Login

russian armor

How to play against OKW in 2s?

20 Feb 2016, 16:48 PM
Patrion 26

It seems almost impossible to play against OKW in 2v2 if the player has half a brain.

The most effective (and common) strat is Volks (-/+ double strums depending on map) into BGHQ, then LeIG (x2 if facing emplacements), fusiliers, optional raketten (early vs AEC), Schwerer, Panther. If game drags on JT/KT ensure Brits can't match it.

As usual, OKW schreks multiple the volks, keeps LeIG(s) for rekking emplacments or smashing sections in cover, and always pushes with inf en mass (though not always blobs ofc). Sections in equal cover don't exactly beat volks convincingly until blostered, and fusiliers just walk over all infantry and threaten the sniper with G-43s. Schreks force the AEC to keep it's distance and any slight mistake either costs you a big bit of HP (and free vet for the volks) or the AEC, especially when fusiliers can get an AT nade off.

In contrast, Tank hunter IS nades are useless vs luchs unless you score 2 penetrating hits with the rifles first. But that's more piss poor balance than anything else.

What's the best options against this build? It seesms that UKF is outmatched at all stages and you need to invest significantly more micro into high risk/reward units (Sniper, OP AEC) to stay in the game. Of course, if the game drags on and you end up facing anything bigger than a panther it's over unless they enemy over extends and throws their supertanks away.

Right now I'm trying 2-3 sections + vickers in the early game, into sniper, AEC/Bofors + sappers. Then Tank hunters if Spec weps, or glider if vanguard. Then ATG (x2 if it's going badly) bolster, mortar as needed or tech. Cromwell/Comet depending on timing and income.

AEC deserves the nerf it's geting, but I fear this is only going to get worse after the patch, as OKW is still untouched (volks-schreks, side tech, fastest throwing grenade)
20 Feb 2016, 21:34 PM

Leigs are the biggest problem with their un natural range, especially when they are plonked next to a schwerer.

Can't say I've found any counter to them. Anyone else found a reliable way to take them out?
20 Feb 2016, 21:52 PM

Gonna sound funny but many may change after fixing vet bug. Brits suffers the most currently on it. Corrected vet bonusses should mostly help against okw infantry.

Many depend on your teammate, if he goes calliope it shouldn't be problem :D

to the brits:

snipers (no serious counter to it)

If you use mortar pit don't build in on front line, behind the line just enough to hit the mid vp, therefor leigs don't have range to counter your pit.

bofors can lock on side, for example your natural fuel and vp (depend on map)

if you want to be abusive you can use arty cover in late game to kill every tank enemy has (especially good vs KT and JT)

don't use tank hunters, just don't. Use AEC to hit p2 (don't be affraid to test double AEC), you may not kill it until you get AT gun but will be enough to keep him in bay.

if you have trouble with volks blob try to use 2 vickers (keep them in move to not let leigs wipe it)

Recommend watching vet3event games, it's 2v2 turney and from what i remember there was games vs double okw. Well played and casted game should be more educational than my post ;)
21 Feb 2016, 08:27 AM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2016, 21:52 PMStark
Gonna sound funny but many may change after fixing vet bug. Brits suffers the most currently on it. Corrected vet bonusses should mostly help against okw infantry.

That'll potentially help quite a bit as the game progresses, especially at vet 3 now that scoped Lee-Enfields are getting fixed. However, we don't know for certain when the vet fix is going to happen. I fear it won't be enough anyway.

In the upcoming patch, with AEC (deservedly) nerfed (though typical double nerf from Relic), many of the other issues are still unaddressed.

Sure, UC may no longer delay teching as much (though MP was more the issue than fuel), but it'll still get 2-shot by schreks and cost you that 90 munis flamethrower upgrade, as the vickers one is still garbage.

25lbs get less scatter? Great start! Now they may actually hit something. But again, that wasn't the main issue with them - there's no point being able to hit something if it has no AOE damage. Again, I'd rather have shells that occasionally go a bit wide that are actually a threat, than a slightly more consistent fireworks display.

As for everything else, i.e. Suxton, valentine, over-priced croc, 17lber pop-cap, PIATs, garbage AT-snare, etc. It's still going to suck. But of course the real elephant in the room is not the Brit issues, it's the volks-schrek design. It's just awful, throws risk/reward right out the window and creates a huge imbalance in micro requirement. On top of FREESIDETECH™, it just makes OKW an awful faction to fight.

