Login

russian armor

Is Airborne Company still viable?

Vez
13 Apr 2016, 19:41 PM

Hey everebody! I was thinking how could I use Airborne in 1v1 and 2v2. Is there any strats that can be used etc..
13 Apr 2016, 19:46 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Good question. I always have trouble using it in 2v2 :)
Vez
13 Apr 2016, 19:48 PM

Good question. I always have trouble using it in 2v2 :)
If only P47 were good...
13 Apr 2016, 19:51 PM
Donator 22

Cookiez is already on this, but my 2cents: yes, definately a nice doctrine in 1v1s! Haven't used pathfinders yet, but seen them being nicely utilised as well.
13 Apr 2016, 19:54 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I don't know about full on strats because Every game/map is different but the only general rule I have with airborne is never go more than 3 rifles.

I've gone airborne a lot with LT, using the AAHT as a pseudo AT gun/sniper deterrent, then pathfinder 50 cals if my manpower allows, along with the LT himself, anti infantry is usually taken care of until obers and or LMG gren comes out. Or if it's a wide open map. Since airborne doesn't have any muni sinks for a while until the p47 other than riflemen smoke, you can afford to hand out a lot of bars and bazookas especially, vs Luchs.

Usually those zooks + the airdrop at is enough to derp into major.
Airborne works with captain, but with only 3 rifles... There better docs that synergize with captain
Vez
13 Apr 2016, 19:55 PM

I don't know about full on strats because Every game/map is different but the only general rule I have with airborne is never go more than 3 rifles.

I've gone airborne a lot with LT, using the AAHT as a pseudo AT gun/sniper deterrent, then pathfinder 50 cals if my manpower allows, along with the LT himself, anti infantry is usually taken care of until obers and or LMG gren comes out. Or if it's a wide open map. Since airborne doesn't have any muni sinks for a while until the p47 other than riflemen smoke, you can afford to hand out a lot of bars and bazookas especially, vs Luchs.

Usually those zooks + the airdrop at is enough to derp into major.
Airborne works with captain, but with only 3 rifles... There better docs that synergize with captain
Thanks for the feedback Cookiez!
13 Apr 2016, 20:15 PM

I love airborne simply for the Thompson Paratroopers. They are the ultimate flanking squad that can rip retreating squads to bit like no other unit can. If you can get them between the enemy squad and their retreat point and activate their Concentrated Fire ability, they even have a good chance of killing full health squads on retreat.

Other than that, the only decent thing about the doctrine are the Pathfinders. You can get some nice kills with them if you use them to focus-fire low health squads. The HMG and AT gun call ins are however too expensive (they should cost munitions like the Brit version) and the P47 can't hit anything.
13 Apr 2016, 20:56 PM

The HMG and AT gun call ins are however too expensive (they should cost munitions like the Brit version) and the P47 can't hit anything.

Incredibly useful for letting you skip tech though. For example if you go Lieutenant, you can call in an AT gun for manpower and save fuel for earlier Major. If you go Captain you can still get a machine gun.

I think they're fine as they are for that reason.

13 Apr 2016, 21:14 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Incredibly useful for letting you skip tech though. For example if you go Lieutenant, you can call in an AT gun for manpower and save fuel for earlier Major. If you go Captain you can still get a machine gun.

exactly

Thats why I like the AAHT in LT, it can play that AT role along with riflemen AT nades and zooks until 4cp where you can then drop the AT gun for extra insurance vs mediums.
13 Apr 2016, 21:59 PM

LoL at you guys talking shit about P47, they are insanely good. Can take more than half of a Tiger health really quick.

The enemy sure can't charge their tanks while rockets are raining down.
13 Apr 2016, 22:22 PM
Patrion 14

I remember Airborne being the go-to commander back when WFA was first released. The P-47s have admittedly been nerfed a bit since then, but other than that, nothing has really changed about it. The difference between then and now is the arrival of the Pershing and Calliope commanders. It is still one of the most flexible commanders in terms of what to tech. It's not a bad option, but people prefer that heavy tank and non-doctrinal rocket arty.
13 Apr 2016, 22:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2016, 21:59 PMzerocoh
LoL at you guys talking shit about P47, they are insanely good. Can take more than half of a Tiger health really quick.

