Login

russian armor

If you were a new Balance tester on COH2...

14 Mar 2016, 16:08 PM

What would you do for your first patch?

I really mean in a meta sort of a way, hence my first changes would be to ensure that all factions start with the same resources and to both collect and publish detailed data on both factions and individual units.

I don't see how a game could be balanced without the above, and if it were it still wouldn't inspire confidence in the finished product.

Say some rat faced 11yr old decided to start a thread on how the UC is overpowered, and got his classmates to chip in with support. Being able to point out that the average UC lasted exactly 13 seconds in combat, or 110s for a top 100 player would be both scientific and informative.

If the same onanist claimed that Panthers were underpowered then pointing out that they averaged 3.7 tank kills per game might sway the argument somewhat.

Saying that I do love a good bunfight so feel free to post whatever unit nerfs for your least favourite faction you think are deserved. :D
14 Mar 2016, 16:12 PM

I'd do a full community balance patch wishes investigation, relate the responses to existing in-game data metrics (e.g. winrates, use of units etc.), produce a patch based on the quantified results, release an open alpha mod of the patch, and iterate mod with results of the community/ingame metrics for at least two months. Then implement patch live. Rinse and repeat for at least six months. Get community and players happy.

14 Mar 2016, 18:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd do a full community balance patch wishes investigation, relate the responses to existing in-game data metrics (e.g. winrates, use of units etc.), produce a patch based on the quantified results, release an open alpha mod of the patch, and iterate mod with results of the community/ingame metrics for at least two months. Then implement patch live. Rinse and repeat for at least six months. Get community and players happy.

I'll add: incentivize people to join the alpha.
-Add decals/faceplates
-Give whoever gets (insert random number of matches) X amount of dogecoins for the new warspoil system (if they implement something simil to what it was shown months ago) so they can unlock whatever they want.
-Heck, make a tourney out of it. Even if you give small prizes as bundles, you might have top ranked players finding what's abusive on that patch.

TL;DR: It's hard to test things if there is little to no one of equal skill playing
14 Mar 2016, 18:37 PM

I would do an exhaustive in game poll (steam id) on what they see needed for the game to thrive and be fun.

I would poll everybody but give more weight to those with a minimum of 200 hours of gameplay.

I would then start working my customers the top priorities and also theirs important one that are easy to be done.

Thanks
14 Mar 2016, 18:43 PM

its not even confirmed that brad is gone though. so thread invalid :brad:
14 Mar 2016, 19:20 PM

I would do the following changes:

OKW

Remove schrecks from volks (introduce a more dedicated, ~300 MP AT infantry unit and/or give volks fausts)

Make the T3 flak cannon an additional upgrade for ~125 MP + 25 fuel

Increase the cost of incendiary nade (currently a lot more effective than the molotov due to short throwing time) and make it a side tech that costs fuel

Increase the cost of infiltration nades

Give the Kubel a fuel cost (10 fuel for example) – currently gives an unfair capping advantage during early game with a very good cost vs reward ratio. Also make it slightly less durable, since currently it can survive a ZiS shot.

Soviets

Increase Katyusha’s AOE (currently it’s basically nonexistent)

Move T-34/76 back to T3, keep T-34/85 as a doctrinal unit in T4

Reduce IS-2’s scatter a bit

Buff cons’ veterancy to make them scale better, increase their base DPS slightly

Increase maxim’s set up time slightly or decrease it’s suppression slightly to make spamming it less appealing

Make the M3 scout car more durable (HP buff and slight armor buff to negate small arms fire a bit)

Make penals a bit more durable

Nerf the guards' nade (currently does 100% damage at it's entire AOE)

Ostheer

Make the sniper recloak a bit slower
Tone down LMG’s DPS slightly

USF

Make the regular Sherman better vs other tanks by increasing it’s penetration a bit

Tone down BARs and M1919s slightly, make the BARs less accurate while on the move to make blobbing less effective

Remove the function where you can exceed your pop cap

Brits

Nerf the advanced emplacement regiment

Reduce infantry sections’ DPS slightly (currently unfairly strong vs ostheer grenadiers during early game)

Give the universal carrier capping ability when not upgraded (upgrading weapons would lose the capping ability)

Reduce cromwell’s armor (currently way too cost efficient)

General changes

Optimization!

In 1v1/2v2 hybrid maps, the HQ location should always be the closest possible to the action (this way you could avoid unnecessarily long retreat times or unfair situations where either player just happens to have his HQ closer to the front line)

Add the option to search as random faction (each faction would have a default loadout that would be used when searching random)

Make it possible to order engineers/pioneers to repair units right after being deployed – currently you have to wait for them to come inside the map area to order them to repair anything

Reduce the tendency of squads to bunch up in cover and when exiting buildings

Revert recent changes to grenades vs buildings

When adding more maps into the map pool, also add more vetoes

Some of these ideas are from other people but most of them are my own.

I probably forgot something since I had to rewrite the post but I think these are the most important ones.
15 Mar 2016, 16:32 PM

-Make T-34/76 tier 3 instead of 4, 250 MP instead of 300
-Make T-34/85 non doctrinal T4
-Decrease Su-85 to 110 fuel
-Give cons 1 DP28 LMG for 40 muni
-Buff penal hitpoints
-Buff soviet sniper hitpoints, being 1-shotted by a mortar is disgustingly absurd
-Make AT grenades free since wehr gets faust for free
15 Mar 2016, 18:03 PM

I would introduce mirror matchup for couple of Weeks so all these fanbois will encounter their own annoying cheese :^)
15 Mar 2016, 18:39 PM

Though inarticulately put, and even somewhat ironic, that isn't a bad idea.
15 Mar 2016, 19:14 PM

remove emplacements, give them to hades and let them endure eternal torture like they tortured us
15 Mar 2016, 19:56 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I would introduce mirror matchup for couple of Weeks so all these fanbois will encounter their own annoying cheese :^)

This, I want to see VonIvan versus Paul maxim deathmacth :hansGASM:
15 Mar 2016, 19:59 PM

I would remove Panzerschrecks from volks.
15 Mar 2016, 20:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2016, 19:56 PMTobis

This, I want to see VonIvan versus Paul maxim deathmacth :hansGASM:

+1
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak