Login

russian armor

ESL final strategy..

22 Feb 2016, 03:55 AM

Watched Luvnest being shlonged earlier, which was nice.

Partly because it doesn't seem to happen much and partly because it was the first time I've seen the Brits used in an ESL European final. I thought it was a contractual obligation to play Soviets versus OKW with whoever got OKW twice winning...

Did remind me of a game I played against someone who was clearly way out of my league ( PreparationH or something similar?) when I was messing around with different ideas.

For once against a very strong player I had a good game, field presence, 3 AECs and a Cromwell on the field and frankly had my chances to win it if I had known when to push or had not decided on a commander to pick before the game ( or simply not been a bit clueless). For long stretches of the game I was thinking I should be attacking now but was a bit too timid. Had a chat with him after the game and he said that my mortars really hurt.

I had built an early defensive pit but assuming it would be smashed rather quickly by his arty built another one just to try something different. They were both behind the centre VP and amazingly survived until quite late game ,partly I think because they were able to support each other. With the pits unable to target anything within ( 25m?) close range the only option you have is to brace when they come for them.

So watching luvnest being ridden like an Afghani village's only goat makes me wonder whether two pits might be a go to strategy. Something along the lines of 2-3 Vickers, a couple of pyro IS with Piats for spotting in the centre, 6 pdrs creeping and pushing the flanks with Brenned up engineers. Almost foregoing all armour until at least a couple of weighty tanks can be fielded.

It strikes me that this would chime rather well with the new commander, Advanced emplacements. IS could build the pits without having to wait for engineer support, fortifying them might give a nice hidey hole for snipers and something along the lines of Price's engineer spam to round things off.

I'm rather looking forward to Thursday...
22 Feb 2016, 08:15 AM

The manpower investment there is my biggest concern. I suppose time will tell with the new commander.
22 Feb 2016, 08:47 AM
Patrion 15

What is this? Blog?
22 Feb 2016, 09:22 AM

Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2016, 08:47 AMruzen
What is this? Blog?

Yes. You can follow him on Instagram too @ESLThoughts
23 Feb 2016, 08:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2016, 09:22 AMTEKOA

Yes. You can follow him on Instagram too @ESLThoughts

Bahahha