the name again. closed steam, logged in again. And still i have to download 28 gb... rgrgrgr why!
5 May 2016, 01:37 AM

My problem is, i can't verify the files.
About the option: local files is all gray.

I delete the started download. changed the name again. closed steam, logged in again. And still i have to download 28 gb... rgrgrgr why!

Ok. I thought being able to verify the files would be unlikely, but Relic's post seemed to suggest it could be done.

When you deleted the download, did you use the Delete Local Content option?
5 May 2016, 09:07 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Ok. I thought being able to verify the files would be unlikely, but Relic's post seemed to suggest it could be done.

When you deleted the download, did you use the Delete Local Content option?

Yes I used it.

Btw my coh2 game is under: steam/steamapps/common
There I copied the files.

But when I start the download, its under: steam/steamapps/download.
Should I copie the coh2-Private-Test files in the download file?

5 May 2016, 10:58 AM

Yes I used it.

Well, I've never had to do that, but you may as well try, I guess!
5 May 2016, 11:13 AM

Yes I used it.

Ok, got my key and just tried it myself. It didn't work, so I checked Relic's instructions again. They changed them. The folder name should now be:

Company of Heroes 2 - Test Build

I used that and it started discovering the files this time. It still says it needs to download 28GB, but the download bar is a third of the way through.
5 May 2016, 16:20 PM

It doesn't work for me. Relic pls.

edit:

Nevermind. I had to pause and start again :blush:.
5 May 2016, 20:54 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Ok, got my key and just tried it myself. It didn't work, so I checked Relic's instructions again. They changed them. The folder name should now be:

Company of Heroes 2 - Test Build

I used that and it started discovering the files this time. It still says it needs to download 28GB, but the download bar is a third of the way through.

Ok did it. And y same. a third of the way I have. But what will happen? It says it need the 28 gb. Will it stopp faster? Did it worked for you?
6 May 2016, 00:28 AM

Ok did it. And y same. a third of the way I have. But what will happen? It says it need the 28 gb. Will it stopp faster? Did it worked for you?

No idea :p I can't risk downloading that much. I don't have enough data on my Internet plan. Oh well. I've done what I can.
6 May 2016, 21:46 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

No idea :p I can't risk downloading that much. I don't have enough data on my Internet plan. Oh well. I've done what I can.

srsly i worked for me as well in begin.

But then my Antiviren program said the coh2 world-builder is a Trojaner. I pressed on ignore started it new, and now this trick does not work anymore for me...
I deleted the download, made new files but still the laodingsscreen is at 0....

seems like i will not play this beta^^
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS