Login

russian armor

February 25th Update and It's Impending Hotfix

26 Feb 2016, 16:11 PM

I agree with Maschinengewehr.

I work in computing too, and if I released a patch that broke our SQL database, we'd lose thousands of customers, and thus millions of revenue. Yay.

26 Feb 2016, 17:00 PM

Relic told us that they knew about vet problem for 4 month ... sooooo :brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad:
26 Feb 2016, 17:08 PM

just release a real balance patch, ok ?
26 Feb 2016, 18:13 PM
Patrion 14

I work in IT fyi, managing databases for the Australian Health Department. In my position, if I was to to catastrophically fuck up and corrupt an entire database full of confidential medical records, I would be hung by my balls. That's why we TEST TEST TEST. We take every precaution possible to make sure shit like this doesn't happen.
I am sure you were simplifying to get your point across. Since it's 2016 and replication is a thing, corruption shouldn't even be a possibility with the right setup. At most you need to rollback a few hours after a critical thing happens. And it will happen sooner or later no matter what your failsafes are (and for some systems even those few hours will generate a loss of millions).

As a fellow coder who dual-specializes in game development and backend engineering I can safely say that it's a bit silly comparing business applications with games in regards to reliability standards. It's just two completely different worlds, which of course explains why someone outside of game development would be outraged by Relic's track record.

If the most you are concerned is getting the right info in database tables, then game development is a different beast. Things are much more difficult to test (unit testing in particular is of limited to no usability for the majority of the code), state replication is a pain in the arse, and generally, the logic layer does not consist of easily compartmentalized and well documented controllers.

But the thing is, even with all that taken into account, I completely sympathize with all the coders here. These people are getting paid money to get things right. Nobody writes perfect code, but there is imperfect, and then there is Relic patches. There were many times when I was thrown into exasperation by the way Relic handles patches. Even in game development there are best practices, there are standards. For example, having ANY FORM OF QA WHATSOEVER, which Relic clearly does not. It is obvious the game is being maintained by a skeleton crew while they are working on DoW3 or whatever it is.

Relic told us that they knew about vet problem for 4 month
This is incorrect.
After players reported the vet proble, they went back and realized that the bug had been in the game for 4 months (which was when the last batch of vet changes was in the game).

There is enough shoddy stuff to blame Relic for in this patch. No need to make up falsehoods as well.

Welp. At least we are getting a prompt hotfix.
26 Feb 2016, 18:33 PM

I am sure you were simplifying to get your point across. Since it's 2016 and replication is a thing, corruption shouldn't even be a possibility with the right setup. At most you need to rollback a few hours after a critical thing happens. And it will happen sooner or later no matter what your failsafes are (and for some systems even those few hours will generate a loss of millions).

As a fellow coder who dual-specializes in game development and backend engineering I can safely say that it's a bit silly comparing business applications with games in regards to reliability standards. It's just two completely different worlds, which of course explains why someone outside of game development would be outraged by Relic's track record.

If the most you are concerned is getting the right info in database tables, then game development is a different beast. Things are much more difficult to test (unit testing in particular is of limited to no usability for the majority of the code), state replication is a pain in the arse, and generally, the logic layer does not consist of easily compartmentalized and well documented controllers.

But the thing is, even with all that taken into account, I completely sympathize with all the coders here. These people are getting paid money to get things right. Nobody writes perfect code, but there is imperfect, and then there is Relic patches. There were many times when I was thrown into exasperation by the way Relic handles patches. Even in game development there are best practices, there are standards. For example, having ANY FORM OF QA WHATSOEVER, which Relic clearly does not. It is obvious the game is being maintained by a skeleton crew while they are working on DoW3 or whatever it is.

This is incorrect.
After players reported the vet proble, they went back and realized that the bug had been in the game for 4 months (which was when the last batch of vet changes was in the game).

There is enough shoddy stuff to blame Relic for in this patch. No need to make up falsehoods as well.

Welp. At least we are getting a prompt hotfix.