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2016, 21:52 PMStark
Recommend watching vet3event games, it's 2v2 turney and from what i remember there was games vs double okw. Well played and casted game should be more educational than my post ;)

Cheers, I'll check it out. It'd gone completely under my radar - kinda embarrassing as I personally know Kristof!

TL,DR; I think Brits are going to resume their Pre-AEC suckfest after this patch as virtually all the issues are unaddressed.
21 Feb 2016, 08:48 AM

Brits probably going to suck in 1s and 2s after AEC nerf untill vet fixed.

As for nowday strats, i like to do double hmgs double sections (including starting one) into pit/2aec + glider for frp, aa officier and commandos into lategame stuff, 2 at guns croc or ff and croc, depending on fuel control.

With AECs which you should never lose untill 15m+ mark, worst case scenario trade them for pumas and stugs, mb even something heavier, you should have free map control, easily harass his leigs, and protect your mortar pit. They also can kite volks to death due to better vision and attack range, shrecks are not counter to AEC by any means, only rakketens are serious threat, but then you can flank and kill them on retreat very easily if they are unsupported.

2 HMGS in crucial points give you even easier map control, use trenches with +10 range on vet 1 if there no approporiate buildings.

Then just attack him with commandos, aa officier (dont forget to use op heroic charge in every situation possible), aecs, sections, hmgs, untill there is wehr guy helping OKW guy, last have no chanse to survive something like this with mp wasted on isgs. If he have flak hq by the time you push, just siege it with at guns ground attack, smoke ground attack from aec, also you can use vet1 plane on aa oficier to scout him.

He should be dead long before lategame, especially if you have ally with calliopes, if not, use croc with at guns and ffs to kill everything, just dont forget to kite pzfausts with your croc. Use anvil arty on hqs for extra ownage.

Another good thing in general is AEC and snipers, upgrade AEC (with this strat you can use only one for sniper protection, and avoid mortar pit to save mp) to command vehicle with tactical support asap for later OP arty cover, and spam recon planes to reveal snipers if there wehr player, kill them easily, and bleed him and his temmate to death. You can build two or even 3 of them, there is no counters aside pzwerfers to this as long as you dont put your snipers into really bad position.
21 Feb 2016, 11:09 AM
Patrion 26

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2016, 08:48 AMJadame!
With AECs which you should never lose untill 15m+ mark, worst case scenario trade them for pumas and stugs, mb even something heavier, you should have free map control, easily harass his leigs, and protect your mortar pit.

(+ all the other good advice) I'm in top 150 in 2s with Brits, so don't lose the AEC unless I'm trading it for something expensive anyway (i.e. stuka, werfer, panther+). Mostly using Spec Weps right now, as I got quite good with it back when AEC was bad (Dank hunters are great against Luchs and that AT nade levels the field vs P.IVs and Panthers when it pens). Just started using Vanguard more for the glider and Air Landing Officer (that charge is hilarious with double Brens!) but it lacks the lategame arty punch that Spec Weps has (delete buildings/strongpoints when combined with Croc flares).

Trying to avoid the unoriginally named 'Tactical Support' regiment (Tac support is also USF Calliope!) as it's pretty cheesy right now, borderline cheating - maybe I should abuse it more, not as if my opponents wouldn't do the same. Shame that the Fwd Obs Post is garbage and the doc lacks elite infantry/armour.

I disagree with the 'free map control' point you make about AEC though. Any OKW player that's worth his salt will keep his schreks together/support with snare inf, lay mines, bring up a Raketten and use cover and sight blockers to make life difficult, meaning the most you can do is harass and poke with the occasional dive, rather than running rampant like you can in 3s and 4s against clueless blobbers.

Lately I've found mortar pit to be a bigger risk than a sniper on most maps, as it becomes a magnet for both opponents to attack, and all it takes is a single volks squad to slip past unseen (or double LeIG ofc) and that's 400MP down the drain.

Oooh, just watched the first V3E match, and though the allied team did make some pretty big mistakes later on (Royal Arty doctrine lolwut), even after a decent earlygame they were still struggling to stay on the map with calliopes. Even at top, tournament level play there was instances of volks blobbing, and when you combine it with Vet fireflies bouncing panthers and tigers, whilst getting 2-hit by the JT it makes you want to just give up on this game. I'll watch more and hopfully it won't completely kill my remaining faith in relic to balance this mess :brad:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★