Login

russian armor

Is Airborne Company still viable?

16 Apr 2016, 14:57 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Pathfinders are a great tool to spot hostile positions in order to prepare flanks optimally. Paratroopers with LMGs can deal easily with anything that is not Obersoldaten. I would only give them Thompsons in close quartered maps in which they can unleash their full potential. .50cal and AT gun drops can be useful but aren't mandatory I feel. P47 strike is a bit RNG dependent in 2 ways: On the one hand missiles of the strike miss their target often thus not imparting all the damage they could have imparted, on the other hand the military aircraft can be shot down by OKW base defenses, Ostwinds, pintle mounted MGs and even 222s depending on RNG. Considering the fact it is an ability costing 240 munitions this issue feels quite disappointing in my opinion.
16 Apr 2016, 15:41 PM

Pathfinders are a great tool to spot hostile positions in order to prepare flanks optimally. Paratroopers with LMGs can deal easily with anything that is not Obersoldaten. I would only give them Thompsons in close quartered maps in which they can unleash their full potential. .50cal and AT gun drops can be useful but aren't mandatory I feel. P47 strike is a bit RNG dependent in 2 ways: On the one hand missiles of the strike miss their target often thus not imparting all the damage they could have imparted, on the other hand the military aircraft can be shot down by OKW base defenses, Ostwinds, pintle mounted MGs and even 222s depending on RNG. Considering the fact it is an ability costing 240 munitions this issue feels quite disappointing in my opinion.

this, but barfinders and paras alone make the commander very useful.

Lately, 90% of my games I use airborne, only a few times I go for rifle If I REALLY need some flamers.
16 Apr 2016, 15:48 PM

if you can survive with only 3 rifles into mid game, paras make great late-game infantry. they're boss with 1919s or thompsons... plus, they cost the same as rifles to reinforce, so they stand up better once they get vet.

this commander is decent, esp with ability to skip a tech tier, but p47 strafe is way too RNG-heavy.
16 Apr 2016, 15:56 PM

What I like about the P47 is that as soon you use them, EVERYBODY will reverse their tanks, nobody in their right mind will stand their ground against rockets, so I use them when the enemy come in on a full assault or when I want to clear a specific area and there are lots of tanks covering it.

air support isnt supposed to rekt everything, just scare tanks so you can come with your tanks and infantry into the area
16 Apr 2016, 16:01 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Heavy Cavalry is better. If you want Elite call in Infantry, just go Rangers. Then you also get a Pershing and Riflemen Mines.
16 Apr 2016, 16:05 PM

First, not everyone have this commander (I don't) and second, pathfinders are too good to pass on. Pershing is great, but americans can deal easily with infantry late game, and for armor you got jacksons that are very good at their job.
17 Apr 2016, 14:53 PM
Patrion 14

rangers got nothing on my 6 man reinforce-at-beacon thompson paras.

i just like paratroopers better. and focus fire is crrrrrrrazy.
18 Apr 2016, 05:57 AM

Put 3 beacons at hotspots on a map and your paras never have to retreat and can reinforce during battles if you hide behind a shotblocker

They are literally the best infantry squad in the game by a fairly large margin, backed by Shermans, Stuart, and Jackson, .50 Cal HMGs, and good ol' Riflemen with bazookas nothing can stop you if you have munis for smoke, nades, and the Stuart ability with P47
AVA
22 Apr 2016, 11:19 AM

I love airborne simply for the Thompson Paratroopers. They are the ultimate flanking squad that can rip retreating squads to bit like no other unit can. If you can get them between the enemy squad and their retreat point and activate their Concentrated Fire ability, they even have a good chance of killing full health squads on retreat.

Other than that, the only decent thing about the doctrine are the Pathfinders. You can get some nice kills with them if you use them to focus-fire low health squads. The HMG and AT gun call ins are however too expensive (they should cost munitions like the Brit version) and the P47 can't hit anything.