+1

I followed the vet bug pretty closely when it was discovered, and I specifically remember Cuddletronic basically saying there was no guarantee that it would make it's way into Feb 25th patch. I took this to mean that they had literally spent the 5-4 days between 21-25 trying to get some kind of solution to work. I'm not surprised that there are bugs related to the veterancy changes.

What did surprise me was the map rotation issues, mines being almost universally broken, the inconsistency of the new grenade damage to buildings, and the issues regarding british emplacements and land mattresses. Those are all issues unrelated to weapon veterancy and the only thing I can think of is that Relic is so understaffed for the moment that product testing barely exists.
26 Feb 2016, 18:37 PM

Relic told us that they knew about vet problem for 4 month ... sooooo :brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad::brad:

This is wrong. Kyle said that the bug exists for 4 months but they discovered it 2 weeks ago!
Neo
27 Feb 2016, 22:27 PM

I give you my finest work.

28 Feb 2016, 23:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2016, 22:27 PMNeo

Indeed, this is some fine work we have here. It's been ages since I last LOL'd (real-life) as hard as seeing this.
28 Feb 2016, 23:23 PM

:clap:
29 Feb 2016, 00:55 AM

Just Lelic April's Fool comes earlier.
29 Feb 2016, 03:05 AM

Does anybody have the ability to make a soundboard?
1 Mar 2016, 08:59 AM

I work in IT fyi, managing databases for the Australian Health Department. In my position, if I was to to catastrophically fuck up and corrupt an entire database full of confidential medical records, I would be hung by my balls. That's why we TEST TEST TEST. We take every precaution possible to make sure shit like this doesn't happen. User error and machine error are very different things mr smartarse. Get your damn facts straight.

So please, STFU.

You are now on my list of favorites.
Also, gonna stir you from time t time :P

You are right tho - if it already exists, it goes under intensive testing.
If its a new software, it goes live with bugs
1 Mar 2016, 09:02 AM

Rant

Good Post.

On a side note, what do you guys think of the idea of having a beta CoH2, that has updates rolled out to it first.

This way, the community can give it a run thru, and if any bugs come up, the real game would get patched with the fixes.
1 Mar 2016, 09:33 AM
Patrion 39

I work in IT fyi, managing databases for the Australian Health Department. In my position, if I was to to catastrophically fuck up and corrupt an entire database full of confidential medical records, I would be hung by my balls. That's why we TEST TEST TEST. We take every precaution possible to make sure shit like this doesn't happen. User error and machine error are very different things mr smartarse. Get your damn facts straight.

So please, STFU.

Wouldnt happen to be QLD health? Howd your testing of the payroll system go?
nee
1 Mar 2016, 14:39 PM

Is it me or is Reverse totally fucked now? I'd tell a vehicle to go three feet behind, and it opts to do a complete turn around.
1 Mar 2016, 14:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2016, 14:39 PMnee
Is it me or is Reverse totally fucked now? I'd tell a vehicle to go three feet behind, and it opts to do a complete turn around.

I find it's super inconsistent now. Sometimes it goes forward and sometimes back. This is even when clicking at the same spot.

I also noticed that before the last patch, telling an AEC to go somewhere by clicking multiple times got it there slower. I felt like every time I told him to move, he would reset his current speed to a slow one then start accelerating. Especially when starting from a stand still.
1 Mar 2016, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2016, 14:39 PMnee
You have to be careful when giving order to multiple vehicles. They will always turn unless a reverse order is given. Other then that I find it's been better then ever.
1 Mar 2016, 16:49 PM

Ahahaha)))

"Next time they'll be satisified with a fixed sniper icon"

Ahahaaaa))

Great subs ^^
1 Mar 2016, 23:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2016, 02:52 AMTobis
Well, I found the bug :D

Edit: Apparently someone beat me to it.

Also we got matched on Don river in automatch, hasn't this been out or rotation since forever? Terrible map.

should've seen my quadruple flamer royal engineers...
2 Mar 2016, 08:12 AM

Wouldnt happen to be QLD health? Howd your testing of the payroll system go?

Nah NSW. So we manage the CHOC, CHIME and Cerner (eMR/eMR2/eMM) systems. The payroll is left to the poor bastards who manage HealthRoster and all of those nightmares XD
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★