Login

russian armor

Does Relic Care at all about Micro Mattering?

22 Feb 2016, 09:26 AM

Really curious ... because given all of their changes it really seems like they don't. The pathfinding change is just the cream on the cake of their anti-micro focus. Not only does the pathfinding right now take control out of the player's hands, it responds terribly to additional input. In most games you fine adjust your units by cycling through them and giving them more commands. If you do that in this game, you units spin in place and models get stuck and rotate in bizarre directions.
22 Feb 2016, 09:49 AM

Grenades, artillery, tanks, early game non-blob infantry. These are things that yield significant reward with these influences around when micro managed.
22 Feb 2016, 09:51 AM

Really curious ... because given all of their changes it really seems like they don't. The pathfinding change is just the cream on the cake of their anti-micro focus. Not only does the pathfinding right now take control out of the player's hands, it responds terribly to additional input. In most games you fine adjust your units by cycling through them and giving them more commands. If you do that in this game, you units spin in place and models get stuck and rotate in bizarre directions.

In most games you have empty generic maps, with no details or clutter.
22 Feb 2016, 10:23 AM

Banned
If you're talking about pathfinding - it's fucking hilarious (read - frustrating) in this game.
But I think micro in terms of infantry placement is kinda important and it looks like Relic cares (unit spacing, ..)

22 Feb 2016, 21:02 PM

Just lost a game to a brit exploting arty cover. Even though it is being patched on the 25th, I have to say they really don't care when they introduced such an absurdly skilless and broken ability into the game.

Other annoying things like 120mm mortars being able to wipe full health squads in green cover too and mines wiping full health squads are pretty fail game design too.

And all the micro-stutter in this game. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the truesight system having to constantly recalculate vision on units. The first game always had beautiful battles with well-timed flanking and use of abilities. This game is such a stutter fest if you want to do a skillful strategy like that; it's literally all about blobbing or abusing awfully designed mechanics like arty cover.

It's sad. Micro really seems dead in this game, even at the highest level of play.
23 Feb 2016, 05:46 AM

Just lost a game to a brit exploting arty cover. Even though it is being patched on the 25th, I have to say they really don't care when they introduced such an absurdly skilless and broken ability into the game.

Other annoying things like 120mm mortars being able to wipe full health squads in green cover too and mines wiping full health squads are pretty fail game design too.

And all the micro-stutter in this game. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the truesight system having to constantly recalculate vision on units. The first game always had beautiful battles with well-timed flanking and use of abilities. This game is such a stutter fest if you want to do a skillful strategy like that; it's literally all about blobbing or abusing awfully designed mechanics like arty cover.

It's sad. Micro really seems dead in this game, even at the highest level of play.

Micro seems dead....
23 Feb 2016, 12:20 PM
Patrion 26

Given that they don't care about addressing blobbing (the USF and OKW are blob factions by design), I don't think they consider micro important or necessary in this game.
23 Feb 2016, 12:34 PM

Given that they don't care about addressing blobbing (the USF and OKW are blob factions by design), I don't think they consider micro important or necessary in this game.

Well, they've buffed HMGs to specifically fend off blobs to a point.

We had off-maps erasing blobs, but they erased blobs, so community screamed for nerfs until they got them :sibPheasant:

There won't be mechanic to deter blobing and every single unit that excelled at obliterating blobs was drowned in tears and in result in quad to penta nerfs.

This community whines for months about blobbing, but when unit countering blobs appears, they whine much harder to nerf it asap and in result the unit can't counter blobs any longer, because side effect of anti blob unit being effective vs blobs is it being effective vs singular squads just as much :snfPeter:
23 Feb 2016, 18:12 PM
Patrion 26

Exactly. God forbid people should be able to wipe blobs, rather than just half or at best two thirds of them. Only to see the same high vet units appear again a few minutes later.

And now the Maxim is getting a nerf: because a handful of players spam them. Meanwhile USF players still need to counter tier 0 mg42s with a handful of riflemen and nades.

Sometimes it feels more like Brad is a babysitter than a balancer.
23 Feb 2016, 19:15 PM

If micro doesn't matter then why do players like Luvnest, Jesulin, Jove, Barton, Noggano, etc always beat the rest of the pack on ladder and in tournies?

What do you think it is that makes them stronger players?

Trust me, micro matters. It matters a lot in this game. In fact it might be the most important factor for success. That or unit preservation.
23 Feb 2016, 19:41 PM

Of course micro matters. It's just not as key for anything other than 1v1, and multi is what most people play.

However, I would like someone to sit down and go frame-by-frame through a COH1 tourney game and a COH2 tourney game, and do an analysis of why rifles could successfully fend off multiple MGs, volks and snipers in COH1 but not COH2. In my opinion, COH2 has many more specialized units that overall tends to make having the hard counter at the right place and time more important than good micro. It's not a super huge edge, but I think it IS noticeable in this game. I remember playing COH1 with guys who concentrated so hard on their micro they would float and float while maneuvering their squads like crazy, but still come out ahead. The game just played like that. You can't win just with superior micro in COH2, and whether that's good or bad is debatable.

Generally COH1 had more soft counters for one thing, but it would behoove someone to sit down and show Relic why COH1 generally played better, rewarded true skill more and was easier to balance (at least the original two factions.) As Inverse always points out, there was a lot more macro-strategy that doesn't exist in COH2.

23 Feb 2016, 19:43 PM

there is no much micro in this game.

What most of people think they call micro is actually called multitasking .
23 Feb 2016, 19:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Feb 2016, 19:15 PMCieZ
If micro doesn't matter then why do players like Luvnest, Jesulin, Jove, Barton, Noggano, etc always beat the rest of the pack on ladder and in tournies?

What do you think it is that makes them stronger players?

Trust me, micro matters. It matters a lot in this game. In fact it might be the most important factor for success. That or unit preservation.

I'd say macro.

There are many players with good micro and high APM but with shit macro and bad decisions all the time like me :foreveralone:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★