Login

russian armor

Looking for a top level US forces mentor

22 Feb 2016, 03:49 AM

**Looking for a top 25 player to mentor me!**

So a bit about me: I have about 300 games of Coh 2 under my belt. About 200 of those are playing casual arranged team (both axis and allied) with the same guy (getting to about 150th on both ladders with a mix of all factions on my part except soviet).

After dabbling with the different factions I've decided I really like playing US forces because of the fantastic versatility and scaling of riflemen, the aggressiveness of the faction as a whole, and the unique mechanics that enable it to be that way(ambulances, repairing vehicle crews, 'free' squads on tech-up etc).

After a handful of games (37 to be precise, going 27 for 10), I find myself at a placing of 70th for US 1v1. Not too shabby, but I know I can do better! I'm aiming to get in the top 25!

As it is, I feel like a bit of a loose cannon. I basically don't know what I'm doing- I cap randomly in the opening of games as I haven't figured out optimal paths (assuming no crazy openings by opponents that need reacting to), I don't know when I should be keeping control of critical buildings in openings versus capping and risking letting my opponent in them, I'm terrible at dealing with MGs in buildings, I never know when to dive retreating enemy vehicles or leave them be, I have little feel for when I should be spreading out and capping versus concentrating my firepower and I have no idea when to go LT or capt (I basically always go captain because the stuart is safe, the pak howie is great, captain has zooks and has AT guns in his tier whereas LT just seems to be asking to get owned by vehicles/light tanks and considerably slows tech if I have to go captain for AT later anyway) and I don't know when I should be teching for major as opposed to waiting for doctrinal call-ins.

As such I'm really inconsistent- sometimes everything just comes together and I feel I'm playing well and other times I just make a basic mistake and lose pretty horribly. Basically I feel like I'm making up for my lack of map knowledge and matchup knowledge (and even own faction knowledge) with general RTS skill (I've played other RTSs at high levels).

I'm hoping a very high ranked player would be able to mentor me and dicuss map theory, opening capping orders, different openings, differences in opening manouvres versus Wermacht and OKW, building control, playstyles on a map specific basis, how to respond to high pressure scenarios (early sniper opening etc.) when to use LT tier over captain, dealing with MGs efficiently etc.

Also need a better idea of what conditions each doctrine works best under and when to pick a doctrine early as opposed to waiting out and seeing if I can last. As it is I pick my doctrines fairly randomly- heavy cav if the game is brutal and fast paced and I'll be hitting 13 cps not much after I get to 230 fuel anyway (its basically pershing then or major+1 tank) or early if I lose a rifle and want more immediate power (rangers). If I'm in control and have a lot of fuel I'll pick rifle company for the easy 8s (that come before a pershing in a high fuel environment) so that I don't have an opportunity to lose momentum. I'm always itching to pick it early though as I love flamers on my REs to help clear MGs!! (though often I end up regretting my decision) Currently have tac support slotted but I try not to use it as I find calliopes boring and they're getting nerfed soon anyway...I prefer BARs moving DPS also...not sure if I should re-slot armour company as an 'oh shit' company. Basically I don't know what I'm doing with doctrines! :D

And then finally to play against me and force me to improve my positioning, opponent reading and game sense whilst playing at a much faster and less forgiving pace (I'm well aware there is a HUGE difference between the top 100 and top 10-20 in every RTS) and give me feedback on what I'm doing badly!

Anyone feel up to the challenge of mentoring this poor noob? :)
22 Feb 2016, 05:28 AM

**Looking for a top 25 player to mentor me!**

So a bit about me: I have about 300 games of Coh 2 under my belt. About 200 of those are playing casual arranged team (both axis and allied) with the same guy (getting to about 150th on both ladders with a mix of all factions on my part except soviet).

After dabbling with the different factions I've decided I really like playing US forces because of the fantastic versatility and scaling of riflemen, the aggressiveness of the faction as a whole, and the unique mechanics that enable it to be that way(ambulances, repairing vehicle crews, 'free' squads on tech-up etc).

After a handful of games (37 to be precise, going 27 for 10), I find myself at a placing of 70th for US 1v1. Not too shabby, but I know I can do better! I'm aiming to get in the top 25!

As it is, I feel like a bit of a loose cannon. I basically don't know what I'm doing- I cap randomly in the opening of games as I haven't figured out optimal paths (assuming no crazy openings by opponents that need reacting to), I don't know when I should be keeping control of critical buildings in openings versus capping and risking letting my opponent in them, I'm terrible at dealing with MGs in buildings, I never know when to dive retreating enemy vehicles or leave them be, I have little feel for when I should be spreading out and capping versus concentrating my firepower and I have no idea when to go LT or capt (I basically always go captain because the stuart is safe, the pak howie is great, captain has zooks and has AT guns in his tier whereas LT just seems to be asking to get owned by vehicles/light tanks and considerably slows tech if I have to go captain for AT later anyway) and I don't know when I should be teching for major as opposed to waiting for doctrinal call-ins.

As such I'm really inconsistent- sometimes everything just comes together and I feel I'm playing well and other times I just make a basic mistake and lose pretty horribly. Basically I feel like I'm making up for my lack of map knowledge and matchup knowledge (and even own faction knowledge) with general RTS skill (I've played other RTSs at high levels).

I'm hoping a very high ranked player would be able to mentor me and dicuss map theory, opening capping orders, different openings, differences in opening manouvres versus Wermacht and OKW, building control, playstyles on a map specific basis, how to respond to high pressure scenarios (early sniper opening etc.) when to use LT tier over captain, dealing with MGs efficiently etc.

Also need a better idea of what conditions each doctrine works best under and when to pick a doctrine early as opposed to waiting out and seeing if I can last. As it is I pick my doctrines fairly randomly- heavy cav if the game is brutal and fast paced and I'll be hitting 13 cps not much after I get to 230 fuel anyway (its basically pershing then or major+1 tank) or early if I lose a rifle and want more immediate power (rangers). If I'm in control and have a lot of fuel I'll pick rifle company for the easy 8s (that come before a pershing in a high fuel environment) so that I don't have an opportunity to lose momentum. I'm always itching to pick it early though as I love flamers on my REs to help clear MGs!! (though often I end up regretting my decision) Currently have tac support slotted but I try not to use it as I find calliopes boring and they're getting nerfed soon anyway...I prefer BARs moving DPS also...not sure if I should re-slot armour company as an 'oh shit' company. Basically I don't know what I'm doing with doctrines! :D

And then finally to play against me and force me to improve my positioning, opponent reading and game sense whilst playing at a much faster and less forgiving pace (I'm well aware there is a HUGE difference between the top 100 and top 10-20 in every RTS) and give me feedback on what I'm doing badly!

Anyone feel up to the challenge of mentoring this poor noob? :)

Kinda greedy request, most top players are practicing for ESL or with life, you know. Even then, no one wants to spend time showing some new guy how to play the game, an old game, a mediocre game at best, and a stagnating game. Playing the game will teach you immeasurably, as experience is the best teacher. If you really care that much, you can post your replays and have them reviewed, or watch replays of good players.
18 Apr 2016, 19:52 PM

If you look for a couple of tips and tricks with USF - ask VonIvan or HelpingHans at their streams, they are willing to give some while between games.
As per mentoring,idk. If you got some replays, you can try to get them on Hans training tuesday, when he looks for players replays, maybe he'll give you some more. I remember he did coaching, but idk if he does it anymore.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★