Login

russian armor

Do volks really need stg44?

23 Apr 2016, 10:02 AM

Volks dont need schreck and removing it is a step forward.

Now lets speak about upcomming volks STG44. Before you say something like "we should wait untill balance pre-view", let me remind you that competitive edition already released and you can test things in it.

So Volks stg ... are they needed? I think no.

After playing few 1v1s against my frieds using Competitive Edition, volks STG is feels more like ... g43 for panzergrens in Vannila game.

The thing is that yes STG give you improved AI, but its not enouth to stay against Penals or Rifles or everything else aside cons. All thouse units still will be better then STG volks, volks would be able to kill more models sure, but thats it.

Not to mention that STG gives volks no offensice capabilities. With STG you have to sit behind cover and dont move, because ones you left cover for at least few seconds, you will lose engajement.

Removing schreck, leaving OKW with no inf AT aside from raketen, which is still bad ... even in competitive mod its bad. I have no idea how highter rec.accuracy, removed clock justufy +5 range and fire arc and cost increase ... but thats the different story.

Raketen have its advantages ofcouse like clocking and ability to garrisone buildings, but all this advantages covered by long aim, long reload, inta-wipes and suppresion. So its kinda soft counter to any light and for sure medium tanks.

Now lets speak about teching, both MG34 and STG are locked untill first building. So MG34 in a core building pretty much means nothing. Because you have to rush T1 as OKW, to be able to build MG34, give STG and unlock faust to help rakketen, and ofcouse some inderect fire unit, but this tier makes you almost defensless against any kind of early armor.

OR you have to wait until T2 and play like first 5-6 mins ONLY with volks and pios and possibly go for luft or def doc for an MG42 (since I think you would get 1CP faster then your T2 anyway). And all this to get puma and try to counter enemy light armor.

So in other words StG feels really weak and rather pointless, since they dont give volks any kind of feelable power. Imagine upgrade wich would turn conscripts into penals in case of DPS. Its pretty much the same. It looks cool but have no really use aside from munition wasting.

My suggestions

Remove STG and replace it with x2 Panzerbusche awaible after building T1\T2. With properly balanced Panzerbusche OKW can have old perfomance against light armor and would be more free and less punishing to chose T1 or T2. So they wont rely only on raketen early on.

At the same time Panzerbusche can slightly buff volks AI capabilities, because its AT rifle, but still rifle.

And ofcouse volks wont be so deadly against tanks with Panzerbusche so in late gate they would be more supportive AT unit, rather then main AT unit.

23 Apr 2016, 10:20 AM

I mean not u kun but sometimes people complain about rifles and how volks will be usles now but USF is early mid game with bad late right? So i guess OKW will be ok with maybe not the best early AT but still with very strong late. I have the impression and maybe its just me but OKW currently looks strong in any stage of game. i hope this patch will change that
23 Apr 2016, 10:35 AM

I mean not u kun but sometimes people complain about rifles and how volks will be usles now but USF is early mid game with bad late right? So i guess OKW will be ok with maybe not the best early AT but still with very strong late. I have the impression and maybe its just me but OKW currently looks strong in any stage of game. i hope this patch will change that

I agree with that, but the point is that, OKW with volks changes and in general feels like nerfed version of ostheer.

Also my personal opinion is that early game > late games, because it allow you to create snowball effect.

Anyway, OKW indeed feels cheesy right now, but I mean that StG change force volks to be more defencive and give them more AI, but at the same time StG dont give them feelable AI and feelable defencive power. So you pretty much get STG only to get sligtly better AI, which is not really changing something. And because of this, you would have to go always to T1 to rush MG34 and faust or go again for T2 + Def\luft ... kinda meh if you ask me.
23 Apr 2016, 10:40 AM

Problem with volks is OKW elite infantry. I would certainly love to see volks completely without upgrades acting like a cheap cannon fodder they meant to be, but it would require obers or FJS to not be wiped by stray tanks shell RNG BS after microing hell out of them. Both Obers and FJS should have at least 82 health per model, ideally immunity against one shot wipes above 3 models.