I don't see how you love Paratroopers with thompsons when Rangers with thompson are similar or better and packed into a good overall doctrine (heavy cavalry) whereas paratroopers are not.
If I could choose between rangers and paratroopers inside the heavy cav commander, I would pick paratroopers though.
22 Apr 2016, 11:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Apr 2016, 11:19 AMAVA

I don't see how you love Paratroopers with thompsons when Rangers with thompson are similar or better and packed into a good overall doctrine (heavy cavalry) whereas paratroopers are not.
If I could choose between rangers and paratroopers inside the heavy cav commander, I would pick paratroopers though.

2 reasons. The first is the concentrated fire ability, which rangers do not have. Second reason is.. I don't have heavy cav company.
22 Apr 2016, 11:37 AM

https://www.twitch.tv/captainsprice/v/61907601

At 05:00:00 Price absolutely rapes Angreifen with Airborne

Para's with Thompsons :hansGASM:
AVA
22 Apr 2016, 13:02 PM

2 reasons. The first is the concentrated fire ability, which rangers do not have. Second reason is.. I don't have heavy cav company.

Rangers are tankier though due to the size of their models.
23 Apr 2016, 16:57 PM

Could someone post a build order? I'm new to USF and trying to avoid losing 10 in a row.
24 Apr 2016, 01:23 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Ill give you a very general one but please remember usf is ADAPTIVE and FLEXIBLE and you can ADJUST any way you see fit during a game. That includes picking a different officer path or getting nades earlier, etc.

rifle
rifle
rifle
LT
Smoke nades(do not spam the normal nades too expensive for this strat)
Ambulance AND 50 cal, in no particular order(Remeber: adapt, if your troops are low health get that ambulance. If youre fighting ostruppen spam, get the 50 cal out asap)
M15 AAHT
Another rear echelon(Important)
Weapon rack unlock(Give both your rear echelons a bazooka and use them to screen and repair/maintain the M15. Dont give to riflemen)
With that you should be able to counter all axis lights, from the 222 to the Luchs and puma.
You should be at or around 3 cp now, and be floating a bit.
Paratroopers(give whatever you want)
Cache(if youre really winning)
Major ASAP, if you're not winning fuel race drop an AT gun as bazookas wont be enough vs a well handled P4)
Get a couple Shermans because you have plenty of AT and fast repairs(2x RE)

WIN ASAP. The longer you drag out the more screwed you are. With this particular commander.

* use combined arms

And another thing, losing 10 in a row is perfectly fine, thats where you get better. watch the replays and learn, or post them here if youre not sure what youre doing wrong.
27 Apr 2016, 01:46 AM

Ouch...ESL statistics:

Company games played games won

Tactical Support
30 17

Heavy Cavalry
27 16
Armor 17 7

Rifle
15 9
None 8 5
Infantry 6 4

Mechanized
2 0
Airborne 1 0
29 Apr 2016, 15:31 PM

get heavy cav then
29 Apr 2016, 16:02 PM

Pathfinders alone make airborne so damn good, 90% of my games I pick them.

if you can micro well they will never die since they have long range and long sights. If you can slip a beacon on some corner of the map you can keep "spying" on the enemy team movement, which is very useful. with one bar they kill a lot, with 2 they just become death incarnated.

then you get the MG drop (I rarely go for LT anymore). the AT drop is kinda useful too.
Paras are excellent unit, you can never go wrong with them, since they are great with their stock weapons, great with SMGs and great with LMGs. And as someone said earlier, in the long run Paras are cheaper than rifles too.

P47 is very useful late game for scaring off enemy swarms, but is only really useful against heavies.

normally I go for 3 rifles, captain, racks, finders -> bar, stuart(optional), paras with LMG (I like the lmgs because I keep my distance so they won't get wiped). And for late game I get jacksons and maybe one scott.

this is almost bulletproof strategy since 3 bared rifles can just keep capping while your finders and paras can keep fighting the infantry while your jacksons keep tanks away.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★