No, it won't. The P47 rockets fly all over the place and hit everything but the target. A Tiger tank can stand still in the radius, get strafed 6 times and it will still survive. Even medium tanks have decent odds of surviving the full effects of the P47 strafe.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/49402/ju-87-vs-p-47
14 Apr 2016, 00:55 AM

Yeah not a fan of the P47 strafe. I think those munitions are better put to use elsewhere. Especially when axis tanks have machine guns that can shoot the planes down on all their armour.
14 Apr 2016, 14:00 PM

I don't agree. Going LTD with airborne completely over-saturates your anti-infantry firepower. Riflemen/pathfinded/paratroopers are already very deadly against infantry and you don't really have the need for LTD tier units to add further anti-infantry DPS. Furthermore, The overpriced call-in AT gun also comes too late (4cp) to help you defend against early enemy armor such as the Panzer 2. So if you do for some reason go LTD, you still need zooks before you can call in the AT gun and at that point, you might as well no longer bother with the overpriced AT gun.

The HMG drop only has some limited use against OKW if they don't go for MG34s you can steal. In every other case, the thing is so bloody expensive (over 360mp to get it crewed with shitty rear echelons) that in nearly every case, you are better of simply teching grenades and use them to steal an enemy HMG. Paratroopers with the captains On-Me sprint bonus and their powerful grenades can quickly flank an enemy HMG and take it out.
14 Apr 2016, 17:13 PM

I don't agree. Going LTD with airborne completely over-saturates your anti-infantry firepower. Riflemen/pathfinded/paratroopers are already very deadly against infantry and you don't really have the need for LTD tier units to add further anti-infantry DPS. Furthermore, The overpriced call-in AT gun also comes too late (4cp) to help you defend against early enemy armor such as the Panzer 2. So if you do for some reason go LTD, you still need zooks before you can call in the AT gun and at that point, you might as well no longer bother with the overpriced AT gun.

The HMG drop only has some limited use against OKW if they don't go for MG34s you can steal. In every other case, the thing is so bloody expensive (over 360mp to get it crewed with shitty rear echelons) that in nearly every case, you are better of simply teching grenades and use them to steal an enemy HMG. Paratroopers with the captains On-Me sprint bonus and their powerful grenades can quickly flank an enemy HMG and take it out.

I mean you should always have bazookas anyway. I don't think you can ever have too much anti infantry firepower though. LT has such great shock value and awesome unit tech that I really prefer grabbing weapon racks and some bazookas to getting an early Captain.

What it does allow you to do is buy less bazookas because you only need 2-3 to deal with a luchs, but more for a pzIV and bigger. I do a lot of Brummbar builds with Ostheer and anyone who tries to get by on pure bazookas gets absolutely obliterated around ~15 minutes when the brumm pops out. Even the 57mm without the armour piercing rounds is a wet noodle against its front armour.

I dunno, I think the tech flexibility and being able to drop it anywhere in the field is pretty significant. It's not a "use every game" ability but having the option to pay a premium price for weapons is fine to me.

There's an argument for min/maxing for certain, but that doesn't mean the abilities aren't pretty useful. They scale up well to team games too, great for helping your allies out.
14 Apr 2016, 19:32 PM

As others have stated before the tactical flexibility is worth going Airbourne alone with Paratroopers a good choice to support Riflemen. The most successful build that I had was going with CPT into airdropped .50cal. The sole reason I go with LT anymore is the .50cal but the Luchs is such a threat that I find CPT becoming more useful than the LT currently. However, smart usage with Bazooka's can ward off a luchs but you'll bleed quite a bit trying to stave it off until 4 CPs for 57mm.
14 Apr 2016, 19:34 PM

Pathfinders I do find ineffective for cost which I generally avoid getting and that is also due to the high MP costs of running Airborne Company.
15 Apr 2016, 03:02 AM
Patrion 14

I love airborne simply for the Thompson Paratroopers. They are the ultimate flanking squad that can rip retreating squads to bit like no other unit can. If you can get them between the enemy squad and their retreat point and activate their Concentrated Fire ability, they even have a good chance of killing full health squads on retreat.

Other than that, the only decent thing about the doctrine are the Pathfinders. You can get some nice kills with them if you use them to focus-fire low health squads. The HMG and AT gun call ins are however too expensive (they should cost munitions like the Brit version) and the P47 can't hit anything.

my feelings.
15 Apr 2016, 13:53 PM

P47 has lost his vision so it will not chase any tank in the fog of war making it quite complicated to use. If only it really deal consistent damage at the first run, it wouldn't be an issue...

15 Apr 2016, 20:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Apr 2016, 13:53 PMEsxile
P47 has lost his vision so it will not chase any tank in the fog of war making it quite complicated to use. If only it really deal consistent damage at the first run, it wouldn't be an issue...

This. The inconsistent damage plus it's loss of vision to chase down retreating units has made it utterly useless and a waste of muni.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★