In reality we will get something like 3 volks 3 hmgs builds, coz vet 5 hmg42 with FRP gonna be a thing, at least in team games.
23 Apr 2016, 11:12 AM

im actually afraid of stg volks dominating cons
23 Apr 2016, 11:20 AM
Donator 33

Why wouldn't they? They cost slightly more and StGs are a muni upgrade. They'd dominate Cons just like LMG Grens.
23 Apr 2016, 11:22 AM

Only cons will be dominated by STG volks, but again, you have your penals + maybe maxim or so. But yeah, cons spam not gonna work against STG volks, but you know its more problem of cons perfomance rather then volks STG.
23 Apr 2016, 11:24 AM

Step 1: Don't build cons
Step 2: Spam penal terminator and dominate
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit
23 Apr 2016, 11:41 AM

If people so scared of Panzerschreck - Panzerbusche would be really great, really!

But... then I want PTRS rifles for concsripts after with T1 building. T2 has Maxim and AT - anti-infantry and anti-tank. T1 will have only anti-infanry - superior penals and weak conscripts. With T1-unlockable PTRSs it will be like anti-infantry penals - AT cons with AT rifles and nades.

Everything is perfect!
23 Apr 2016, 12:53 PM

Last day Jove and Noggano streamed mirage's mod.

Volks sucked donkey balls, even a lone vet 3 cons managed to defeat a vet 4 stg squad.

Just saying.

#makingokwtrashagain
23 Apr 2016, 12:56 PM

Volks sucked donkey balls, even a lone vet 3 cons managed to defeat a vet 4 stg squad.

Just saying.

#makingokwtrashagain

Well OKW got butchered in competitive mod, and some of the changes in it made them even weaker compare to vannila game i.m. with changes from balance preview. But I think it wont be any diffrent in balance pre-view mod. OKW really suck balls with StG it really feels like you give cons 2 SVT from un-buffed penals.
23 Apr 2016, 13:26 PM

Instead of having 2 squads of volks with 2 stgs each and 1 sturmpio, you could have 2 sturmpios and 1 volk without stgs for more dps at all ranges, for 70mp more and 120 muni less.
23 Apr 2016, 13:28 PM

Instead of having 2 squads of volks with 2 stgs each and 1 sturmpio, you could have 2 sturmpios and 1 volk without stgs for more dps at all ranges, for 70mp more and 120 muni less.

Which makes us closer to "Why should I build this shitty unit, anyway and not just stick with Pios+Doc call ins"?

Reminds me some slavic faction which every one complain about :snfQuinn:
23 Apr 2016, 14:00 PM

You can drown the volks in a sea of extra buffed T34/76.
23 Apr 2016, 14:06 PM

Cons are just bodies at this point for capping/merging/utility.

Penals are likely going to be the go-to non doc anti inf.
23 Apr 2016, 14:19 PM

Permanently Banned
Volks are a long range unit, and should remain so. Revert the damage buff and buff, reduce their cost and buff obers instead.
23 Apr 2016, 14:47 PM

I'm with Cultist after playing Miragefla's mod. 2x PzB with combined performance around the zook's would really help the faction get mobile again.
23 Apr 2016, 15:00 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to giving Volks both a STG Package or a PB Package to choose from so that a OKW player could diversify their force as needed. Obviously the PB package wouldn't be that great AI so its not a no-brainer.
23 Apr 2016, 15:53 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Just saying.

#makingokwtrashagain

Were they charging into cons? Volks have terrible RA bonuses which might be changed.They aren't assault infantry. If vs Cons and eary USF, let them come to you.

The StG by mid-late game is support DPS against mid-short range Allied infantry while Volks provide faust support. Volks by mid-late should be supplemented by MGs from the HQ, call-ins, or Obers.

Also, Raketens are near levels of other ATGs in my mod. I didn't think they should keep the cloak gimmick stock. It has the same accuracy as other ATGs and has a rate of fire on par with the 6pdr. I'll attempt to do so more spacing changes and redjust price.

As for possible AT rifles, I'll think about it or give Sturms shrecks so Volks aren't the solution to everything early game. But we'll have to see.
23 Apr 2016, 15:59 PM

Were they charging into cons? Volks have terrible RA bonuses which might be changed.They aren't assault infantry. If vs Cons and eary USF, let them come to you.

Volks closed 'till mid range, no cover from both sides.

If volks rush cons behind green cover its a dead volk.

The problem with the MG is that rifles can smoke it 24/7, and the low damage output doesnt help it.

Giving shrecks to Sturms might work (then ppl would get more sturms for sweeping, AT, repairs, assault).

I havent tested upgraded rifles/sections vs volks, but I do have a feeling that volks wont cut it until obers arrive (to face BAR/Bren/vetted penals only).

Anyways, I'll try to convince some ppl to do a few games to see how it works.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 566

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment